Shirataki Noodles, yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• Infauna
    Options
    I've never tried them but the texture looks rubbery and gross. I can't imagine they taste good but to each their own.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i tried them with marinara and with a chicken noodle soup recipe. i liked them better with marinara but overall i dont think id spend the $3.50 to buy them again. make sure to rinse in hot water for 5 mins or boil for a minute. some people that are used to asian noodle textures and enjoy rice noodles may like these more. hungry girl has a bunch of shirataki noodle recipes on her website.
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have not tried them but I eat Dreamfields angel hair pasta, it is available at Wal mart and it has a low glycemic index & you only absord a small amt of the carbs in them. They taste just as good as regular to me.
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    I can only eat them with cream or chicken/mushroom. If they're plain? YUCK! I'd rather have real noodles any day though...
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the feeling of them being like a mass of worms in my mouth.
  • AblazeRiver
    AblazeRiver Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Taste is fine, texture is weird. They're good in baked noodle dishes.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Love. Had them today for lunch. My ones are the yam type. I rinsed really well, dry fried then added to already cooked chicken, some vegies, added low sodium soy sauce & thai sweet chili sauce.
    I am going to try chiken noodle soup sometime.
    There are some posts on recipes board with shirataki noodle recipes.
    I might try the seaweed yam noodles next! Not sure on the exact name but saw them beside the ones i bought.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    If you don't like shirataki try kelp noodles. Better consistency, no off putting flavor or smell once rinsed prior to cooking. Here's a couple of dishes I've made with them.

Chicken longrice
    6003406921_715458f88b.jpg
    chicken.longrice by ktvamp, on Flickr

Pansit

6266542802_79bbe89e4f.jpg

Pancit made with kelp noodles by ktvamp, on Flickr

Oh do u have a recipe?
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4klhiE6bx1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

I buy Miracle Noodle and LOVEEEEEEE them!! They are EXCELLENT in stir-fry! Very similar to rice noodles (if you get the fettucini style)

Just had them for dinner tonight with onions, bell peppers, chopped asparagus, and chopped up steak, stir-fried in a bit of olive oil and soy sauce-YUM!

Like everyone else said, try to avoid the smell when you open the package. Pour them in a strainer and rince THE HELL out of them under cold water (about a minute or so....move them around with your hands so that they all get rinsed really well) and then boil for 5-10 minutes before you add them to your stir-fry (Or whatever dish you decide to make).

I typically have them once a week when I'm craving some Asian flavors :smile:
  • bethanykf
    Options
    Big fat NAY here. I can't think of another food in recent memory that literally made me gag. I tried - you can't beat the calorie content, but the texture was like chewing rubber bands. I followed the instructions to a T so not sure why it didn't work out. :sick:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Horrible in my opinion. I tried every way possible to prepare them. Still horrible.

I would rather have real pasta and eat less in my other meals!
  • bethanykf
    Options
    ^^THIS^^
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Shirataki Noodles, zucchini, bell peppers, bean sprouts, onions, and mushrooms, stir-fried in a bit of olive oil and soy sauce :smile:

vybh1g.jpg
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I tried their cousin, kelp noodles, last night and...never again. I'd much rather have a small healthy portion of excellent pasta than a giant pile of ick.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Shirataki Noodles, zucchini, bell peppers, bean sprouts, onions, and mushrooms, stir-fried in a bit of olive oil and soy sauce :smile:

Angela,

Are those the tofu-shirataki? I hear those are a bit better tasting and softer.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind them, it's more of a mind over matter thing because they are stored in liquid and kept just at room temperature.. they can be slimy.. but once you add some pasta sauce and veggies it's actually pretty tasty. The one thing i did notice tho is that they just went right through me. It was like they werent even being broken down. Kind of weird.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i like em. used to eat them often in japan. i think nabe meals are the tastiest way i've had them, but i just like them.

ETA for the love of all thats good in the world, wash them off before you eat them.
  • myraknits
    myraknits Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ^^THIS^^
    ^^^^
    Tapeworms!!
    OMG, the horror.
  • ejay90
    ejay90 Posts: 42
    Options
    get them, so good, i make a dry fried veg stir fry with a portion of those noodles for 64 calories a serving!! usually have it in the eveining
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I tried them and tried to like them but I don't like them...have two bags in the refrigerator just sittin there..i might as well toss them tomorrow. I have a spaghetti squash to cook and would rather that for noodle replacement or cauliflower...I really wanted to like them, but NOT for me....

As a diabetic celiac, I REALLY wanted to like them, but, yeah, NOT for me. I'm sticking with my zucchini, spaghetti squash and cauliflower substitutes