NSV: The little black dress with pictures

Options
I have always avoided shopping - I hate everything about the experience, not the least of which is the fact that I haven't had success buying plus size off-the-rack clothes.

So when my husband forgot our garment bag this weekend for a mini-holiday in Vegas, I was devastated. He is naturally tall and slim and looks amazing in everything... so "let's just go shopping and pick something up" seemed like a no-brainer to him. Not to me. Where would I find, within walking distance, a plus-size shop? Would Lane Bryant HAVE evening wear? WHERE on earth could I find my size on a budget and in an hour or less???

So we ventured to an upscale mall called "The Fashion Show." Seriously.... every size and fashion fear I have came rushing into my brain. Despite good success with weight loss, I'm not where I want to be. I hate my arms. I still don't have much of a waist. Would I be be able to find nylons to fit my 6'0'' frame? Ughhhh.

Well. I *found* a Calvin Klein dress... OFF THE RACK... that FIT. Not only did it fit, but I LOVED IT. OFF THE RACK. For those that have never struggled and been super-size, I can't find the words to explain what it's like to be able to find something in a REGULAR store, in a REGULAR size... and have it FIT. It's almost enough to bring me to tears.

Then I realized I didn't even snap a picture while all dolled up. So after our 5 hour drive home, I decided to pull on the dress as-is just to get a picture. Please keep in mind, this is without the proper undergarments (aka just a sports bra here!), no nylons, no shapewear, no makeup - just me and the dress with a phone and a camera. Someday I'll take a full on glam picture in the dress in all it's glory, but I needed to document this in the raw, while it was fresh.

I am SO PROUD. You might think after losing as much as I have that I take things like this for granted. But I don't. My brain hasn't caught up with my body. I see mostly flaws. I typically still see a 500+ fat girl. I tend to focus on what I have left instead of what I have accomplished. So, I'm trying to take a few moments and just.... celebrate. 'Cause damn.... I DID THIS.

Thanks for listening.

2080e832-64bf-4634-83ba-7beaa4e5597a_zps06cf7c09.jpg

34c3efa9-c8b5-4367-b564-b38b2307ec29_zpsffc16fe7.jpg

0b6cb419-9196-405c-a181-c48e9cfbc6c7_zpsa6f725ee.jpg

Replies

• carey1986
    carey1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You Look amazing in that dress! :D so happy for you! I hope to join you in that happy place sometime soon!
  • Katersamo
    Katersamo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful!
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well Done! You look amazing. Keep up the good work, and don't forget to post the glamour shot!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the shapewear and makeup anyway. You're gorgeous without all that! What a great dress, btw! I have yet to find the perfect LBD for myself, so I'm jealous!
  • SmokinFlowers
    Options
    Congrats girl, you look so good! You've got to get all dolled up more often. ;)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    This is a really nice post and I am very happy for you. I like your hair style. :]
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I hope your brain catches up soon, because you look stunning! So excited for you!
  • scamp76
    Options
    A-MAZ-ING!!!!! You look fantastic and your story is inspiring!!!! Way to go! Keep up the good work!
  • princesspamelatransformation
    Options
    Love that dress and your inspirational story. Thanks for sharing. You look curvaceous...You go girl!!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all that responded - it is appreciated. Sometimes a virtual pat on the back really helps.

I also wanted to add another thought. We often speak in terms of "befores" and "afters." Well, I'm a "during" and I still consider myself a success story. This is in no way intended to diminish or cast shadow on folks that have achieved their ultimate success and are at their goal weights... that's *awesome* and I will be there someday. But for all the rest of us, I want each of you to feel the buoyant way I do right now... and that's still 40 pounds AWAY from my goal weight. This lifestyle is everlasting (I can't even say it's a JOURNEY that's LONG... that would imply there is an end to healthy living... and there isn't) and sometimes we need to stop and smell the roses... get that virtual pat on the back... and scream a collective "WE DID IT!" even if it's technically a "We're DOING it!"

So I'm calling on all those who are working hard and seeing success- post about those successes NOW. Celebrate NOW! Keep it going but send up a cheer and embrace your inner 'AFTER!' We deserve it!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! You're doing great. Besides the good work you're doing with your diet, your writing is excellent. I wish you continued success.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    YOU ROCK!!! WTG!!!
  • Mizzpeace
    Mizzpeace Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BRAVO! Job well done! You deserve this moment. Take it all in. The dress looks nice on you! You have a reason to be proud. Hard work and consistency = results! Keep it up! The best is still yet to come. Such an inspiration :-)
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS YOU ARE AMAZING :love: :love: :love:

Not only is your weight loss amazing but you LOOK amazing here! Honestly, after reading all your down-talk (about not wearing proper under garments and not really doing hair or make-up) I wasn't expecting this! And I mean that in the nicest way possible ahahha :flowerforyou:

You DO have a waist and the cut of the dress is so flattering on you! You also pull off the colour so well! Not many can, in my opinion :) Simply gorgeous! You make me feel eager to go out and get a Little Black Dress right now! hahaha

Keep going you're phenomenal! And I agree in enjoying the moment, instead of always looking ahead :smooched:
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You are AMAZING and you ROCK that dress!!
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    I'm glad you are proud of yourself, you deserve to be!!!!! You look beautiful :bigsmile:

PS if you look like that without all the fixings, I think people are gonna think you photo-shopped if you do a all glammed up pic! lol
  • Mrs_Padgett
    Mrs_Padgett Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • Cherie7575
    Options
    Beautiful - thanks for sharing!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have always avoided shopping - I hate everything about the experience, not the least of which is the fact that I haven't had success buying plus size off-the-rack clothes.

So when my husband forgot our garment bag this weekend for a mini-holiday in Vegas, I was devastated. He is naturally tall and slim and looks amazing in everything... so "let's just go shopping and pick something up" seemed like a no-brainer to him. Not to me. Where would I find, within walking distance, a plus-size shop? Would Lane Bryant HAVE evening wear? WHERE on earth could I find my size on a budget and in an hour or less???

So we ventured to an upscale mall called "The Fashion Show." Seriously.... every size and fashion fear I have came rushing into my brain. Despite good success with weight loss, I'm not where I want to be. I hate my arms. I still don't have much of a waist. Would I be be able to find nylons to fit my 6'0'' frame? Ughhhh.

Well. I *found* a Calvin Klein dress... OFF THE RACK... that FIT. Not only did it fit, but I LOVED IT. OFF THE RACK. For those that have never struggled and been super-size, I can't find the words to explain what it's like to be able to find something in a REGULAR store, in a REGULAR size... and have it FIT. It's almost enough to bring me to tears.

Then I realized I didn't even snap a picture while all dolled up. So after our 5 hour drive home, I decided to pull on the dress as-is just to get a picture. Please keep in mind, this is without the proper undergarments (aka just a sports bra here!), no nylons, no shapewear, no makeup - just me and the dress with a phone and a camera. Someday I'll take a full on glam picture in the dress in all it's glory, but I needed to document this in the raw, while it was fresh.

I am SO PROUD. You might think after losing as much as I have that I take things like this for granted. But I don't. My brain hasn't caught up with my body. I see mostly flaws. I typically still see a 500+ fat girl. I tend to focus on what I have left instead of what I have accomplished. So, I'm trying to take a few moments and just.... celebrate. 'Cause damn.... I DID THIS.

Thanks for listening.

2080e832-64bf-4634-83ba-7beaa4e5597a_zps06cf7c09.jpg

34c3efa9-c8b5-4367-b564-b38b2307ec29_zpsffc16fe7.jpg

0b6cb419-9196-405c-a181-c48e9cfbc6c7_zpsa6f725ee.jpg

Smokin! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your NSV and all your progress! Good luck with your continued loss!
  • Adobogirl
    Adobogirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Dang girl! You look GOOD! Thanks for the inspiration. To NSV!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!