Indian Restaurant

Options
Hi

I need some advise.
I am going to an Indian Restaurant for my Father-in-Laws birthday and I have no idea how to log it on my diary.

Any ideas?

Replies

• davidshutter
    davidshutter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My advice?
    Enjoy it!

If you want to be "good" give yourself about 1k calories, and don't worry too much about what you order. Being disciplined for the rest of the week will see you through, no trouble!

Maybe best to avoid the Keema Naans, though!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My advice?
    Enjoy it!

If you want to be "good" give yourself about 1k calories, and don't worry too much about what you order. Being disciplined for the rest of the week will see you through, no trouble!

Maybe best to avoid the Keema Naans, though!

This, and stay the hell away from anything with too much Ghi on/in it. xD
  • badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Indian foods in the database. Spelling is variable, might want to take notes from the menu. Tandoori-baked dishes are "safest"; they're marinated in a yogurt marinade and baked; they don't have a lot of added fat or sauces. Watch out for things like the naan bread - delicious, but soooo easy to eat too much. But don't deny yourself the culinary adventure!
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    That is a tough one!!!!!!! Write down the names of what you get. You can guess on portion sizes when you enter it. (you don't want to be writting things down and not talking with others)

Of course there will likely be some things not on the MFP system but you can estimate. For example you can enter lamb or chicken and then do a quick add for the sauce. (think high calorie though just to be sure)

And don't go crazy on the NAN that stuff will destroy a colorie deficiet real quick.

However in all honesty you could just go and enjoy yourself. One day should not be the end of your long term commitment. So if you want just go and have fun. Try not to go to crazy but enjoy yourself. Then log it as 5,000,000,000 quick add colories. That is what i did for new years eve. lol :bigsmile:
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Agree with what everyone else says! It's a lot of delicious calories!

There are a lot of indian foods already logged, so just have a look at what's there already.
  • amie290478
    amie290478 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, Try and decide what you going to have to eat before you go (avoid cream rich curries like chicken tikka masala if you can). Then google search how many calories in ***** . Obviously not 100% accurate as it depends on variations from the chef, but it is close enough. Then just quick add the calories and make a note of it in your food notes at the bottom of the page. Good luck.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    Ok I have had this happen too

What I did was played hooky from MFP that day only, I found that my tastes had changed and I couldn't eat anywhere near as much as before and the cream heavy sauces did not appeal. The meal was a buffet so I did try most things, I even had dessert.

Oh and I also lost 3 lbs that week.
  • FabnFit2013
    FabnFit2013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Naan - a big no.
    go for chapathi, rotis - this is wheat based and not much cals.

anything that is cream based - has lot of cashew paste and cream - you can limit the sauce and take more of the meat/veggie I guess.
    eg panner tikka masala, butter chicken, malai kofta

go for panner (indian cheese), palak (spinach), dhal ( lentils), channa (chik peas) and any other veggie saute they may have.
    and most of the above are in MFP tried and confirmed by the members.

hope this helps
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We went out for Indian food yesterday. I logged the couple of bits that were straightforward (naan, pilau rice, bombay potatoes etc), then did a Quick Add calories for the rest. I figured the whole meal would probably come in around 1000 Cal, so didn't snack in the morning, and had a *very* light evening meal as I still wasn't hungry! OK, so I went over for the day - but so long as I have a couple of days this week where I'm around 100 under, it'll be fine. And frankly, even if I don't compensate this week, there's no long-term harm done. 1000 extra calories means less than 1/3 lb weightloss. I can live with carrying the extra 7oz for the sake of a nice meal with my family! :wink:
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    A quick thank you to everyone who posted this. Super helpful even years later!