Can't seem to get..

Options
No matter how much I seem to work out, I can't seem to lose inches off my thighs, hips or butt. Any good exercises to get those areas? I've been doings lunges. Climb lots of stairs for work.
Jessica

Replies

• jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. But everyone says you can't spot reduce. I do a lot of lunges, squats, hip lifts, etc and just hope for the best. Eventually we will start losing fat in that area too. It just takes time and patience.
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started running, I've lost several inches all over....like the previous poster said, you can't spot reduce so maybe some total body workouts can help. But I definitely feel like running helped me tremendously!!
    Good luck!! :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You can't really spot reduce. You have to lose more lbs over all to see difference, you can left weights with exercises thst target that area to help make it look tight for when you lose enough weight and the muscle starts to show.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Are you doing measurements to make sure you are really not losing inches. The way I lose weight, I have a hard time telling that I look different. I tend to lose it all over - very proportionally. So I don't ever "feel" like I look different. When I started taking measurements, I could see progress more easily.
  • fitoforty
    fitoforty Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Include cardio workouts to your regimen. I like the elliptical.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Jessica...you're doing it. Keep track of your calorie intake and create a caloric defecit. Your body will eventually shed the excess fat from the areas it sees fit. No spot reducing : ( Sorry.

Fastest way to lose weight is to start lifting weights! More muscle you have, the more calories you burn, the more fat you lose...and no, you won't get bulky.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Im pear shaped and it takes ages to lose off of my hips. Iv lost 3 inches from my waist and 1 off hips in just over 1 month of 30 day shred and other cardio plus kettlebell workouts.
    I agree with SVcat - weight sare great for helping to lose inches and tone/burn more fat
  • tracymccownlafon
    Options
    I agree, for losing on your hips and thighs, I just don't think there is much better than the 30 Day Shred. I am a loyal fan of P90X but when it comes to shaping up in the "women's problem areas" I think Jillian Michael is the queen!
  • fivecardstudpts
    fivecardstudpts Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hmmm, might have to check out this 30 day shred. Anyone ever check out this Brazilian Butt lift workout?? lol, sorry, cant sleep and infomercials are a bad mix.

jessica
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Even when I was a 105lb ballet dancer, I still had a butt.
    It wasn't til I was older I learned to appreciate it. Some of us are just made with certain shapes.
    Cardio & strength for everything really. Pilates is also great for more lengthening of your body. I always feel good after any Pilates class too.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a few inches in my thighs last year about 4 in 6 months doing a lot of inclined trail hiking. I would hike every other day for at least an hour uphill at about a 6% incline. Some trails were steeper. Sometimes I would carry an 8lb medicine ball in my backpack. I would stay in the "fat burning zone" for heart rate. I would just go slow and steady and take in the scenery. Also have you tried jump squats? Oh man they will work ya, also mabey some weighted deep prayer squats.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Walking uphill will tighten everything up in those problem areas! I love Rosemary Conley's workouts (20 mins is about as much as I can take!) and she's got several which help with toning thighs, bottom etc. But as others have said the change comes with weightloss - toning just makes it a bit firmer!