When friends say the WRONG thing!

Options
2»

Replies

• Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Your friend is kinda dumb. BTW, I'd love to weigh 145 pounds. I think you're doing fantastic.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I realize I'm making a sweeping generalization, but guys often have no frickin' clue what women really weigh. They've been oggling Playboy centerfolds since puberty, and those women are 5'10 and never weigh more than 120 pounds. So, he sees you, a gorgeous, sexy woman... and naturally he's going to assume you don't weigh any more than the centerfolds. My friends refer to it as "boy pounds." It's kind of like dog years.

I know! We're such idiots. To combat such sweeping ignorance, be sure to let every man you know how much you really weigh, along with full-body shots if you're on facebook -- that should solve the problem. :drinker:
  • invincible_summer
    Options
    I started my diet last August at a BMI of around 24. At the time I posted on facebook about my diet because I was excited about eating healthily and exercising. Then one person felt the need to send several private messages saying "I think you are orthorexic. You don't need to diet and shouldn't be. I used to think you were smart."

It was intrusive and rude, so I blocked him. It made me stop posting about dieting though. Now I only mention it to a close friend who also uses MFP. My BMI is now around 20/21 (18lb less) and I look better. Just ignore the person.
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing those 3lbs!!!

People can say things without thinking first. I am sure the friend meant their statement is the kindest way,but remember who you are doing this for=YOU. I hope you had other friends who just shared in the joy and happiness you had for yourself that day and let the rest go because it doesn't matter..
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Maybe I would have taken it to mean more "you don't look like that" if he'd seen me in the last three months. XD I know he meant the best, but it was just...a really lousy way to start my day.

Thank you all for the support and encouragement! <3

He? It was a guy?

I realize I'm making a sweeping generalization, but guys often have no frickin' clue what women really weigh. They've been oggling Playboy centerfolds since puberty, and those women are 5'10 and never weigh more than 120 pounds. So, he sees you, a gorgeous, sexy woman... and naturally he's going to assume you don't weigh any more than the centerfolds.

My friends refer to it as "boy pounds." It's kind of like dog years.

I had a similar thing happen. I was so excited after a few months on MFP when I clicked the button to finish my food diary, and it said in five weeks I'd weigh 140 pounds. YES! I hadn't been 140 in years! I called my husband over to my computer to show him the message, and he said, "I don't get it... isn't that MORE than you weigh now?" :laugh:

I took it as a compliment. And so should you.

Boy pounds......I love it! Made me laugh this morning.....thanks!
  • Hmmcglothl
    Hmmcglothl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It blows my boyfriend's mind that at my thinnest I weighed 140 lbs. I'm 5' 8" and any smaller than 140lbs and I look like death. Just simply way too skinny in the 130's. All collar bone and skinny neck. He guessed my weight at 125lbs max. I loved him for the compliment but laughed at the look on his face when I told him the truth. Most men have absolutely NO clue what a woman weighs.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

My friends refer to it as "boy pounds." It's kind of like dog years.

I like this :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it was well intentioned but not well thought out. I would keep specific numbers to yourself from now on, though.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    5ftnFun
    why would you post something unsupporting and they return again to continue commenting on the OP
    I am sure there are plenty other places on the internet for you to complain about things, just saying....
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think it was probably meant as a compliment too - he meant that he'd have estimated your weight as lighter than it is. I have had friends who really do look lighter than they are, and I have been taken aback when they told me their weights. I'm a terrible judge of weight anyway, and I bet I wouldn't notice if somebody gained or lost 15 lb. Well done on the 3lb loss - that's 20% of your goal done already!