Alcohol

Options
I have decided to not drink for a month or two due to how crummy alcohol makes me feel. Anyone else out there given it up and if so have you noticed any significant benefits when it comes to your diet or weight loss? Feel free to add me I would love some support!

Replies

• Carmody101
    Carmody101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No way. I have two boys (age 5 and 4). I need wine.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I gave it up years ago because I used it as a crutch, like food. I have a very addictive personality and it's just never been a good thing for me. Feel WAY better without it and know I don't have to deal with the calories, hangovers, and all the other 'bad' stuff that comes along with it. If it's causing a problem in your life, then maybe it's time to give it up... one day at a time.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    There is a new documentary show out there.. its on national georgraphoic. Of course, I have no idea what the name of it is. But, I dvr-ed it yesterday and watched it last night. I give a biological understanding and uses imagery of the body of what specific drugs do to you. They interviewed a gentleman who was by far the worst alcoholic I have ever witnessed (and I'm a social worker). He had a physical done by a physician and it was frightening. He had convulsions, he only ate 1 days worth of calories per week because his ability to eat was supressed and his pancreas hurt too much due to the damage, he had fluid coming out of his ears, his cuts and scrathes wouldn't heal and they would get immediately infected because he killed so many skin cells due to lack of hydration from the booze, and it goes on. He went to treatment and died 8 days in because he was THAT dependent.

....so yes. I am done drinking.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    There is a new documentary show out there.. its on national georgraphoic. Of course, I have no idea what the name of it is. But, I dvr-ed it yesterday and watched it last night. I give a biological understanding and uses imagery of the body of what specific drugs do to you. They interviewed a gentleman who was by far the worst alcoholic I have ever witnessed (and I'm a social worker). He had a physical done by a physician and it was frightening. He had convulsions, he only ate 1 days worth of calories per week because his ability to eat was supressed and his pancreas hurt too much due to the damage, he had fluid coming out of his ears, his cuts and scrathes wouldn't heal and they would get immediately infected because he killed so many skin cells due to lack of hydration from the booze, and it goes on. He went to treatment and died 8 days in because he was THAT dependent.

Me too except scotch and wine and some gin in the summer.:smile:
  • mattyb1971
    Options
    Count me in. I'd like to see if I can go for the rest of February.

I travel extensively for my job - including internationally - and work in an extremely "social" culture. I have cut back on alcohol significantly since I started on MFP, but I am far from perfect. The longest stretch I've gone since August is about a month. More typically, it's 4-5 days dry followed by a couple of crazy days.

Without a doubt, the stretches where I have not imbibed have produced better results in my weight loss and my general well-being.
  • KoGettinFit
    KoGettinFit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No way. I have two boys (age 5 and 4). I need wine.

AGREED ^^ I have 2 girls (13 & 9) I either have alcohol or lose my sanity :drinker:
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Going long stretches without drinking, then tying one on for a few days is called BINGE drinking and it's no better (sometimes worse) than drinking every day... something to think about.
  • jimed43
    jimed43 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    19 months sober...

I am sure it was a huge hindrance to my weight loss in the past...

Now it is just one last thing I need to worry about.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Giving up alochol is going to help you lose weight and life a healthier lifestyle. Emptry calories is all it is. It's no secret that drinking isn't good for you..

As for me.. i like beer.. and wine.. and vodka.. lol.. but I am trying to cut back.. a little.. lol.

Actually doctors day women should drink 2 bottles of red wine a day.. Um... yea.. bottles right?? Well that's what I heard..
    LOL
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hmm, if anyone is a booze hound, add me.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I very rarely drink (honestly, like once every few months.) I was never a big drinker though, so I don't know how it's impacted weight loss. It's lot easier to feel motivated to exercise when I don't have a hangover though (which seems to happen every time as my tolerance is non-existent.) Not to mention that I usually drink beer and 3 or 4 beers means no dinner.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Think this all depends on how much you drink, how it makes you feel and of you know you have one now and then because you enjoy it, or you know your using is as a crutch.

I don't drink often as I don't feel I react to it very well. My heart starts racing and I flush hot. Just doesn't feel right. I've not had a drink since October and haven't missed it. I've not been on girls nights out, been doing things like having lunch and a nice walk with them instead. We've all really enjoyed that.

Can't promise I'll never ever drink another drink again (there's a bottle of baileys in my cupboard! Yum) but it's not something I wish to do on a regular basis. My problem is I know I don't have the confidence to get up and dance with the girls whilst I'm sober and I love to go dancing with them! That's the only thing I'm missing about it! X
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Woooah. If you choose to stop drinking, power to you, but that, as you said, was an extreme alcoholic... that hardly happens from drinking in moderation.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have decided to not drink for a month or two due to how crummy alcohol makes me feel. Anyone else out there given it up and if so have you noticed any significant benefits when it comes to your diet or weight loss? Feel free to add me I would love some support!

I did all of January without drinking, and it has worked really well, I've lost just over 14lb. I thought more about what I was eating,and there was less chance of a drunken slip up, but apart from that not much difference to be honest!
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    i've never been a massive fan of alcohol since forever. my dad passed when i was 14 because he was severely addicted to alcohol, i've been against people drinking a lot & i will make comments about it, i will tell them to be careful, and i know an alcoholic when i see one BUT i do drink, when i go out and sometimes have a few at home. definitely a good idea to quit & i will support you if you add me :smile:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I took a wrong turn back at Albuquerque... I don't belong here.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I saw this!!! I was CRUSHED when he ended up dying. :(
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love me a good single malt scotch, but at ~70 calories per ounce, it's just not part of my lifestyle anymore. I still have a little sometimes, but not several times per week like I used to.
  • SGocka
    SGocka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Once I decided to lose weight and be healthy I gave up alcohol completely.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I mostly gave up drinking. I will maybe have one glass of beer or one cocktail about every other or every third month. I typically log it when I do.

I never drank a lot regularly - a beer here or there with dinner - but I would binge drink during the holidays or at parties, and it had a negative affect on my liver, my health, and my weight loss (my doc said that it would have been better for me to have a beer or two a day vs. not drink all week long and binge drink at a party). The liver stuff was relatively scary, and I really hated logging the empty calories, so giving it up for the most part has been easy.

The hardest part about giving up alcohol has been peer pressure and questions, believe it or not. I don't exactly like giving a detailed medical history or explain that no, we're not pregnant, to folks who question why you aren't drinking. I've actually found it's easier to just order a diet coke with lime or a soda with lime to prevent this from happening. As long as you're holding something, no one asks. But I didn't imagine that in my 30's that would be an issue, but it sure is! Not big enough of an issue to deter me, but big enough that I'll go up to the bar and order a soda with lime to keep questions away. Bartenders are usually pretty cool about this too.