Dry skin, especially legs and arms

Options
I am 60 but I still think there must be ways to get rid of the dry skin. When the light hits my legs just right, they look like scales on some sort of "creature":( Well, first, I know I am not getting enough water. Someone said avocados are great to eat for dry skin. I am just looking for people who have either always had dry skin and got rid of it mainly through nutrition, or, people who got it eventually and found nutritional ways of dealing with it. I really want success stories if I can get some.

I see tons of lotions everywhere I shop, new this new that, but I believe it's more of an inside job although if there is also something "healthy" I should put on each day, yes, I am willing to listen. My facial moisturizer is Aveeno right now and I can't say it is the best, who knows. Everyone has different types of skin too. Mine is normal to dry, dryer the older I get. Now that's just so attractive, yuck, HELP!! denise;)

Replies

• christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I get really dry skin if my synthroid levels are off. Do you have hypothyroidism by chance? The best lotion I have found is suave, believe it or not. Just the plain kind..no fancy smell. It's fairly inexpensive and works great. I put it on as soon as I get out of the shower to lock in the moisture. The winter is rough on skin since the air is so dry. Do you have a lot of static in your house? If so, that could be making it worse. You may want to try a humidifier. Best wishes :)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Wow, you hit on a couple of things that I think are right on! No thyroid issues but yes, it is dry and colder this year! I didn't think of that. Also, static, definitely, turn the lights out and sparks everywhere, LOL!! I will try the suave honey, tired of spending big money on stuff that doesn't do any better then a less expensive product!

Thank you much, I so appreciate your input!!! denise:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • sundancerjt2000
    sundancerjt2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing (I think) and I had been seeing a dermatologist for it. What you most likely have is psoriasis and i have been battling it for 4 years now. Only is bad in wintertime (I live in NH). Oddly the only thing that worked was sunlight. I was taking light treatments for awhile and it completely disappeatred in wintertime, but it was very expensive and i would not recommend it for that very reason. I find as far as otc creams go, cetsphil works the best at stopping the itchiness. I do not drink enough water, and I am trying to up my intake. It is very hard to get 2 liters of water down in a day (at least to me)
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    As I age I've noticed how dry my skin has become also. I just started using Dove Gentle Exfoliating body wash with Nutrium. That makes my skin really soft and then I use an all natural body lotion with AHA. My skin is looking so much better!
  • Me48Plus2
    Options
    COCONUT OIL !!!! It's amazing.
  • EddieDoodle
    EddieDoodle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also try using olive oil on your skin, it's good for it and if you use a light kind it has no odor (if that sort of thing bothers you). I would also second the use of a humidifier. I live in a cold, dry climate and could not survive the winter without mine!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    COCONUT OIL !!!! It's amazing.

I agree :-) Olive oil works well too.

Edited to add: Don't try all the expensive fancy stuff, they will probably make it worse. Most lotions contain glycerin or alcohol which end up drying out your skin more. And don't use exfoliating products, they also dry out your skin by removing the oil you do need. Besides coconut oil or olive oil which can be a little heavy I also use Grapeseed oil or jojoba.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm in New England as well, I drink a crap ton of water (like 4-7 LITRES a day)

I've got dry skin but it has been better that I've been eating avocados (never know there was a correlation til now)

I use Neutrogena face cream for my face (obvs) and I use Gold Bond Ultimate (healing or softening) for the rest of my body.
    I use Softsoap bodywash with scrubbing particles in it plus scrubbing gloves (from The Body Shop)
    If it's band enough, I use vaseline & cotton gloves or socks (hands vs feet) - yeah totally learned that from my gram =]

You could try Lubriderm, Eucerin, Cetaphil - I've had reactions to those so I don't use them.

I've heard coconut oil helps.
    Doesn't taking pre-natals help too?

Humidifer might help too
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    I have mega dry skin and I DO drink a lot of water. I'm so glad you posted this topic because nothing besides cortisone (applied liberally everyday) seems to work. I'll have to try eating avocado and some of these other suggestions. Thanks again!!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I had dry itchy patches on my legs which did not respond to any lotion except Gold Bond ultra healing lotion.I am also 60.The Gold Bond worked immediately.The only drawback is that it costs $10.00 unless you can find a coupon or sale.Sometimes Walgreens has buy one get one half off.Also Vaseline lotion in the Brown bottle with cocoa butter works well.
  • mollylookalike
    mollylookalike Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    small jar of vasaline (can be generic)
    two jars of Vitamin E (can be generic)
    bottle of baby lotion (any kind - I use the Vanilla Oatmeal kind)

put all in a bowl and use your mixer to mix well - you may need a couple of extra containers because this makes A LOT, but we go through it really fast in my family.

I found this on pinterest. I'm sure you could change out the ingredients (coconut oil, etc), but this works on our cracked feet and hands, not to mention our scales.

Hope this helps! :)
  • katt2_d
    Options
    The other thing you may want to try is dry brushing your skin before taking a shower. There are many websites that show you how -- just search "How to Dry Brush".

After showering, within three minutes of drying-off, apply moisturizer.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I used to formulate lotion. I've made lotion for lots of big name companies.

The BEST thing you can do is put some PURE 100% Shea butter, or Coconut oil, or cocoa butter on your skin. Even sweet almond oil, or flax oil.

Avoid using products that have color or fragrance in them.
    Avoid using anything with mineral oil, or petrolatum in them.

Edit to add: Don't use mineral oil because it just sits on the surface on your skin. It doesn't actually penetrate the skin and repair. Your skin will "feel" better to the touch, but ti won't be better, or repairing it's self. Plus mineral oil and petrolatum products are VERY bad for you.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have mega dry skin and I DO drink a lot of water. I'm so glad you posted this topic because nothing besides cortisone (applied liberally everyday) seems to work. I'll have to try eating avocado and some of these other suggestions. Thanks again!!!

Yikes, careful with the cortisone, the more you use the more your skin becomes dependent on it. It's also known to cause skin dermatitis with prolonged use. Try natural oils instead and see if that helps.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I use Coconut Oil in the cooking section works great! The showers strips away all of oils and so when we use the lotions it's not really getting the oils we need.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    lots of interesting ideas!:drinker:
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    The skin on my lower legs is dry and scaley. I was reading recently that it can be caused by poor circulation, and I do tend to retain water in my lower legs and feet, so I know my circulation isn't the best. I've been scrubbing my legs like crazy with a bath puff when I take a shower in the hopes of encouraging circulation and I apply a body butter (Clinique) when I get out of the shower. I'm not sure if it's really helping much, but I haven't been very diligent either. The next thing that I'm going to try is an exfolliating scrub.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil. Eat it and put it on your skin. Heck you can put it in your hair for that matter. I have severe eczema, and I use coconut oil on my face to help control the scaling. I also use emu oil- that stuff is amazing, but it can be expensive. But you also asked about an inside-out approach, so I would add besides eating a tablespoon or two of coconut oil a day, you should also consider taking an omega-3 supplement. Or adding some healthy fats back into your diet- flax seeds, salmon, avocado, sardines, etc.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    The skin on my legs gets so dry it makes me crazy. It itches with the dryness. The only thing that gives me any relief is Gold Bond Extra strength lotion.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Shea butter is amazing, but make sure you get it from a fair-trade company like this one: www.alaffia.com. And don't forget your water!