Anyone know about Plantar Faciitis?

Options

Replies

• ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had it and the doc said it would just keep coming back. Saw a physiotherapist, tried inserts, better runing shoes and also repeatedly plunging into ice water/warm water (ice/heat therapy). Nothing helped. When I stopped running for good, it went away. Had some terrible times with it though, dragging my leg after a run so I know how you feel. Not the worst damage I've had to my legs but definitely forced me to change my workout regime.
  • jcamer12
    jcamer12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Had it really bad for about 18 months. Ended up wearing night splints and getting custom orthotics. Those were the only two things that really got me past the pain. As another said, ALWAYS wear shoes, not just flip flops or house shoes. Rolling your foot on a frozen juice can will help healing as will immersing your foot in a tub of warm rice (zap in microwave). Some running stores sell sock-like splints that are much more comfortable than the older Lexan type. Good luck with your healing. This injury (actually micro-tears in the facia) takes a long time to heal...
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had it too along with major crippling back pain. I decided to see a chiropractor for my back where I found out my hips were extremely out of alignment. After one adjustment my foot pain just went away. I can always tell when I need my hips adjusted because my foot starts hurting again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
  • sjanney007
    Options
    I am the office manager at our local physical therapy clinic. We see patients with this condition from time to time. There are things you can do at home (I'm not a PT), but ask your doctor about seeing a therapist. That way, you will get your exercises in and some additional procedures to help with comfort.
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    FitFlops! I had this and couldn't walk for months. Put on a pair of FitFlop sandels that my friends in England told me about and that was it. (FitFlops is an English company). I keep them by my bedside and put them on first thing in the morning. I keep them on around the house. I rarely go barefoot anymore. I got some FitFlop clogs for work and finally they're coming out with a bit more fashionable styles. :) Now I can wear other shoes for special occassions with no problems including tennis shoes for working out. You can buy these at Macy's or online.

The shoes have been life changing for me as I also turn my right foot in and it's helped with that. I have never been able to walk all day without pain and now I have no problems.

Good luck and as others have said see your doc!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It happened to me twice and both times the doctor told me to avoid walking on it (no cheating, very imp) and prescribed Naproxen for a week (it was a prescription drug here until recently) 3x/day with an initial high dose to get started right away. Worked like a miracle, and the pain never came back in more than 10 years. I also got some exercises with a tennis ball and scarf but I did not do them much. Good luck, there is hope for you there!
  • glbragg
    glbragg Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It is possible you have Plantar Faciitis but you could very easily have a Sesamoid Fracture. Most people will describe a deep achy and sharp pain in the ball of the foot behind the big toe with every step taken. It will be difficult to perform many weight bearing activities. Most patients do not have pain when at rest.If you are act with running, sports or anything that involves pounding on the ball of your foot I would get an x-ray. I play basketball and one day I was having a hard time walking. I waited weeks but the pain never went away. So I fianlly went an saw a podiatrist and the doctor didn't see anything wrong and diagnosed me with Plantar Faciitis, I was told rest and stretching would heal me. Eight months went by and I never got better so I went to a different podiatrist and he knew right away what it was. The doctor told me they are very common and can easily be overlooked. It does require surgery to get it fixed but now I'm back to being active. I would recommend finding a good podiatrist and having it x-ray and evaluated.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Been dealing with this issue off and on for 5 years... Have had several coritsone shots (OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!) and physical therapy... Do the recommended exercises, the tennis ball thing works well... Switching to Crocs for awhile helped me, although they are truly ugly they feel sooo good.. You need a good pair of athletic shoes with an insert. I had them made from a cast of my own feet. Surgery was the last option for me and luckily I didn't have to have it. I have a flair every now and then when I really wear the wrong kind of shoes.. Flip flops are the absolute worse and high heels are a close second (I have a very high arch). Orthopedic shoes were recommended to me also, but they are ugly too and very expensive, but your feet are incredibly important and you need to do what is necessary to keep them working. I keep a coke bottle in the freezer with ice also, because it's usually the inflammation that causes so much pain and icing down willl help after a long day! Do the exercises above all... And wear the brace at night if they tell you to..it's a little discomfort, but at least you will be able to walk to the bathroom in the morning... it keeps your foot from moving and aligned straight while you sleep. I was lucky in that I did all those things without having surgery and am much better. Once the weight comes on off it will only get better.

Good Luck!!!
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I developed this after wearing very flat sneakers (Sketchers) for a few months. It really is crippling in the morning!

I never wear shoes that flat with no arch support any more. I got inserts and they were helpful once I got used to them, but that was over five years ago and now I no longer use them. I rarely have pain now as long as I wear athletic shoes with a built up heel and arch support (don't have to be expensive). Unfortunately I have a tough time with any sort of cute shoe or high heel and rarely wear them.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Had a terrible case about 8 months ago. Made it almost impossible to get around w/o pain and had me scared that it was going to be a long-term issue.

The good news is that it is reversable and does get better if you take the advice of many of the previous posters above and make efforts to correct the issue.

For me that meant stretching at night and in the morning and, most importantly, getting inserts and making sure that I was always using footware with proper padding and support. Used cushion inserts and, additionally, a second gel heel inserts as well.

The heel support insert was great because it had the double-effect of giving extra padding plus also helped massage the sore spots while I was walking.

It does take time for this to heal, took me a few months or so, but if you take care of the situation it will definately get better.

Problem is 100% gone from me at this time.
  • bodyblunder
    bodyblunder Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had this condition for 8 years before I could afford to seek treatment and after 3 months of physical therapy it was cured. Then I had ankle surgery and not using my leg caused the PF to come back in that foot. In my case this condition comes from my (naturally high) arches flattening when I stand which also caused my foot to pronate (roll in) which is why arch supports are so important. The tendons and muscles run from your toes around the heel and up the back of your calf (your toes attach about mid calf) which is why the stretching is important to do not just in the foot. Arch supports are a must whether it be in the shoe (Dansko, Birkenstock, Orthoheel etc.) or orthotics you purchase to put in shoes without arch support. When you stand in the morning you put a lot of pressure on those tendons it immediately causes inflammation so it's too late to stretch to prevent further discomfort. You'll only be treating the symptoms and not the cause.

These area some of my recommendations:
    1. Always wear shoes with arch support.
    2. Make sure to stretch your calves before getting out of bed.
    3. Stretch your arches by rolling on a frozen water bottle (especially if already inflammed) or a wooden rod (I got a piece from my local hardware store - closet rod)
    4. Stretch toes by getting on your knees and tucking your toes under and apply pressure. You will be able to sit on your heels in this position as you get better.
    5. A foam roller can also help get knots out of your calf (and any other body part) by rolling your calves over it. If they're tight it WILL be painful but the more you do it the better it will get. If it gets easier you can rest one leg on top of the other to increase resistance. This will have a similar effect to what a massage therapist would do.
    6. You can also try deep tissue massage from a licensed massage therapist (they have them at some physical therapists office).
    7. Put an ice pack on your heel after a you have been on it for an extended period of time and let it rest. If you don't let it rest and heel you will have chronic inflammation.
    8. There are also foods like turmeric and cinnamon that are said to reduce inflammation so try adding those into your diet.
    9. Decreasing or eliminating your intake of red meat, dairy, and refined sugar and eliminating caffeine can also help inflammation.
    10. Seeing a podiatrist, physical therapist/massage therapist, and chiropractor will help. See the podiatrist first so they can give you an analysis for your specific situation first.
    11. Yoga - with downward dogs has helped me a lot!!!

Cortisone shots didn't help me. It just hurt and maybe helped 1 day. My physical therapist said my muscles were tight but also weak so I had to work on strengthing my arches so they could support themselves without arch support, but this will also make them tighter so streching is EXTREMELY important. 3 times a day is best and especially before you get out of bed or from sitting for an extended period of time. Also, a good therapist is key as my issue was never resolved when I went to see the second therapist so I'm having to work on it on my own.

Good luck!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I cured mine with daily downward facing dogs.....
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Sent you a message, its what worked for me
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I had it bad, did all the stretching, etc. and ended up going to a podiatrist, getting fitted for orthotic inserts for my shoes. Problem solved! I can now run up to 6 miles with no problems.
    Get it under control fast because if you don't, you'll end up with bone spurs and they are even worse!
    Good luck and I hope you're pain free soon!
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ouch...yes it is painful. I have noticed over the years it would happen in stages as my weight went up......but then would do the same as my weight went down. For me it last a couple days on average. I found shoes that supported and soft enough...that helped me a lot. I use Merrills slip on moc. Not great looking but work. Also found that a double bourbon worked in the evenings...good lunck
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I had this a few years ago in both feet and so painful! Stretch, stretch, stretch, use anti-anflammatory to reduce the swelling, as well as wrap your foot in ice. Wear shoes all the time. That was difficult for me because i don't like shoes :laugh: However, I invested in a pair of Crocs for the house and they helped so so much. Also, I would recommend going to a really good shoe store that specializes in athletic shoes (where the employees are trained) and have them watch you walk, describe your exercises, etc so they can help fit you to a proper pair of shoes. They can also take a scan of your foot. Every person's foot is different so one type of shoe that works for one, won't necessarily work for you :smile: Look into a good pair of inserts that will help support your foot.

If it doesn't go away, I would recommend seeing a podiatrist. I saw one and after two cortizone shots, the pain in my left foot was gone. However, my right foot ended up being a work in process and was never able to get it stretched out enough so I ended up having surgery on it. Feels great now and I go barefoot now!

Best of luck to you!
  • siriusciel
    siriusciel Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fascitis for 2 years - it was very painful and discouraging. Supportive shoes (specifically with arch support) is key. I recommend Asics or New Balance sneakers or Danksos. I can honestly say that switching my footwear made a huge difference. Over the counter orthotics and stretches are very helpful. I also had my husband massage my feet often. He would rub his thumb up and down the arch of my foot - it felt so much better after he did that. Tennis ball and frozen water bottle stretches mentioned prior help. Patience! Mine took quite a while to heal but it does get better.
  • Rssblade
    Rssblade Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have recently come to learn of this problem, there is a lot of information on the web and "Youtube" about exercises and splints, as for the remark about new shoes, it is insoles you require with Orthontic support to prevent heel movement when walking/running and arch support, Amazon have all the products you need.
    Good luck, you can track my progress on my whiny blog..
  • Nicks_scotland
    Options
    I had issues with this too, the doctor was useless. Basically said to stop wearing high heels, even though I told her I wear trainers 24/7!

I did some googling and loads of people recommended a shoe insert. Pain was gone in no time and has never come back.

http://www.scholl.com/en-GB/regularorthotics/Page.raction

Nicks x
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    I have not read all the posts so I am sorry if I repeat some here. I have been battling plantar fasciitis for almost a year now. I have done a lot of research on it and been to my doctor (who runs marathons) and physiotherapy.

Pain happens when the tendon gets constricted and doesn't stretch out, usually from not using it. When you wear supportive shoes they can actually weaken your feet. You need to strengthen the little muscles in your arches and your feet somehow. Some people do this by going barefoot and wearing minimalist shoes. Some people will do exercises, I take an elastic exercise band and put the ball of my foot on it, hold it with both hands and point my toe forward on the band. Freezing a water bottle and rolling it under your foot and taking Advil will provide some relief immediately.

Some people get very supportive shoes and just never go barefoot. Some people get cortizone shots. These, in my opinion, are just temporary band aid measures.

Keep doing stretching and strengthening exercises for your feet and if it doesn't get better go see a podiatrist to make sure it is not a more serious problem.

Everyone is different.