Exercises with a broken toe?

Options
So I'm not completely convinced yet, but it's quite possible that I've broken my toe this morning just after training. I've broken a toe before and I'm a nurse so that's not what I'm concerned about figuring out, I'm more just wondering if anyone has some tips for at home exercises that one can do without putting too much weight on your feet? Typically I do a lot of dance and circuit training so I'm a bit at a loss as to ways I can get my heart-rate up and my muscles working without further injuring myself. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Do you do any strength training? Maybe this is a good time to start.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do as a part of my circuit training so I usually alternate between strength exercises and jumping jacks or jump rope. I think I'm just going to have to modify some of them and work on that for the time being but I'd still love some cardio. My life will be sad without it :( Haha.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I broke one of my little toes (in two places, thank you very much {takes a bow},) I still did my workouts (including taking Les Mills Combat and bellydance rehearsals- with two performances while it was broken), but with modification, from my trainer. If you don't have a trainer, check with someone at the gym (if you're in one) about how to modify the the cardio. My trainer had me do modified jumping jacks, I didn't do jump kicks or move across the floor in combat, I stayed in place and did the moves in place. In circut training, I just didn't do jumping on anything, I modified it back to beginners level (the instructor was a great help). If you're on your own no jumping, go back to the very first DVD when they show you how to do the moves (if you're using DVD's) and use the modified form (you know the one person they always have in the DVD's that does the "lower" level for beginners.) Just be very careful.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Squat jacks (No jumping, just stand and squat quickly), fast punches can work as well--just keep feet still), stationary bike, swimming...
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've broken and dislocated a few toes and it hasn't really caused me much bother. I would definitely strap it to the next toe for a few days for workouts and just see how you get on. If it hurts, stop!

In my experience its not even worth going to the hospital unless it looks wonky or really hurts, they don't X-ray them and just strap them up.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh! No pointe work though, THAT hurts with a broken toe...
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    stationary bike? you can get them really cheaply at used sporting good stores.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Tape it to the toe next to it. Carry on as per usual.

(Have played soccer and Aussie Rules football semi-professionally since HS.. have broken all of my toes, several time, at least 1 per season :laugh:)
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've done plenty with a broken toe... just make sure you give it a little extra room in your shoe since it will swell. And wear shoes with good support. You can modify your circuits to accommodate your toe... think of it as a fun challenge! Also spinning is good, elliptical, swimming, etc.

You probably don't want to do much of anything that will repetitively put stress on it, like running. That said, I climbed a mountain with a broken toe, so maybe I'm not the best to give advice. :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Tape it to the toe next to it. Carry on as per usual.

This. Broke my toe in thai boxing. Buddy taped it and went back the next day.
  • LoloR17
    Options
    I've been trying to exercise with torn ankle ligaments. I do pilates (which you could easily do with a broken toe as long as you are careful) as well as yoga, squats and strength training. Also, you can get your heart rate up by doing boxing with your upper body only. Make sure it's supported by taping/wrapping it to the toe next to it and ice it.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Tape it up good and do your workout and then maybe some ice!!! I went through a week long volleyball camp with a broken toe, it'll be just fine!!
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Really awesome tips in here. I don't think it'll hold me back much but always great to have some alternatives if it's giving me grief :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I've done plenty with a broken toe... just make sure you give it a little extra room in your shoe since it will swell. And wear shoes with good support. You can modify your circuits to accommodate your toe... think of it as a fun challenge! Also spinning is good, elliptical, swimming, etc.

You probably don't want to do much of anything that will repetitively put stress on it, like running. That said, I climbed a mountain with a broken toe, so maybe I'm not the best to give advice. :)
    Funny you mention the shoes, I was doing this and was in agony, even doing the training with my trainer, during the first training session after I broke it, she actually had me take my shoes OFF and do my training with her and Combat class barefoot (not easy to do the Combat barefoot because it was a hardwood floor, but I made it through much better without shoes than I would have with shoes)
  • Chris__D
    Chris__D Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll second the stationary bike suggestion. Broke my toe just after Christmas and cycling wasn't too much of a problem with the help of some padding to stop the shoe upper pressing down on the toe.
  • annak4peace
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here -- but after re-breaking my toe TWICE, I've been told to only do NO impact work-outs for 4 weeks. Seems like a really long time, but both times I re-broke it, I was doing low-impact workouts and had no pain...then snap! I don't have access to a gym, pool, or stationary bike.