I'm shocked at all the calories I'm consuming.

Options

Replies

• kaeganc
    kaeganc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One word: VEGETABLES!!!!! High in nutrition Low in calories. =)
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Please check the label again. The serving size is 1 1/4 cup. One cup and 1/4 cup. You can check the food database on MFP as well. :flowerforyou:

^THIS^

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/general-mills-kix-cereal-43117517
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Oh me too!!! Then I discovered white fish and had the same reaction in reverse! On fish days I stuff myself silly and don't go near my calorie goal. Supportive husband now cooking fish 3x a week :)
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You can still enjoy the same things just got to half the portions :-)
    But now you have the knowledge and can put it to use in your life style change.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Calories in 1 cup 2% milk = 120

Calories in 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk = 40
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Right. I think that's the point of tracking foods. Not only can you see how many times a day you're eating, but you realize that the foods that you're eating probably aren't the healthiest. I'm going to a nutritionist, too, just to find out what I can get away with eating because I'm a very picky eater. Good luck.
  • koos22
    koos22 Posts: 22
    Options
    I recently realized there are TWO serving in a packet of ramen. Holy cow, almost 400 calories for something that never totally satisfies me. Sad.
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    I recently realized there are TWO serving in a packet of ramen. Holy cow, almost 400 calories for something that never totally satisfies me. Sad.

Two servings.. wow, I'm with you.

I think this whole obesity thing is the responsibility of the food manufacturers in this country. Suddenly portion sizes grew astronomically and they masked the caloric intake of all that food. Hopefully now, folks will be paying more attention to the serving sizes and will adjust accordingly. Wouldn't it be great if they actually adjusted the serving sizes to what satisfies someone and then listed the correct calories... I think the American Diet would change significantly because we would throw all that processed food away!.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Generally the more processed food tends to be higher in calories.

Still love my peanut butter though.
  • BabyNurseJen
    BabyNurseJen Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I think this whole obesity thing is the responsibility of the food manufacturers in this country. Suddenly portion sizes grew astronomically and they masked the caloric intake of all that food. Hopefully now, folks will be paying more attention to the serving sizes and will adjust accordingly. Wouldn't it be great if they actually adjusted the serving sizes to what satisfies someone and then listed the correct calories... I think the American Diet would change significantly because we would throw all that processed food away!.

Food manufacturers are at fault for manufacturing something according to public demand? Also, serving sizes are dictated by the FDA, not arbitrarily set by Kellogg's etc. No one other than us is to blame for the food we put in our mouths.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Kappy Blue, I took it right off the box.

The serving size they use is 1/4 cup. Well my bowl of cereal is one cup. If it is 120 calories for 1/4 cup/ times that by 4 and you get 480.

Then you add in the calories for the milk. Well that is only 1 cup as well. 1 cup of milk was 120 calories... that was 600.

So maybe I'm a big eater... but one cup = 8 oz. 8 oz of cereal and 8 oz of milk is not a huge meal. Like I said, I was surprised by the Calories.

However many it is, I know that eating Kix for breakfast would lead me to being hungry about 10 minutes later. Quite a lot of this is learning to select food that has a big nutritional kick and satisfies your hunger for a while.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options

As a fellow Paisan, I feel your pain. Don't get discouraged, if you follow along and do some research here, you can retrain yourself. When I started I felt like I didn't know what to eat. Not long thereafter I was seldom hungry even when I went to 1,400 calories. The key for me was to cook healthy stuff in volume for consuming during the week and avoiding prepared foods as much as possible. Salads, vegetables fresh and grilled or roasted, slaws, skinless chicken breasts marinated or coated with seasoning, white fishes, bean dishes, hummus, greek yougurt provide some good options and helped get me there.

Don't forget exercise, in addition to other benefits it provides for more food and more options. Good luck...
  • LosHuevosGirl
    Options
    My PB and J fix-- Almost everyday for breakfast.... 1 ARnold 8 Grain Pocket Thin filled with one tablesoon peanut butter and a hefty teaspoon of regular jelly---- 245 cals. Use sugar free preserves (which I sometimes do) and lower the cals to about 210.....
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely shocked at the calories in blue cheese. I always dip my pizza crust in blue cheese. 2 tablespoons is 190 calories. I cannot imagine how many tablespoons I used for that pizza crust. It sickens me. Needless to say I will be making my own blue cheese from now.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    a bowl of KIX cereal.. a real bowl of 1 cup of cereal with 2% milk is over 600 calories. I guess I'm really going to need help choosing low calorie foods.

Not sure what you're looking at but no way is KIX cereal 600 calories for a cup + milk. Nutrition info on the side box I saw was 88 calories for 1 cup of cereal + whatever calories for milk type.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It's true that once you start tracking, the calories can really add up. However, a bowl of Kix cereal with 2% milk is not 600 calories. One cup of 2% milk is about 120 and 1 cup of Kix is 130 or so calories. How big is the bowl you are using?

Yup...
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel ya. I had crackers crushed up in my soup yesterday cuz I'm sick, just like I used to when I was little. I'm amazed at how high in calories Ritz crackers are. They're baked, it just doesnt seem like it should be THAT high. Sheesh, I've seen cookies lower in calories.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have not had cereal in so long because it is so high in calories. I really miss it. But one serving of any kind of cereal is not going to fill me up. So I had to stop eating it.
  • Momiofour
    Momiofour Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It is really tough to keep track of it all BUT this process really helps me make better choices! Cookies... I can't even go near them! It just seems so not worth eating one cookie because it contains as many calories that I burn in one torturous session of 30DS. This app can really turn you into a food snob!!!
  • deb2799
    Options
    Try Vanilla Almond milk. I don't like it for drinking, but in cereal, it is really good and WAY less calories. My kids use it b/c of milk allergies and even like it!