Whoa ATX-101! No really

Options
Kythera Pharmaceuticals has announced that it has an injection that dissolves fat cells, and it works ! The company, which is made up of lovely people who cut their teeth with the company Allergan, maker of Botox, released the results of a placebo-controlled, phase III trial at a conference in Paris sometime in the last few days.
In the trial, the investigators treated double-chins with the drug, currently know as ATX-101. They said that evaluators saw a better result with the drug, compared to placebo, and that they could measure greater reduction of fat with calipers.
Of course, the thing with these drugs is that once they are approved, for, say, under the chin, they can be used anywhere.
Do these things scare anyone else? On the one hand, i understand that there are persons with type-2 diabetes who might find this a god-send. But, if you can do a liposuction-like fat removal procedure that easily, who is going to need to exercise, or watch their diet, or whatever? And won't we be missing something then?
So, Yippee ! or Yikes ?

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump - I am curious about the responses.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It scares me...what's next? Penis enlargement?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It doesn't scare me. Its a pharmaceutical company going through the rigors of clinical trials abroad and in the US, not a "miracle fix" getting a quick license as a "supplement" or "dietary aid". Pharma is really struggling right now and as a research chemist looking for a future in pharma I am excited to see something coming from a pipeline. That being said, Phase III is still a big hurdle and this drug is far from being on the market. It is also worth noting that many insurance companies won't pay for this any more than they will pay for lipo, so it's not like it is going to eliminate the need for diet and exercise for the whole population.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Okay, so if the fat is no longer in the fat cells, does that mean it goes into circulation and has to be dealt with by the liver and kidneys? If it's a drastically larger amount than one could remove simply by calorie deficit can the body handle it safely? Where does it go? I wouldn't think anyone should try it until they know the mechanism of action and possible side effects.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Okay, so if the fat is no longer in the fat cells, does that mean it goes into circulation and has to be dealt with by the liver and kidneys? If it's a drastically larger amount than one could remove simply by calorie deficit can the body handle it safely? Where does it go? I wouldn't think anyone should try it until they know the mechanism of action and possible side effects.

The company says that the fat released gets bound by proteins and removed in the bile and that macrophages (cells of the immune system) take care of the rest.
    http://www.kytherabiopharma.com/pipeline/ATX-101-mechanism-of-action
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

They do know the mechanism of action. And finding out the side effects is the POINT of clinical trials (which are filled with volunteers). You can't just look at a cell or a mouse and know what something will do in a human!

It looks like it targets fat cells (not fat) by the relatively low protein content in them compared to other tissues. The body is constantly breaking down cells and flushing the waste away, and this shouldn't be any different (shouldn't being key, many drugs go awry in clinical trials because of unsuspected side effects).
  • morticiamom
    Options
    Not different, but possibly in greater quantities than the body handles with 'natural' weight loss. It might be a boon for those with stubborn fat pockets despite weight loss, but wouldn't the fat just come back?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    Not different, but possibly in greater quantities than the body handles with 'natural' weight loss. It might be a boon for those with stubborn fat pockets despite weight loss, but wouldn't the fat just come back?

Guaranteed income generator. People go back for more Botox, right?
  • morticiamom
    Options
    That's the truth. I'm glad I live in a place, and have a job, where eternal youth is not expected.