5-2 Diet - Your opinions

Options

Replies

• Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I did the Alternate Day Diet (which is similar) and lost 2 stone. It is similar but you do 500 cals each alternate day and eat what you like on the other days. I did it during the week but not at weekends and even though I get shaky and feel sick if I don't eat for long periods of time it never happened to me on this diet. I liked the fact that you were only on a strict diet for one day and then if there was someting you really wanted you knew you could have it tomorrow. I did find my energy was good too, I thought at the time it was my thyroid tablets but I have stopped the diet and am still on the tablets but feel way less energetic!

I researched it a lot on the internet and at the time of doing it I couldn't find anything bad about it at all, which is very unusual. Just people saying they didn't like it but not anyone with actual proof it was bad. There was proof that it had health benefits but I think these tests at the time had only been carried out on rats.

I think the only reason I don't do it anymore is that I am very close to goal so don't have the same motivation for the down days.

Good luck if you decide to give it a go :smile:
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    The 5:2 diet stems from the BBC documentary Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer by Dr Michael Moseley.

Here is a link to information about the programme: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc (although, not available on the BBC iPlayer to watch I recently found it on Daily Motion).

Since then he's written a book with references to papers and started a website called http://thefastdiet.co.uk which I suspect has most of the information you are looking for (I saw the programme so haven't explored the site yet).

In a nutshell, he advocates restricting calorie intake to 25% of normal intake for two non-consecutive days a week. This is supposed to have the effect of taking your body out of "growth mode" and into "repair mode".

Hope that helps.
    No. Brad Pilon wrote "Eat, Stop, Eat," which is the concept of 5:2 intermittent fasting back in 2007. This is not a new diet at all, this guy is just trying to claim credit for other people's work, and cash in.

Oh, that is interesting. I'd not head of that. Although, judging by Brad Pilon's blog post (http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/the-52-diet-my-review/), he doesn't appear to feel that someone is ripping him off. He appears to be happy someone else has (hopefully independently) arrived at a similar conclusion on fasting has himself. I'll do some more reading into "Eat, Fast, Eat", thanks.

Michael Moseley does state that the idea has been around for a long time. Even mentioning that major religions advocate fasting, he gives the example of Islam encouraging fasting twice a week. In the documentary he is looking for lifestyle changes to increase longevity, not loose weight. He looks at research into calorie restriction, long periods of fasting, alternate day fasting then settles on 5:2 to try out on himself. All of which have the side effect of losing weight (hence it became a "diet").

I think it would be fare to say it was this programme that re-sparked the idea of fasting with the British public last summer, even if the idea has been around for a while.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Also he personally has a lot of hormone markers for various issues (eg heart disease, diabetes I think) and a lot of his programmes have been investigating health from his perspective (his previous programme looked at exercise, and he ended up trying out HIIT for example).
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    First, this is my experience as an onlooker.

I've had five friends who have done the 5--2 diet. Two stuck with it religiously for two-three weeks. Two dropped it after a week(ish, maybe two) but then restarted it later on. One stopped logging in to MFP and deleted her account entirely.

Pros:
    - Most of them said that the fast days really weren't a challenge for them
    - Many said they felt light, healthy

Cons:
    - One woman had serious issues with exercising the morning after a fast --- ended up being in the fetal position to recover.
    - One woman did really well but would always binge the day after and would get incredibly frustrated.
    - One woman used it and it sparked a round of binge/purge sessions... and then she deleted her account.
    - For the two others, I *assume* that they stopped monitoring their intake after quitting the 5-2 diet because they stopped logging in.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think it has limited value. There are plenty of people here in the thread who have made this a part of their life and they seem to be doing well with it. But their experience noticeably conflicts with my (secondhand) experience of the 5-2 diet. This is just my two cents -- ultimately you are the one who decides what is right for your body.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've just done week 2 and as far as I can see there are no restrictions on when you 'fast' just as long as they are non-consecutive days. I tried Sundays as they are less busy for me, but I found that work days when i am busy, are more manageable. I was very tired yesterday evening after 'fasting' but feel ok this morning! I like the flexibility of this plan.
  • AshS1050
    AshS1050 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Garmad2
    Options
    It's my first day on the 5.2 diet. So far so good:
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I see that also here Moseley is credited for 5:2 but there is a substantial difference between "his" 5:2 "diet" and Pilon's ESE fasting set-up, namely that Moseley has small meals during his "fast" and Pilon's way is to EAT, then STOP eating and then EAT again, no meals in the fasting window.

In my opinion, Moseley's way is not fasting, it's a calorie restriction method. Pilon's way is actually fasting. Intermittent fasting a great way to control kcals, it also has other health benefits and this among other reasons is why I follow this eating pattern.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've decided to give it a go.
    I try to stretch my 500cals intwo about two meals day, which I agree is not 'fasting' but it works better for me. I tried true, no-food-at-all fasting once and felt horrible. So hopefully this one will work better for me.
    Yesterday was my first fast-day and I had a scrambled egg for breakfast, and a bowl of tuna with light mayo for lunch and dinner. (for 'snacks' I couldn't resist a teapsoon of peanut butter, though) all in all it was about 550cals, and I didn't feel hungry at all. I drank 3litres of water, as well.
    I've been trying to find a good list of healthy, protein-loaded foods for these days that make feel full long enough. I've already got a few (eggs, some yummy soups, tuna etc.)

I can't say I felt any different yesterday than on any other day, but it was just the first one. I wasn't really hungry, and I'm not hungry now (at 11am the next day) so I doubt bingeing the day after will be a problem for me.

Thank you all for your posts! I've read some very interesting opinions and good and helpful facts about 5-2, and feel somewhat better prepared to tackle it than a few days before.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I can't say I felt any different yesterday than on any other day, but it was just the first one. I wasn't really hungry, and I'm not hungry now (at 11am the next day) so I doubt bingeing the day after will be a problem for me.

Sounds like a good start! I also allow myself pretty much unlimited vegetables (the near-zero calorie ones such as carrots, lettuce, cucumbers, etc.) It helps to have stuff to munch on. I even occasionally eat a mini-candy bar (50 calories). Not recommended by any nutritionist, I'm sure, but I get a brief sugar high and I like the taste.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Sounds like a good start! I also allow myself pretty much unlimited vegetables (the near-zero calorie ones such as carrots, lettuce, cucumbers, etc.) It helps to have stuff to munch on. I even occasionally eat a mini-candy bar (50 calories). Not recommended by any nutritionist, I'm sure, but I get a brief sugar high and I like the taste.
    Oh, the carrot is definitely a good idea - I like to munch on those anyway!
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i would ask youself if you could live on this diet for one year. When choosing a diet you want one that you can make into a lifestyle change. Im currently doing the DASH diet and doing very well with it....
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's the very livability which makes it attractive.

I went out for dinner last night with my cousin and ordered whatever I like, with no thought to calories, as it was an Up day. Having to only watch calories 2 days a week - and you can switch those days round as need be - makes it much easier to have a social life.

What does the DSAH diet entail?
  • strawfairy
    Options
    I tried this for the first time today

I made a tomato and bean soup for dinner which was 180 calories, plus a couple of ryvitas and room for some fruit too.

I had work from 1-9pm which I think really helps because I could leave around lunchtime without feeling too hungry, be distracted at work all day and then by the time I get home it's too late for me to want any food :D

So day 1 = success! I think my next fast day will be Monday, thanks for all the posts on this
  • strawfairy
    Options
    I forgot, I have a question.

If you exercise on 'down days' do you eat 500 net calories taking into account what you burn off during exercise or just eat 500 calories and that's it?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I just answered that same question somewhere else.

I don't think so. The point is not to give your body what it needs to make new cells. I wouldn't try anything too strenuous on down days, but light exercise is fine.
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi...The DASH diet is built on a ratio of serving sizes of all your healthy stuff...it does really well with controlling your blood sugar level so you will burn more fat and calories easier...There is a fourteen day initiating period which is tough..(im on day 6) but the after that the diet is very doable...and you can adjust it according to where you are and what your doing and still be on schedule. Google it...it is very popular actually!

Im just starting this...but im excited as i have seen a huge change already...espically around the tummy area!
    Good luck with what ever works for you~

Actually, it's the very livability which makes it attractive.

I went out for dinner last night with my cousin and ordered whatever I like, with no thought to calories, as it was an Up day. Having to only watch calories 2 days a week - and you can switch those days round as need be - makes it much easier to have a social life.

What does the DSAH diet entail?
    [/quote]
  • robinmobile
    Options
    My reason for choosing this diet is the fact that you don't have to count calories every day. I am on my 3rd 'fast' day and already feel much better this week than I did last week... Not quite as hungry and wobbly. I am not sure I can do any hardcore exercise yet on fast days but am hoping gradually that that will change. I have soup for lunch and then salad with chicken/ tuna in the evening. And lots and lots of water. I don't usually eat until about 12pm the following day and don't feel hungry as much as you'd think. Not sure about weight loss yet - I think I've lost a bit. I am giving it 6 weeks to see how well it work.s Hubby is doing it too and is much better than me!
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I am a nurse, and people who have colonoscopies do this all the time. They stop eating about 5 pm. Only clear liquids the next day, all night again with no food, test done they get to eat. It is well over 36 hours AND they have a colon cleanse. Talk about being empty.

I did this two weeks ago. I was hungry but not starving. And by the time I could eat I could only eat half of what I normally would and had to make myself eat the rest of the day.

As far as calories, sugar free jello has only 10 calories and has protein. Broth gives you sodium which will keep you from feeling weak. Add some juice to bring your calories up to 500.

It really wasn't hard. And I can see how it would work. No one has died from it that I am aware of. And most pt's say its not that bad.
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second week if doing this though last week I did 4:3 .. My IBS is so much better & also my bowels seem to be working better too as I'd only usually go once a week now its maybe 1-3 times a week... You generally just feel so much better... I don't tend to exercise on a fast day as I have an active job so that's enough exercise on those days... It will work for some & not others... I find so far it's good for me as I'm a snacker!! If I see I have X amount of calories left ill eat crisps or choccy just for the sake of eating them when really I know I don't need them!!... This way of eating doing 5:2' has taught me I don't need to snack just to get the numbers up & I eat when I need to not cos you need 3 meals a day & brekkie is the most important meal of the day... Plus I like to go out & just pick something off the menu instead of panicking about calories cos that's no way to live either!!.. After talking to one of my naturally skinny friends about her eating habits she also fasts to an extent without realising & only eats when she feel she needs to not just because its brekkie or lunch time etc & that's all 5:2 teaches us...