Preacher Curl vs. Seated Curl vs. Standing Dumbell Curl

Options
Do they target different muscles, or do they all basically achieve the same result? I have a preacher curl attachment on my weight bench that I have never used...should I, if I'm already doing the other two? (mainly seated)

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    They make the same muscles work in different ways.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    So it would be beneficial to do all three, but maybe not all in one day?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    there are better uses of your time than doing curls...
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would just tweak that a little bit. Obviously the bicep is two muscles. If you change the seated to incline, I think that would help. I do like preachers because they focus to much on just the bicep.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I use a computer generated workout , that changes each time I use it. The program has me doing all three, on different days throughout the month.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Come now, vanity lifts aren't all bad.

But if you're trying to figure out the precise difference between 18 different types of curls, you're likely doing it wrong.

Try them out, figure out which one feels best, and do that one.

I do standing barbell curls and rolling db tricep extensions for my arms because those feel the best for me. It shouldn't take that much time and it's not going to matter that much between one or the other.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options

Amen
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I like to switch it up occasionally, the same with the rest of my workout really. I quite like preacher curls so I would give them a go if I were you, i'm not a big fan of concentration curls.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    So it would be beneficial to do all three, but maybe not all in one day?

It depends on your goals and your current state.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Preacher curls will build the part of your bicep closest to your elbow. Standing curls require more stability muscle recruitment. Seated curls allow you to focus more on the bicep muscle. All are good.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I like loose curls, they look the best on me.
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    Options
    Dumb-bell curls and Dumb-bell Hammer curls. targets both parts. Boom easy.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

What's wrong with doing curls?
  • taso42
    Options

Nothing. I said there are better uses of [a beginner's] time than doing curls. Not that curls are wrong as such.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I have recently started doing spider curls to, quite like them
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Nothing. I said there are better uses of [a beginner's] time than doing curls. Not that curls are wrong as such.

Why wouldn't a beginner do curls though? I'm honestly curious since it makes zero sense to me.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I assume we are talking about the debate of compound vs isolation lifting. Most people suggest you start with compound, so no curls generally. I have only just started doing curls after about 7 months of compound lifting.
  • taso42
    Options

Why wouldn't a beginner do curls though? I'm honestly curious since it makes zero sense to me.

It's a bang-for-the-buck thing. Curls are a fine add-on if the rest of the training program is sound. As mentioned above, they're a vanity exercise. They don't build much functional strength; they just help build your biceps, which looks nice in a t-shirt or on the beach.

To make a crude analogy, picture building a house from scratch. You can budget in nice things like heated floors and home automation controls; but in order of importance, the foundation, roof, and water drainage are higher up on the list.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    They make a good side dish rather than a staple.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

It's a bang-for-the-buck thing. Curls are a fine add-on if the rest of the training program is sound. As mentioned above, they're a vanity exercise. They don't build much functional strength; they just help build your biceps, which looks nice in a t-shirt or on the beach.

To make a crude analogy, picture building a house from scratch. You can budget in nice things like heated floors and home automation controls; but in order of importance, the foundation, roof, and water drainage are higher up on the list.

Gotcha.

ETA: You forgot walls. Those are important too LOL.