I can't lose weight

Options
Hi,

I've been on MFP for a couple of years and I've found it great at tracking my food and exercise history, but as my subject says I can't lose weight.

The last time I weighted this much I had just had a 2nd baby in 18 months. For the past year and a half I've put on 1.5 stones which I can't shift. Nothing I do is moving it. I was jogging using the c25K app on my phone and successful completed a 10K run. I was training for a marathon so I was running 2 - 3 nights, 5k a night but nothing was happening. I've since given up running and have gone back walking. I walk nearly everyday at least 1.5 miles and more if I can I thought changing exercise would kick start something. I was doing kettle bell but I gave that up too because nothing was happening. I think it was bulking me up. I watch what I eat 5 - 6 days a week but I do let myself have a little treat for myself. I'm a member of curves and I try and get there at least once a week. Us girls at work have even started a weight in club whereby we weight in every week. Tomorrow is the day and i'm dreading getting up on the scales. I'm trying to stay positive and enjoy what I'm doing. I've also contemplated going to the doctor just in case it's a medical problem. Nothing I do is moving it. What should I do? Thank you for reading.

Replies

• tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you never follow anything (exercise-wise) long enough. All these different workout regimens and when you don't see anything happening you give them up - you should not be giving up. How much time are you giving yourself with the exercising before you give up? You have to look at weight loss and getting fit as a life-long journey, not a destination you arrive at. When you do get to your goal weight the real struggle begins "maintenance"... you have to stop giving up on yourself and keep pluggin' away. Good luck - you can do it.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would say get a digital food scale and weigh and track every single item that you eat for at least 1 month, if not 2. If at the end of that time you still have not lost weight on what should have been a reasonable deficit, I would definitely see a Dr. Then, you can take your food log with you so when they try to tell you "you're just eating more than you think" or something along those lines you can state with conviction that you are not because you have weighed and measured everything and kept a record of it. Make sure that every food you eat and every calorie containing beverage that you drink is accounted for. No "cheat" meals or cheat days or anything of the sorts.

In order to decide on a calorie goal, I recommend that you find some way to measure your body fat % and use a BMR/TDEE calculator based on body fat %, not just a standard calculator. This way, if you have a higher or lower than normal body fat %, it will be reflected in your calorie goals. I would say do not set your calorie goal to losing more than 1 lb per week for this experiment. Maybe you haven't been eating enough, maybe you've been eating too much, keeping the most detailed food log possible for a while will help you discover this.
  • roisinbunny
    roisinbunny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I couldn't read this and not reply. Am in exactly the same boat since last Summer. Doing the exercise, tracking calories etc and having the odd treat day ( because life is too short not to I keep saying:)

Went to doctor, got bloods done & I'm hypo thyroid. Even thought I'm on meds, still no joy with stabilising weight so I went to a dietician in Dublin who looked at my food diary I had kept for a month. She said I was eating very well overall with a good balance, but too many carbs - so although I was sticking to the cals, my body type (hypothyroid , PCOS & IBS ) doesn't deal well with carb overload, sugar and certain veg that I was heaping on the plate. And those treat days, she told me, were setting back any good I might have done in 2 weeks previously.

It really might be worth getting a check up - I think everyone should get their full bloods done every 6 months - get the all clear from that side and then maybe try having a chat with a dietician. She might just really give you a motivational boost. Oh & mine highly recommended MFP!

Don't beat yourself up over it - you're fit, are mindful of what you eat & you did a 10k and that's a massive achievement :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I have to agree - keep very strict records of your food and exercise, and if it all looks good for weight loss but weight loss is not happening, it will be time to see a doctor. I am going to take this advice myself. I've had a few non-logging partial days, and maybe I'm eating or drinking a lot more than I think on those days. It's time to get some consistent hard data to work with.

I hope you find the answers (and me, too).
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated. Here's a few things to consider:

- What are your weight goals? Are they reasonable? Are you close or at your goal?
    - How is your metabolism? Have you ruled out other health problems?
    - Are you eating and logging accurately?
    - Are you stuck in an activity rut? If you're doing the same routine, sometimes your body acclimates and it's almost as if you're not doing anything at all
    - Other than a number on the scale, how do you FEEL? Perhaps you're at your target weight and now just need to focus on toning and maintaining.

Definitely check it out medically, re-evaluate your goals, and keep making great choices. My best to you.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can see what you're eating. Losing weight is about 80% diet and 20% working out.
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Whenever my kids say they can't do something, I correct them and make them say, "I can't do _________yet." :) You will lose weight! Are you possibly not eating enough to fuel your workouts?

I really have no advice, and since I can see your food diary I have no idea what you are eating. Do you eat way more carbs than protein? I know that if I don't eat enoughg protein I just feel crummy and actually crave more carbs. Also, it might be time to talk to your doctor to check your hormones and thyroid. I'm sure more people will weigh in with better advice.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've gone to the doctor too (13 viles of blood later) there is nothing wrong with me. I had to accept the fact that I am inconsistent with my work outs (it doesn't matter WHAT you're doing, as long as you're exercising a couple of times a week). I'm also a carbaholic. I've cut my carbs, now I'm working on my exercise. I want to lift heavy 2 times a week, and pure cardio (walking a minimum of 60 minutes) at least 3 days a week. That's the only thing that seems to work for MY body.
  • andreag87
    andreag87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Roisinbunny - What amount of carbs per day did the dietician recommend for you?
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can see what you're eating. Losing weight is about 80% diet and 20% working out.

This. It takes very few "treats" to completely undo the calorie burn from workouts. It sounds like you might be expecting too much from exercise and not restricting your calories enough. People's metabolisms vary, but no one is immune to the calories in/calories out rule.
  • kelty412
    kelty412 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I'm with you but the Dr. says there isn't anything wrong. I met with a nutrtionist who looked at my journal and made me realize that even staying within the goal isn't enough. Are you eating too much carbs? Drinking your calories (one of my problems, i love my wine). Eating unhealthy and processed foods?

How do your clothes feel? I had a great week and lost nothing this week but my pants feel good. I'm using htat to feel good. Hang in there!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm going to quote something to you in case it rings any bells: you cannot out-train a bad diet. You may not think this applies to you, it might possibly not. It's hard to say with no food diary to see....but unless you have a medical problem the simple fact maybe that you are eating above your maintainance calories. You can do lots of cardio and see very little change in your weight/figure if your still over eating. I know because I did it for years. I only starting losing when I started logging everything and was finally honest about everything, and I mean everything that was going in my mouth. I had to cut a lot out that I didn't want to, wine, chocolate, chips because I was overweight and a little piggy. I have them now as treats but it's all accounted for in my cals. Maybe try being brutally honest about everything you eat/drink for a month or two, eat at a reasonable deficit, if still no movement (measurement wise too, not just scales) then perhaps seek medical help.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes you can
  • jesz124
    Options
    Yes you can

Care to elaborate on that then? I suppose you are the unique special snowflake exception to the rule? You eat ****, you look like ****. Not rocket science.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Yes you can

Care to elaborate on that then? I suppose you are the unique special snowflake exception to the rule? You eat ****, you look like ****. Not rocket science.

I read this as him responding to the OP. I've noticed many people don't often read past the first post.
  • jesz124
    Options
    Yes you can

I read this as him responding to the OP. I've noticed many people don't often read past the first post.

He should learn to use the quote button then hahaha
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    I used to think I couldn't lose weight, but weighing food makes a huge difference to me, when I cut a piece of cheese I suddenly realised as I weighed it I was eating far more calories than I imagined I was.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    without an open diary it is hard to tell but it sounds like you are working out quite a bit. contrary to what the others are saying, from my experience the biggest problem is not over eating or underestimating calories but people who do not eat enough and damage their metabolism. Nobody is a little snowflake, a body is a machine and it works a certain way.

Read this and if it does not work , well nothing it will work, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    weight loss is 80% food intake and only 20 % exercise - I know I am eating too much and funnily enough I am not losing weight -you have eat less calories.
    Jan
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters that the problem is most likely that you are not creating a persistent caloric deficit. Your entire post is about exercise, with only 1 passing comment about diet...if you are having trouble losing weight I suspect the answer lies there. Start tracking your food religiously. This means weighing and measuring and counting everything! Give it a good 4 weeks of consistent effort, and yes, you can lose weight.