Gained 5lbs over the weekend! HELP!

Options
124»

Replies

• SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There's science behind it..when your cells are depleted from restricting your intake, and you eat a ton of stuff, they suck it all in and bulk up (particularly if it's a lot of carbs). LIke someone else said...if you get back to it right away, it'll be gone in no time.
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I gained two and wasn't even out of my calorie range! Just eating at different times on weekends does it. Every weekend, just about.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Drink gobs of water and don't weigh in until next Monday (I assume that's your weigh in day).

Yeah. Probably not the best day following the weekend!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Some water, sodium, the food you still have in "your system.," etc... nothing to worry about.

Yup^^^^ I can easily fluctuate 2, 3, 5 Lbs over the course of a day. Weight loss isn't linear, nor does anyone weigh xxx Lbs all of the time...there are normal body weight fluctuations. If they bother you, weigh yourself once per week...otherwise look at the data as an overall trend.

I'm usually the heaviest on Monday morning due to I don't eat as nutritiously as I should over the weekend...tend to have more sodium than usual, more beer, etc. I can always tell on Monday morning that I'm more bloated than any other day. My lightest days tend to be on Thursdays and Fridays, but it all goes up and down a few pounds from day to day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of what weight loss typically looks like for me...this is from last week:

Fiday Jan 25th: 187.9 (official weigh in logged)
    Sat: 189.2
    Sun: 188
    Monday: 193.1
    Tues: 191.4
    Wed: 191.1
    Thurs: 187
    Friday 187.4 (official weigh in logged)

I only lost .5 Lbs this particular week, but I lost 1.5 the previous...this is what I mean, it's not linear.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You didn't lose 4 lbs over the course of one week. Not in fat anyway. And you didn't gain 5 lbs over the course of a weekend. Stop panicking and learn more about how this process works, particularly in relation to how water weight fluctuates based on seemingly random factors.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of what weight loss typically looks like for me...this is from last week:

I only lost .5 Lbs this particular week, but I lost 1.5 the previous...this is what I mean, it's not linear.

This is so interesting!! I have never weighed myself daily like this. It is so hard for my scientific mind to accept this!!!! where does the weight go? Between Sunday and Monday you gained 5 pounds of something. I am so never weighing myself in the middle of the week ever again:noway:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This is so interesting!! I have never weighed myself daily like this. It is so hard for my scientific mind to accept this!!!! where does the weight go? Between Sunday and Monday you gained 5 pounds of something. I am so never weighing myself in the middle of the week ever again:noway:
    It's very easy to explain. Everything you ingest and eliminate has weight. Drink a pint of water, you just gained a pound. Go to the bathroom, and now you've just lost 2 pounds. Eat an 8 oz steak, and you gained a half pound, etc...

It takes days for food to move through your digestive system. That plus water and electrolyte regulation explains why weight can fluctuate up or down by several pounds in any 24 hour period.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I just got home last night from a weekend away. I weighed myself this morning completely expecting the scale number to be up, but I weighed myself anyway because I wanted to assess the damage. 4 pounds up. I am going to guess that one of those pounds is real and the other three are water retention. My next weigh in will be on Friday and I hope to drop 3 of those 4 pounds by then, if not all 4. This is life. I had a dinner outing, a brunch, a super bowl party, two flights, etc... I ate like crap, but I could have been way worse. I actually brought a gallon of water with me to the super bowl party so I could drink twice or three times as much water as wine (yes, drank wine as opposed to beer).

Chin up. Weight fluctuates. Give yourself a few days and you will feel better. Even though I also had a bad weekend, I know these really bad weekends happen about four times a year for me. The difference between success and failure is being able to get right back on track and not beat yourself up for doing this once in awhile. In my past if I had a bad weekend then I would just give up. Hence the reason I am on here! No more giving up or beating myself up.