Computer geeks please come here!

Options
2»

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Definitely the mouse tracking pad, I do this all the time, too easy to have your hand over the pad. You should be able to put in a wireless/wired mouse and turn off the tracking pad when doing so as a part of the computer settings. Without being at home with my laptop in hand I cannot direct you to the correct place to change these settings but you should be able to google and specify your computer model to get more accurate and helpful results.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hey. I can't believe nobody has said this yet but it seems like you might be hitting the touch pad when you are typing.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I work in I.T. for a school district. A common issue, especially since its a new laptop (not use to typing on it) is that your palm is most likely touching the mouse pad when your typing without you realizing it, thus the letters jumping across the screen. Hope this helps.

Yeah, possibly this. It happens to me all the time. If I don't pay attention and keep my palms up, it will put the insertion point in different places.

If you're going to be typing a lot, you can try hitting the Function key that turns the touchpad off before typing.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Oh hey, reading comprehension fail on my part. I jumped over the "laptop" part.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I'd help, but I'm wearing this shirt today.....

will-not-fix.jpg
  • hamstermann
    hamstermann Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    got a prankster nearby? Could be something like this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ae83/?srp=10 if you have someone that would do that to you.
    Edited to note: The link goes to a product that someone can buy that tells your computer to make random keystrokes. the link itself does nothing to your computer.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    "My 'puter"

Doctor should be able to clear that up.

OMG I am cracking up right now!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    I'd help, but I'm wearing this shirt today.....

will-not-fix.jpg

LOVE IT!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Definitely the mouse tracking pad, I do this all the time, too easy to have your hand over the pad. You should be able to put in a wireless/wired mouse and turn off the tracking pad when doing so as a part of the computer settings. Without being at home with my laptop in hand I cannot direct you to the correct place to change these settings but you should be able to google and specify your computer model to get more accurate and helpful results.

Thanks! I will do this!
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Did you try turning it off and on again? (IT Crowd)
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    "My 'puter"

Doctor should be able to clear that up.

lololol
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You can change the sensitivity of the touchpad in the mouse properties under Control Panel. This may help you.
  • ktzmom
    ktzmom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time. I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the mousepad on the keyboard. I believe it happens because your hand is touching the mouse pad. if you figure out how to turn it off please share. :ohwell:
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    This happens to me all the time. I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the mousepad on the keyboard. I believe it happens because your hand is touching the mouse pad. if you figure out how to turn it off please share. :ohwell:

Will do. I have windows 8 which is awful!
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had that problem too. With the above advise, I found my touchpad control under control panel > hardware setting > mouse > device settings. I changed the sensitivity using my computer's instructions (it's a Lenovo) and so far it looks like it really helps. Thanks, everyone, that jumping cursor is really frustrating sometimes.
  • User819
    User819 Posts: 271
    Options
    Dudette, you didn't get a Dell? ???