Girls who lift!

Options
Hello, friends! I have been gone for too long from here but I am back into it with only a 2 pound weights gain during my break. (Thank goodness) So I am starting up again but this time adding more lifting.

I would love to get some friends who lift, especially girls. :) Boys who lift are good too though!

Friday was squats, step ups, seated rows, push ups, some crazy crunch things on a ball, and running.

Today was dead lifts, pull downs (?), some free weights, push ups, back extensions, lunges, crunches, running.

Me and the girl I work out with plan on doing those two routines in rotation and then there is another level that you move up to once that is comfortable. She got these out of a book and I love it. I feel a total body work out in a really short period of time.

The point of this post is ADD MEE! :)

p.s. I hate squats. My legs still hurt from Friday.

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Sounds like New Rules of Lifting for Women. A lot of ladies on here follow this, myself included.
  • svanhoecke
    Options
    It is. :)
  • Annetinkerbell
    Annetinkerbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started new rules of lifting for women and am finding it too easy. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I don't feel satisfied leaving the gym if I'm not all 'puffed out'. I used to do more cardio at the gym but mostly high intensity and then some weights, admittedly not as heavy as I'm currently lifting. There are big rests between sets that I feel are a bit boring and you are only meant to do two sets of the exercises which feels a bit easy, especially the non-weighted ones like the weird ball thing - think its known as the jackknife. I went from doing 60 squats, presups, tricep dips, lunges, and plank about 4 times a week and am struggling to lay off from this and rest like the book tells you to. I am excited to change my body to have more muscle and reduce the fat and the book has some really interesting points like woman's body's ae more likely to be more muscular on the front in comparison to the back, causing problems such as neck ache when doing too many sit-ups. I totally get a sore neck when I do sit-ups and I just thought it was bad form!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    I just started new rules of lifting for women and am finding it too easy. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I don't feel satisfied leaving the gym if I'm not all 'puffed out'. I used to do more cardio at the gym but mostly high intensity and then some weights, admittedly not as heavy as I'm currently lifting. There are big rests between sets that I feel are a bit boring and you are only meant to do two sets of the exercises which feels a bit easy, especially the non-weighted ones like the weird ball thing - think its known as the jackknife. I went from doing 60 squats, presups, tricep dips, lunges, and plank about 4 times a week and am struggling to lay off from this and rest like the book tells you to. I am excited to change my body to have more muscle and reduce the fat and the book has some really interesting points like woman's body's ae more likely to be more muscular on the front in comparison to the back, causing problems such as neck ache when doing too many sit-ups. I totally get a sore neck when I do sit-ups and I just thought it was bad form!

If it's too easy and you don't need all the rest time, you aren't lifting enough with the NR plan. The point is to be reaching muscle fatigue. Up your weights!
  • j4m8
    j4m8 Posts: 32
    Options
    I know nothing about weights. I need a gym buddy!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm doing new rules as well. and i agree with mavd. You should be damn tired. and once squats get easier, hold onto weights. You should never walk away from lunges or squats without your legs feelings like jello
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am doing Jillian Michaels dvds at the moment (not proper lifting I know) I am weening myself onto weights slowly lol
    This new rules for girls for lifting is it a book/ where can I buy it ?

I would like to do a weights programme in a few months time but have no idea where to start :S

Thank you
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I need to find my copy...
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    hello :)
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 4th week of NR and everything started out fairly easy, but I've upped my weights almost every workout, and am now really pushing to finish my sets. By the end, I'm exhausted and I almost always have some soreness going on (today it's in my arms and glutes). Add me if you'd like!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    After I loose some more body fat I plan to start lifting.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I lift, just posted my workout plan on my page. Feel free to have a looksy =)
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I am going into week 3 of NR....and upped my weights on Friday, and man what a difference!
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I want to start off saying that I don't want to pick on you, but more or less use your statement as an example.

A lot of women think they need to be thinner to start lifting, but the reality is that adding muscle mass will boost your metabolism, which will help you burn more at rest. So get a a head start on lifting! Remember that muscle takes up less space than fat...and if adding that to you helps you burn more when you're not doing anything, then take advantage! You might feel like it makes you bigger at first, but after about 4-6 weeks, you'll start to notice the inches falling off. I promise that lifting will help you tremendously in your success in weight loss. :smile:
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't do NROLFW, only because I have and am a personal trainer.

But I lift! I lift heavy!!! I LOVE IT!

Fell free to add me! :D
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

I want to start off saying that I don't want to pick on you, but more or less use your statement as an example.

A lot of women think they need to be thinner to start lifting, but the reality is that adding muscle mass will boost your metabolism, which will help you burn more at rest. So get a a head start on lifting! Remember that muscle takes up less space than fat...and if adding that to you helps you burn more when you're not doing anything, then take advantage! You might feel like it makes you bigger at first, but after about 4-6 weeks, you'll start to notice the inches falling off. I promise that lifting will help you tremendously in your success in weight loss. :smile:
    Thanks! OK I plan to start after I finish this damn 30DS... and when I get some weights.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

Yes! All this, plus, you will retain more muscle as you lose weight if you lift. And it is waaaaaaay easier to keep muscle as you lose than try to gain it after you've lost it! Wish I'd started sooner!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I lift and love it. Did NR4W and now I'm doing the NR4M (stole my husband's book). I also did stronglifts for awhile but found I prefer the New Rules, just feel like I get more of a workout from it. I love how lifting has transformed my body. LOVE IT!! :drinker:

Feel free to add me if you like. :D
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just started Body Pump, I love it, can't wait to start seeing results
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer and he started me on a sort of Strong Lifts routine... though I have yet to learn how to deadlift properly. It's been working really well for me for about the past year. That and I kinda do a bunch of random crap at the gym as well... I hate cardio, so the more I can lift, the better (in my mind at least!)