Answer a few ?s for my research on single mothers please :)

Options
Hi, I am doing a research project/presentation for sociology on single parent mothers. I'm giving the presentation tomorrow, but I thought I'd get in a few last minute details. (I've lost most of my work thanks to technical difficulties with my MS Office. I'm frantically trying to redo it from memory, so your answers will help replace some of the statistics and other stuff I've lost in this stupid machine)

My portion of the research is stricly for single, white, straight mothers, but I will incorpotate all answers into the end of the presentation for fun. (Any ethnicity or gender or sexual orientation) I want real people answers because statistics do not really show the reality of single parenting. I want this to get personal. Be as honest as you are comfortable being. If you would prefer to answer privately, just PM your answers to me. I will respect your privacy. If you don't want to answer all questions, thats fine too. Thanks!

Questions:

1. How old were you when you had your child(ren)? Were you single from the start? How many do you have?

2. What is your ethnicity, gender, religion and do you think these things play a role in your success/failure as a parent?

3. What is the hardest obstacle you have had to face?

4. Have you ever had to apply for government assistance of any kind? (Welfare, foodstamps, medicaid, childcare assistance, etc.)

5. What was your experience if you said yes to #4? Did it help you, hurt you, teach you, embarrass you?

6. How do you manage financially? (Job, child support, family, assistance)

7. What does your budget look like? (No need to give financial info in detail, I just want to know how you assess what comes first and what gets left out.)

8. Where do your child(ren) get the role of a father/mother figure? (Relatives, boy/girlfriend, clergy, Big Brothers/sisters type mentoring organizations?)

9. If you could do it all over again, would you? What would you change besides not doing it alone or being older?

10. What advise would you give to a single pregnant woman who has no support but is choosing to take the challenge?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• leanmeanrunningmachine
    Options
    1. How old were you when you had your child(ren)? Were you single from the start? How many do you have? I was married but seperated and going threw a divorce with her father I was 26 when she was born. She is now 3 years old.

2. What is your ethnicity, gender, religion and do you think these things play a role in your success/failure as a parent? White, Femail, Christian. No

3. What is the hardest obstacle you have had to face? Dealing with her father and his family not wanting to be in her life at all

4. Have you ever had to apply for government assistance of any kind? (Welfare, foodstamps, medicaid, childcare assistance, etc.) I wanted to but couldn't I made just a little bit more than you are allowed to make. And I get no support from him.

5. What was your experience if you said yes to #4? Did it help you, hurt you, teach you, embarrass you?

6. How do you manage financially? (Job, child support, family, assistance) I am doing ok I am blessed to have such a great job. There was a time where my parents had to help me make the daycare payments because I had no other options but now I am able to pay the bills on my own.

7. What does your budget look like? (No need to give financial info in detail, I just want to know how you assess what comes first and what gets left out.) Every penny gets spent. I have no savings but I'm making it.

8. Where do your child(ren) get the role of a father/mother figure? (Relatives, boy/girlfriend, clergy, Big Brothers/sisters type mentoring organizations?) My dad has been her father figure. I have my first boyfriend now and it is getting serious and he has been great with her.

9. If you could do it all over again, would you? What would you change besides not doing it alone or being older? I would I'm glad I was at a spot in my life that I could handle being a single mom. She is worth every min of it anyways :)

10. What advise would you give to a single pregnant woman who has no support but is choosing to take the challenge? The only challenge is parenthood and that is single or not. Being the only parent has its perks for sure. I don't have to share, I was there for every little step and word. We have a great bond now that is very important to the both of us.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    1. How old were you when you had your child(ren)? Were you single from the start? How many do you have?
    I was 24 at her birth, married to her father for 3 1/2 years. Only 1.

2. What is your ethnicity, gender, religion and do you think these things play a role in your success/failure as a parent?
    Eth: Caucasian... white... multi-ethnic American "mutt"... part Catawban Indian
    Religion: Christian

I think my religion encourages me to be a good person and raise a good child. I don't think it plays a large part into my parenting, however

Being her everything while still balancing out "me" as a person. Sometimes I have to remember I'm still a single woman, a person, a best friend, a vivacious person.... not simply "Mommy".

4. Have you ever had to apply for government assistance of any kind? (Welfare, foodstamps, medicaid, childcare assistance, etc.)
    No. I am too prideful, even though I'm constantly counting pennies and never sure how I'll make it from one paycheck to the next. However, I make "too much" to qualify (more than likely), even though it all goes to housing, utilities, daycare, work expenses, student loan debt, car payment (on an old one at that). I blame it on my independent nature and constant goal to make it on my own.

n/a

I work M-F 8-5pm. I'd like to go to law school but there is no money to do so. I don't receive child support currently. If I ever do, I imagine it will go into a college fund for my daughter. My parents are close by and able to help out occasionally when I need them to pick up my daughter from school because I have a therapy appointment and *might* be late picking her up from daycare. I manage.

7. What does your budget look like? (No need to give financial info in detail, I just want to know how you assess what comes first and what gets left out.)
    All my bills get paid. Period. I bargain shop and look for deals. I'm getting ready to cut my cable because my introductory rate is almost over. In order of importance:
    1. Rent- must have a roof over our heads.
    2. Car insurance- gotta drive to work
    3. Car payment- gotta keep my car
    4. Daycare- Kiddo has to go to a good school. Period. She is my priority. I don't over pay, thankfully.
    5. Utilities- need the lights.
    6. Credit cards- almost paid off after years and years of working that debt down. These would be what I'd let slip, if I couldn't pay it all.
    7. Student loan- deferred this year. No money. Legal fees wiped me out, twice. Not sure how I will pay them when they come due again.

8. Where do your child(ren) get the role of a father/mother figure? (Relatives, boy/girlfriend, clergy, Big Brothers/sisters type mentoring organizations?)
    Mother= me.
    Father= I think she picks up a LOT of fathering from my father.

9. If you could do it all over again, would you? What would you change besides not doing it alone or being older?
    Nothing. Life teaches us lessons and makes us who we are. I'd change nothing or I wouldn't be me and my daughter wouldn't be her. I love her, I love me, I love us. We are happy. Money never means happiness. Love is happiness. Communication is happiness. We have all we need in our tiny apartment, with deadbolts and chain locks, tucked away in our secondhand furnishings, with full bellies every night, lots of love and hugs and laughter.

10. What advise would you give to a single pregnant woman who has no support but is choosing to take the challenge?
    Rely on yourself. You are stronger than you can begin to imagine. Be strong; you have a darling child that depends on you. Love and cherish that child. Be content with what you have. When you envy the easy lives and material objects others have, shift your focus to the earthquake victims in Haiti (before AND after the earthquake) or in Africa or China. Wise advice my uncle once gave my mother that sticks with me always: "There is always someone prettier than you, but there is always someone who wishes they could be as pretty as you. There is always someone better at your talent than you, but there is always someone who wishes they were as talented as you. There is always someone richer with more things, but there is always someone else less fortunate than you." Also remember that God gave YOU that specific baby to raise, and He gave YOU that baby for a reason. A child is a gift... a very difficult, long lasting, sometimes exasperating gift! But the smiles and hugs and kisses make it all worth while.
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    1. I was still 19 when I had my son, I turned 20 two months after he was born...so I guess that makes me a statistic of teen moms...LOL

I was married when I got pregnant and when I gave birth, my ex-husband and I seperated 6 wks after my son was born.

I don't have any other children.

2. I am White, Female, Christian.

3. The hardest thing so far is having to miss so much work for sickness, Dr appt, etc...I do have a lot of help from my parents..or I probably wouldn't have ajob. When we first seperated I had to move back in with my parents and couldn't afford to get my own place until my son was about 4 1/2 yrs old. I also have to admit that it is difficult not getting my child support on a regular basis. I have just stopped counting it as income, so if it does come in, it's just "extra" $$.

4. I currently have a Medicaid replacement for my son through the state I live in. I can't afford to have him on my ins...it's way to expensive. I also have assistance with afterschool/summer care assistance. I haven't applied for anything else, even though I am probably eligible for it. I want to be able to do this on my own...I have to much pride I guess... LOL

5. Without the above, I wouldn't be able to have my own place...

6. All of the mentioned! I work full time, have help from my family A LOT, I get child support whenever my ex-husband can keep a job (which isn't often)

7. I don't really struggle with my bills, except in the winter. I have oil heat and it is so expensive...this past winter I spent over $1500 on oil alone...

8. My parents are a big part of my son's life. I also have a boyfriend which comes over on the weekends.

9. I love my son dearly, however, if I could do it again and know what I know now...I probably wouldn't...I would go to college and make something of myself first...however, if I did that...I wouldn't have my wonderful child! It's really hard to say if I would do things differently, sometimes I think I would, other's not so much!

10. Do it! You may struggle but in my opinion it is worth it!

• HipsLipsMama
    Options
    -I was 22 when I had her - her father was my boyfriend at the time - she is my only child.

-caucasian, female, christian - i believe being a Christian helps me to be more successful as a parent

- finances and just the struggle of being alone - being the only one responsible for her

- yes she is on the healthy families program.

- it has been a good experience. i appreciate being able to get her medical insurance.

- i have a full time job.

- priorities are necessities: food, clothes, bills, her preschool, then anything else that is not necessary

-her father is involved in her life somewhat.

- i ABSOLUTELY would! she is the light and joy of my life. i wouldnt change a thing.

- you can do this. there are resources out there to help you. lean on your friends and family ; dont be too proud to ask for help. every child is a GIFT - always remember that and treat them with the utmost love and adoration!!!
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options

I have a 12 yr old boy. I was 20 when I had him. His father and I were dating but split up when he was maybe 6 months

I am White, Female, Christian

What isn't hard as any single parent or a 2-parent home

having to call of work because of sick kids when you dont have days to take off., money, .........preteen and teen attitude

Had WIC when I first had him

I am doing decent now but I still really watch it. I tell me son the same. Just cuz he wants to have it or do it doesn't mean he gets to.

I do get child support but his dad does not do anything above that. So really everything is on me. We get by.

Bills get paid first. the only debt I have is my student loan. So rent and utilities get paid plus the student loan. everything else we save for. I do not use credit cards.

My son goes to his dads every other weekend so he does see his dad. BUt family and friends are always there for him.

sure would. His dad not being a butt head, but hey we are who we are today partly from what we have dealt with in life.

Keep strong. believe in yourself. stick to what you say. don't be wishy washy.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options

~20 yrs old when I had my girl. I was married to start with. I only have one.

~I am white, female, was raised LDS(mormon) but do not practice the faith.. Mormons put strong emphasis on family though, and I do practice that. I believe in the human race and our mother earth.

~The hardest thing is meeting someone.. It seems people are open to children, but when it really comes down to it, children aren't for everyone..

~ Yes. I get food stamps and I am also living in low-income housing..

~It has helped tremendously, especially the low-income housing. I will admit that it is embarrassing for me too. I love my home and I have made it a safe place for me and my daughter, but being in low-income means you have to deal with all the crack-head mothers that are doing nothing with their lives but getting in fights with their baby daddies and having more babies with people they barely know. It drives me insane, but like I said, I don't bring that into my home.. I just have to hear it around my house.. It's embarrassing. Our apartments are called the "Baby Momma Drama".. Yeah.. That's where I live.. The Baby Momma Drama... lol

~ My ex-hubby has never paid me child support. I take that back. He got a job and paid me child support for 2 months and then decided that he didn't want to do that anymore and quit.. Now he lives off of his 19 year old girlfriend and refuses to get a job because he doesn't want to pay for his child. Yes. There is court ordered child support, but he has only paid for 2 months in the last 4 years. I am a caregiver and care for the elderly. I love my job. I am also going to school for CNA and hopefully my LPN next year!

~I keep a good budget now. I have a simple life though. No cable and I try to ride my bike when it's nice outside to cut back on my gass costs. I also put a clothes line up in my back "yard" and hang my clothes out to dry to cut back on laundry costs. I find ways to cut back on the amount I am putting out.

~I still let my daughter see her dad every other weekend. I'm not one of those people that try to use kids to get back at people. I'm also not the type to hold a grudge. I hope he doesn't use him as a male "role model", as he is living off of his girlfriend and I don't want her to get the impression that that's ok for men to be like that, but he is her dad.. And I don't like it, but I cannot change it and I will let her make her own opinions as she starts to grow..

~I would have waited. I got pregnant with my daughter at a Rainbow Gathering. I totally WASN"T ready~ But it has been a pleasure doing this with her. And I am blessed to have her in my life. I don't regret her..

~Start applying for assistance and write out a Personal Mission Statement of her Goals & Roles. I would definitely recommend that she start taking birth control after having the baby.. Honestly I just think it's insane that peeps aren't taking advantage of all the free birth control out there.. C'mon people! I will give you a ride to planned Parenthood and get you set up with the pill, IUD, Marina.. Whatever! These kids are having babies and it's insane!
  • mellers1313
    mellers1313 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    1. How old were you when you had your child(ren)? Were you single from the start? How many do you have? I was 24 with my first, and 28 with my 2nd. I wasn;t single until my youngest was 6 mths old

2. What is your ethnicity, gender, religion and do you think these things play a role in your success/failure as a parent?White caucasion and CAtholic.

3. What is the hardest obstacle you have had to face? The money worries constantly, up until my youngest was diagnosed with special needs we struggled EVERY day, it was living hand to mouth basically.

4. Have you ever had to apply for government assistance of any kind? (Welfare, foodstamps, medicaid, childcare assistance, etc.) I get one parent family payment,Carers allowance(for my youngest) & Domecillary allowance for him. I've a medical card for the three of us

5. What was your experience if you said yes to #4? Did it help you, hurt you, teach you, embarrass you? It was hard aadmitting I needed financial help, but now I think as I'm entitled to it it's not so embarrassing.

6. How do you manage financially?(Job, child support, family, assistance) Child support and the benefits I explained in #4 , My ex pays the mortgage on this house (we bought it together) instead of maintenance.

7. What does your budget look like? (No need to give financial info in detail, I just want to know how you assess what comes first and what gets left out.) I do out a budget every week,Shopping first then bills, and if there's any over it gets put by.

8. Where do your child(ren) get the role of a father/mother figure? (Relatives, boy/girlfriend, clergy, Big Brothers/sisters type mentoring organizations?) They see their dad regularly, I got a good family support network around me.

9. If you could do it all over again, would you? What would you change besides not doing it alone or being older? I'd not change anything, yes it's hard, but it's thought me alot about myself. How strong I am, how capable I've become and my boys are happy.

10. What advise would you give to a single pregnant woman who has no support but is choosing to take the challenge? If I can do it anyone can, you realise your strengths when you have to, it'll be challenging, but soooo rewarding too. No one said parenting would be easy.
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    "My ex-hubby has never paid me child support. I take that back. He got a job and paid me child support for 2 months and then decided that he didn't want to do that anymore and quit.. Now he lives off of his 19 year old girlfriend and refuses to get a job because he doesn't want to pay for his child. "

This sounds so familiar!!!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I'm married now, but was a single mom for years, until my son was 11.

-- I was 21 when I got pregnant, 22 when I had him. I was single (dropped like a hot potato when I told him I was preggers). I have given birth twice, raised one, gave one up for adoption. (I was 25 when I gave up the one baby for adoption-- I had gotten engaged when we found out, but then I dumped him. So single at birth).

--I'm a caucasian female, Catholic. I was a lapsed Catholic until I met my husband, so I don't think it played any role.

--The talking behind my back at work. Through both pregnancies. Horrible horrible stuff. I came close to suicide during my first pregnancy.

--I had daycare assistance for about 3 years. Then, I got a 50 cent per hour raise at work. That extra 20 bucks a week put me over the limit for assistance. I went from paying 20 dollars a week to having to pay over 100. I would rather have not gotten the raise....

--I guess I sort of answered this on the last one. It helped me while I had it. I was only bringing home about 150 to 170 a week.

--I had a full time job. I also received some child support. I also donated plasma for cash.

--Rent came first. It included utilities. For a while we didn't have cable. Food of course! But we didn't eat fast food often. After a few years, I was doing better, and the plasma donation money would get saved up to buy Christmas gifts and I would also use it for a long off season weekend vacation for us at Wisconsin Dells.

--His dad is very hands off. I guess maybe it was from his poppa (Not really related, but a friend's family let me move in when I was pregnant, and I started calling them mom & dad).

--Oh hell no, I wouldn't do it again! It's obviously gotten easier as he's gotten older. And it's all good now that I'm married. It's easy to think yes I would, but if I really think back to how hard it was... I don't think so.

--I'm not sure I have any advice. You find that when it comes down to it, you do what you have to do to survive.
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    I was 22 and 25 when I had my 2 kids. I was with their father for a year prior but never married.

White, female, no religion, I think they do not play a role on success as a parent.

Providing what I would like to give them but without a 2 family income, it isn't possible

I have used medical insurance through the state for my children and foodstamps.

It was very embarrassing and hated anyone knowing, so I didn't share with anyone.

job and new family

budget is bills first, then extras go for clothes, shoes, etc

Kids have a new "stepdad" figure. We moved in with him and his kids and he is excellent role model

Would have left their father earlier, it would have been easier on my kids

find a father role model
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Questions:

I was 18 when I got pregnant, 19 when I had her. I was married. I left her father when I was 21 (I'm about to turn 24 in June.) I just have one.

Caucasin, female, and I lean towards the agnostic side. No, I don't feel any of these traits play a roll in any successes or failure's I've had as a parent. I think my upbringing and how I was raised has more to do with it.

Transitioning from stay at home mom to working 40 hours a week!

No.

NA

Well I live with my mother, I pay rent to her, but it's nothing compared to what I'd pay if I were on my own. I work 40 hours a week and I get child support.

Daycare
    Rent
    Food
    Cell
    (Vehicle is paid off, and insurance premium was paid in full at tax time!)

My child's father is still in the picture, he gets her every other weekend. Since, I live with my mother, my two visit quite often, and I feel they play a positive male role in my daughter's life.

Yes. I love being a mother, my struggles will never be able to out weigh the love and joy I feel for this little girl. In the end, I feel my hard work and dedication will pay off.

Don't give up. It's hard, and some days it sucks but at the end of the day when you can sneak in and peep on the little one snoozing away, you'll remember WHY and know that it's worth it.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    THANK YOU! Keep the answers coming.

This is going to be the best presentation my professor has ever seen!

And just so you know, you ladies are PHENOMENAL! Each and every single one of you. I know you don't hear that nearly as much as you should. If ever there was a story of inspiration, it would be that of ANY single parent. You are AMAZING!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Questions:

I was 20 when I had my daughter (she's now 35) and 32 when I had my son (he's now 23). Single with both kids although I was married for a few years in between.

White, female, Christian (Baptist). I believe my Christianity definitely helped in my success as a parent..

Finances.

Was on welfare at one time.

Embarrassing but it did help me go back to school and get a job.

I work full time and my son lives with me and helps as much as he can also. He works at Taco Bell and gets less than 40 hours a week.

I live paycheck to paycheck but with my son's help, I manage to get the bills paid.

Most of their lives, my kids never really had a male role model.

Yes I would. I couldn't imagine my life without my kids. I would try harder to provide a good male role model.

If at all possible try to make sure your child has a positive male role model in his/her life. Not having a father in their lives negatively affects a child more than you know.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! I just finished the powerpoint. I am shocked at the number of responses I got...between here, email, and facebook...my eyes hurt from sitting here all day! I have basically summed up all that was said to incorporate in my speech. I used a few answers per a few questions in the slide show.

Kind of glad I lost my work and had to redo this whole thing. It was boring before, now Its pretty darn interesting. Thanks!

You are each beyond awesome!:flowerforyou:
    I love how everyone agrees that its all worth it and you have no regrets. That is SO powerful. I totally agree. I wouldn't change it for the world. Well, I'd take a few extra bucks and a cabana boy feeding me grapes, but otherwise, I'm good:wink:

Love you guys!:heart: