scale playing tricks on me

Options
Why does diff scales say diff things?? When is the best time of day to weigh yourself?? If I weigh myself after I workout is it just showing the water weight just recently lost?
The scale at my gym is BMI and there is a standard one like at the doctors as well, I also have a biggest loser one at home, digital. On any given day they all say diff things.

Ughhhh!

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In the morning when I get up after I use the restroom and right before I get in the shower. :)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Pick one of them and use it. Consistently, preferably once a week, same day, same time of day. To get the "truest" weight of just your body, many people do it first thing in the morning, naked. Your body weight can fluctuate by several pounds all within the same day, depending on the amount of food you've eaten that's in there, waste, water, clothes, etc, so of course you're getting different weights on the different scales. Stop torturing yourself.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Just stick to one scale same time and day or keep a log of each.
  • sgtdub555
    Options
    Do what i do.. S c r e w the scale don't listen to it. It is a lying @#$%@#$%@#$%. Keep exercising and eating right and judge how you are doing by these things

1. How do you feel inside.
    2. How your clothes fit
    3. What you see in the mirror
    4. And the compliments you get

The scale will realize you are ignoring it and will come around.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    only weigh yourself on the same scale at the same time of day, after playing with it I find I weigh less after I get out of the shower in the morning (before breakfast). You'll drive yourself insane weighing on 3 different scales!
  • Elizabiza
    Options
    You should weigh yourself at the same time of day whenever you weigh.. Stick to about once a week if you can (I have my crazy weeks where I want to weigh every day but I try not to obsess) .
    Also, if you belong to a gym see if they offer body fat composition testing. This is a much more accurate way to measure your fitness improvement. Weight loss could be a measure of water, or fat, or even muscle. Changes in your body composition will be able to tell you if you are actually burning fat and is not so subject to whims like water, bloating from your period, if you just ate, or if you need to go to the bathroom! haha.
    Give yourself measurable fitness goals- I ran faster this time than I did last week. I was able to do more pushups, etc...
    And go by how your clothes are fitting- clothes are more loose even if you don't see a change on the scale= successful fat burn.
  • pure_of_heart
    pure_of_heart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself first thing in the morning, just once a week. Well, I admit sometimes getting curious mid week but if I do, I don't "count" that weight.
  • LPDLPD
    LPDLPD Posts: 25
    Options
    When you first wake in the morning (after you go to the bathroom). It is said that this is the best time because your body has gone many hours without food or drink. Make sure you weight yourself at the same time of day and with limited to no clothing on as this will add extra weight and make your reading inaccurate. Hope this helps!
  • justforjen1
    justforjen1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had to put my scale away. Literally, had to put it on the top shelf of my closet and I only bring it out once a month on the first of every month. I was weighing myself all the time and it was literally making me crazy. It would depend on what the scale said every morning as to whether or not I had a good day: scale would go down, I would be happy and try really hard and if the scale went up I would be depressed and it would be a battle to stay on track. Just easier for me to weigh myself once a month. Has saved me alot of anxiety :smile:
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Do what i do.. S c r e w the scale don't listen to it. It is a lying @#$%@#$%@#$%. Keep exercising and eating right and judge how you are doing by these things

1. How do you feel inside.
    2. How your clothes fit
    3. What you see in the mirror
    4. And the compliments you get

The scale will realize you are ignoring it and will come around.
    This^^
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing every day, and don't weigh on more than one scale. Do weigh at the same time of day. Your weight will vary throughout the day, and from day to day depending on changes in exercise, salt intake, hormonal cycle and the phase of the moon (not really that one, it just seems like it).

I weigh once a week, in the morning after I pee, before I shower. I don't let the weekly weights bother me if I am up a bit or down a bit, I look at the overall trend. As long as I track and stay near my calorie quota, the overall trend is down.
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    In the morning when I get up after I use the restroom and right before I get in the shower. :)

^ This! Plus, I do it the same day every week to actually count the loss as a loss. I weighed today, and am "down 3 lbs.", but I can't count it until Wednesday!!! Grrrr!!!! Hurry up, Wednesday!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    People generally want to lose fat. The scale measures fat. It also measures your muscles, water, skeleton, organs, blood, and food sitting inside your gut. So there are three other things in addition to fat that cause your weight to go up and down. However, those other things (other than muscle) will tend to stay within a certain small range over time, so if you look at the numbers as a trend (instead of moment-to-moment or day-to-day) you can see whether or not you are losing fat (and muscle.)