I Turn 30 this year I quit smoking & need to lose weight!

Options
:smile:
Hello all!

This year needs to be a big year for me! I turn 30 in October...(ouch) and I want to look and feel better than I have in the last 7 or 8 years. I quit smoking 6 months ago after 15 years, and to my surprise, it has been easy. I feel better in the ways smoking has hindered me, but I have put on so much weight. I have always battled with weight, but I've never been this large before. I am 5'3" and I currently weigh 195 lbs, My first year of college I was down to about 130. I was happy there and I would love to go back to that number or even smaller. My problem it that I can't keep myself motivated long enought to keep my workouts going. I always start out strong the slowly fizzle out. My eating has been pretty good all along (a few bad days in between) but I don't know how to change my lazy habit! Why can I quit smoking, quit eating bad, but cant start exercising?

Can anyone give me some ideas? Not sure what to do, this is about my 5th time starting back up in MFP! I would like for it to be my last!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Have you found a workout you enjoy? Are you trying to do too much too soon? Start really small with something easy to keep with. You can build up over time. Do you want to run? Try Couch to 5k. Good luck!
  • shelroc1
    Options
    Hi. I am 35 years old and recently quit smoking myself. its 145 days & counting :-) I feel really good. I am having a little difficulty myself but Im trying to start off making small changes to my diet. The exercise I dont do everyday Im starting out with at least 2-3 days a week and work my way up. Sometimes you just have to motivate yourself as well. Good luck and u can do it!!!!!!!!! :wink:
  • karakreature
    karakreature Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It helps me to work out in the morning first thing. If I wait, I end up not doing it. Also, I started out just walking on a treadmill at first. It was low inpact and easy to do. If you have a Wii, there a lot of different dance games you could do. Also Zumba is fun. You just have to try different things til you find something you like. I am doing Revolution by Jillian Michaels which I wouldn't classify as fun but for some odd reason, I enjoy it. Good luck!
  • Kimber100683
    Kimber100683 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have been trying different things, it just seem like the excitement wears off and I'm back sitting on the couch a month later. I have started walking 1/2 of my lunch with another girl at work. At least I can count on that. It's nothing real special, but its a half hour more than I was doing! Oddly enough, that has been the one thing I have kept doing!
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm doing better in keeping up with the exercises since my sister-in-law is doing them with me. Since I know someone is counting on me I seem to have more motivation in doing them.