Preplanning and preparing food for the week

Options
2»

Replies

• tamaramsay
    tamaramsay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Best idea ever, because I end up cooking everyday and on the weekends I get so tired and go back to snacking. I will start prepackaging my veggies and fruits/ and portion out my carb intake for the week.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I must know more about these pumpkin protein bars.
    [/quote]

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/873178-homemade-pumpkin-protein-bars

soooooo good!
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Planning is a big problem for me. Something I'm gonna work on so I'm bumping this because you all inspire me. :)
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    When lean ground beef or turkey breast goes on sale, I stock up. Then I come home, cook it, add veggies and either taco/Mexican or Italian seasonings, let cool and portion out into Ziploc bags for the freezer. The same can be done with chicken. I'm big on prepping and freezing when I have spare time. I even freeze cookie dough in individual sizes for when I want something sweet but don't want to tempt myself with three dozen of something.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have several tricks that help with breakfast - getting two kids and myself fed & out the door can be tricky some mornings. When we are staying home for the day, I will make a huge batch of pancakes or steel cut oats. The oatmeal will keep for 4-5 days in the fridge and is great for my kids - just add a dab of milk, microwave and add whatever each family member wants (cinnamon, raisins, mini chocolate chips, fruit, honey, maple syrup - you get the idea). The pancakes do great frozen and reheated in the toaster.

For meat, I buy a turkey breast - bone in or just breast - thaw it in the fridge, brine it in salt/honey for a day, then bake. I serve it as dinner one night, then use the rest for sandwiches instead of buying slimy deli meat (not everyone thinks it's slimy, but it's a texture thing for me).
  • annabellep1
    annabellep1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I will also be trying to incorporate the ol' slow cooker into the mix. I just can't seem to break away from chili and pot roast whenever I use that thing.

Oh, my, you are missing out. You can make almost anything that gets cooked in a crock pot. I make steel cut oatmeal sometimes with pumpkin puree, which can be eaten for breakfast throughout the week. I also make ribs, soups, chicken and stock for use in other meals, vegetable curry, breakfast casserole, meatloaf, and so much more. I love going to sleep and waking up to the smell of crock pot cooked food, or leaving the house and coming back hours later to a wonderful meal. Try looking up some slow cooker recipes online.You'll be surprised what you find.This goes for the OP, too. It's an easy way to plan ahead and cook smarter.