So why is only 1200 calories for weight loss bad?

Options
My endocrinologist told me that to maintain my weight (140lbs, height 5'5, 27 y/o) I should only eat 1200 calories a day. I eat pretty healthy, make my own meals, and don't "drink" any calories yet still have a hard time hitting that 1200 cal mark.

At the same time though, I am trying to lose 10 lbs to get back to my base weight from two years ago but dropping my calories to 1000 doesnt seem to work. I run 4-6 miles everyday and walk to and from work which is about 4 miles.

What else can I do? I'm following my doc's advice....

EDIT: When I said I have a difficult time hitting the 1200 mark I meant that I have to eat way more than I want, not the other way around. If I really stuff myself I can hit 1300-1400 but I feel awful afterwards.

Replies

• Jessymyn
    Options
    Please use the site calculator to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). It's likely only slightly less than the 1200 calories you're looking to take in a day. And you're running on top of that as well?

I think you need to look at doing something different....your body is hanging on to weight out of sheer self-preservation!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There are some times when it's not the best thing to follow doctor's advice. This may be one of them, I don't know. If I stayed following my old Dr's advice, I'd only be eating 800 calories while taking 4 different prescriptions & being a very unhappy unhealthy person.
  • kirbyjo3
    Options
    My BMR is 1,355. But -- one would assume that what my doctor, who has all my blood work and thyroid levels would be correct?

You just read, over and over, on here that a person needs more calories to lose weight. On the other hand, you read all the time how doctors are wrong. Here lies the confusion!
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    1200 calories doesn't seem like enough being that you also run most days. Try and increase it to 1400-1500 per day for a couple of weeks and see what happens. P.S. Love the kitty.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body responds differently to different caloric amounts. Your BMR is closer to 1300 so why not try increasing your limit to 1300-1400 calories and see what happens in two weeks? This is all about experimenting and seeing what happens and what works best for you.
  • kirbyjo3
    Options
    Are the BMR calculators accurate? I have a slightly hyper thyroid that's still in the normal range so I'm not on any medication.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Safest way to go is to eat the higher number for a few weeks and see if you drop then if you don't you can drop another 100. This is only if you are not in any immediate health risks, if yes then do what doc says.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Good lord! I weigh less than you, am taller, and maintain on over 2000 calories a day.

I know everybody is different when it comes to caloric needs, but I can't imagine we are all that much different.

The lowest I ever went in weight loss mode was 1400.

Eat more, especially if you are exercising. Making sure it's good nutritious food too - minimize processed foods and add more healthy fresh produce. Lean protein like grilled chicken is good too...
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me that to maintain my weight (140lbs, height 5'5, 27 y/o) I should only eat 1200 calories a day. I eat pretty healthy, make my own meals, and don't "drink" any calories yet still have a hard time hitting that 1200 cal mark.

At the same time though, I am trying to lose 10 lbs to get back to my base weight from two years ago but dropping my calories to 1000 doesnt seem to work. I run 4-6 miles everyday and walk to and from work which is about 4 miles.

What else can I do? I'm following my doc's advice....

Did the doctor suggest that you only eat 1200 or that you net 1200? There's a huge difference between the two numbers... If you only eat 1200 and you're doing all of that exercise, you're not netting 1200 (meaning you're not getting enough fuel in for energy out.)
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to come out and say it. I think that you should take the advice of your doctor over a bunch of random people on the internet. I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing and I think an Endocrinologist who is a doctor who very specifically studied hormones and related metabolism, etc... Probably knows what is better for YOU than a bunch of random strangers. (just my opinion)
  • kirbyjo3
    Options
    Thanks guys.

He said I should only be taking in 1200 a day since he already knew I run.

I'm eating well -- mostly fish, chicken, greens, quinoa -- stuff like that but I fill up pretty easily. I will try and bump up my calories more and see how that goes for a few weeks. I would like to trust his advice but since I've only been to him a few times and I'm sure he sees tons of patients (plus you hear so many horror stories about docs) then I have to wonder, is 1200 enough?

What an awful experiment our bodies are!
  • beanerific518
    Options
    I've been maintaining my weight (31 y/o female, 5'-4", 143 lbs) since June 2012. I use the BMR and TDEE calculator below:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I get to enjoy 2100 calories daily. I work out 3 to 4 days per week - 1 hour heavy lifting followed by 15 to 20 minutes HIIT cardio.

I would be miserable at 1200 calories. Doctors aren't always right. This is your body and your long term health.
  • DOit207
    Options
    Believe it or not, you need to take in a certain amount of calories to avoid your body from going into "starvation mode". If you don;]'t get enough, your body will begin storing calories for fat. Above all, follow Dr.'s advise, but you do need a minimum amount of calories/day. I think 1200 is a minimum amount. Try changing up your routine a bit. Maybe your body has become "used" to what you do.....and watch when you do take in your calories. Sometimes it's all about when you eat them that matters.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1,355. But -- one would assume that what my doctor, who has all my blood work and thyroid levels would be correct?

You just read, over and over, on here that a person needs more calories to lose weight. On the other hand, you read all the time how doctors are wrong. Here lies the confusion!
    There's only one way to find out.
  • kirbyjo3
    Options
    When I said I have a difficult time hitting the 1200 mark I meant that I have to eat way more than I want, not the other way around. If I really stuff myself I can hit 1300-1400 but I feel awful afterwards.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Unlike most Dr's Endocrinologists actually study nutrition and metabolism.Since He/she has all of your numbers I think that you should listen to your Dr. You are At or pretty close to your Normal weight so the pounds won't come off quick.
  • Srikoon
    Srikoon Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I plugged my goal weight into the MyFitnessPal calculator and it suggests that I strive for a 1200-calorie daily intake. I only use that as a guide because the program takes into consideration my caloric burn from exercises which helps me bring my net calorie total back down to around the 1200 mark. Most days I bust 1200 by about 300-400 calories yet I'm steadily losing weight. I've added MUFAs to my diet. I can't believe the positive effects they have on the body. I truly believe that these fats have improved my weight loss efforts.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    When I said I have a difficult time hitting the 1200 mark I meant that I have to eat way more than I want, not the other way around. If I really stuff myself I can hit 1300-1400 but I feel awful afterwards.

Plenty of ways to eat more calories without volume. Add cheese, eat peanut butter, sauté in olive oil, add granola to your yogurt. Two words: trail mix! Or nuts. Gosh I could eat 3000 calories in nuts and nut butters alone.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Please use the site calculator to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). It's likely only slightly less than the 1200 calories you're looking to take in a day. And you're running on top of that as well?

I think you need to look at doing something different....your body is hanging on to weight out of sheer self-preservation!

i would trust an endocrinologist a lot more than the MFP calculations. just sayin'.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Please listen to your doctor over random internet advice.