? to all the soccer players.

Options
jw17695
jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
I am joining a soccer team on Friday for beginner adult players. I haven't played soccer since jr. high. Besides building endurance for running, what other kinds of drills/skills should I work on?

Replies

• sibach
    sibach Posts: 24
    Options
    I recently joined a team after not playing for over 10 yrs...I wish I had done some ball work beforehand and maybe looked into the rules some. You will get it tho! It is fun and after the first few weeks, the endurance will be back!
  • Al77
    Al77 Posts: 47
    Options
    I played soccer forever, and just started up again last summer. I'd just work on some basic ball control and footwork. You're lucky its for beginners...mine was NOT and we didn't even have enough players. We had no subs. 90 minutes of running in the dead of summer! That was not fun.
  • alisaperry74
    Options
    Definitely some ball handling....dribbling, giving and receiving passes, trapping with feet, chest, thigh, head, etc. It may seem foreign at first, but I'm sure you'll be great in no time. Enjoy! I've played my entire life and I'm still loving it!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Definitely some ball handling....dribbling, giving and receiving passes, trapping with feet, chest, thigh, head, etc. It may seem foreign at first, but I'm sure you'll be great in no time. Enjoy! I've played my entire life and I'm still loving it!

Pretty much what she said!

definetely practice dribbling....

Do sprints.. like run really hard for about 10-15 seconds than walk back to the starting point.. than repeat a few times. In soccer we do lots of sprints because thats what actually happens in a game. You are still/walking for a few mins than get the ball and go hard with it.

Go to a field or open space and practice kicking. Try giving the ball a little nudge so its rolling a bit before you kick it.. than try getting right under the ball with your shoelace... follow through with your leg and make sure its straight.

also go out with a partner and work on receiving the ball with one foot and begin dribbling right away with the other foot.
    Example: if your right footed - stop it with your left foot and begin dribbling it right away with your right foot. This will save you lots of time, instead of stopping it with the right foot and trying to start dribbling with the same foot. You can also do this with a kick.. receive it with left foot and kick right away with right foot.

I LOVE SOCCER!!! Its GREAT exercise.. especially in the heat of the summer sun!!