800 calories adversely affecting my weight loss?

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You're eating about half of what you're minimum intake should be. I suspect you'll experience classic YOYO dieter's syndrome if you don't change your eating habits to a healthier approach.

So I should be eating 1600 calories? My BMR is apprx. 1600 calories. It'll take me years to get to my goal weight. Most of the time I try to eat close to 1100-1200 calories, high protein and fiber. ( tends to be high in sugar too due to fruits)
    Trust me, I know the urge to drastically slash your calories is tempting in order to reach your goal quicker, but please take some advice from someone who has experienced the adverse effects of doing just that; Don't do it. Eating below your BMR for extended periods of time (think months) can lead to a decreased metabolism, which will end up hindering and slowing down, possibly even stopping, your weight loss, and it can take months, even years to recover from that and get your metabolism back up to a normal level.

I lost 100 lbs by drastically cutting my calories at eating about 1000-1200 calories a day. And then my weight loss completely stalled for two years. I increased my intake, and ended up gaining back about 17 lbs, but it had to be done in order to get my metabolism back to where it needed to be. Once it regulated, I went back down to 1600 calories a day (plus exercise calories, so roughly 1900-2000 calories a day) and lost the remaining 34 lbs.

If I hadn't tried to speed up the process, it would have probably only taken me a year, maybe a year and a half to hit my goal. Instead, it ended up taking me three years.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race.

Hey, listen! ^^^
  • Wakeupwaisted
    Wakeupwaisted Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So 1200 calories is still too low? Eating vegetables fill me up so its hard for me to want to eat more. Guess ill have to find a way to fit more calories into my diet. ill have to hit up the frozen food aisle for some lean cuisine dinners.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So 1200 calories is still too low? Eating vegetables fill me up so its hard for me to want to eat more. Guess ill have to find a way to fit more calories into my diet. ill have to hit up the frozen food aisle for some lean cuisine dinners.

Or you know you can eat real regular food instead of a tiny diet meal since you're trying to up your calories.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What led to your weight gain in the first place? Was it poor eating habits as a result of stress, or pregnancy, or lack of willpower, injury, hospitilization, or lack of right information about calories? Every answer will produce a different direction in how changing your diet can have great results.

Some questions to meditate on:

Do you plan on 900 calories being your calorie intake for when you get to your goal weight?

Does your current diet reflect a diet you could stick with for the rest of your life?

How long have you been able to continue your diet?

You might lose weight but like another poster commented, it won't stay off, so then what's the point? Why bother? Are you looking for a healthier life or a smaller you for a couple months until you snap and gain it all back? I want you to have room to make your own decisions but understand that as you see posted EVERYWHERE on these forums..gaining your lost weight back is all too common, usually due to situations you're describing. But you might have a different story so I won't judge.

Good luck!
  • stina412
    Options

This is where banana's, peanut butter and a nice glass of milk became a ritual for me =)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    So what if it takes you years? It's not a race. As long as you get to your goal..isn't that what matters? Not just losing weight but getting fit/healthy?

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references

For those eating below their BMR (which I think 1200 is below your BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information for you to be aware of.http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3-reasons-why-eating-less-than-1000-calories-is-a-waste-of-time-3347.html

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.

WOW!!! There's some GREAT information here!! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    You're eating about half of what you're minimum intake should be. I suspect you'll experience classic YOYO dieter's syndrome if you don't change your eating habits to a healthier approach.

So I should be eating 1600 calories? My BMR is apprx. 1600 calories. It'll take me years to get to my goal weight. Most of the time I try to eat close to 1100-1200 calories, high protein and fiber. ( tends to be high in sugar too due to fruits)

When not enough calories are consumed to sustain the body's basic needs, the basal metabolic rate will actually begin to slow down to conserve calories, reports the Mayo Clinic. Starvation diets lead to the body attempting to hold onto the weight to save itself. If weight loss does not occur when eating a healthy amount of calories, it is safer and more effective to add exercise to the routine to burn calories off, instead of restricting calories too much.

The Weight-Control Information Network suggests that very-low-calorie diets only be used by patients with a body mass index greater than 30 who also have several risk factors for disease. This type of program should be medically supervised, followed for only a short period of time, and be used to jump-start a weight loss program. The long-term goal is to develop lifelong healthy eating and exercising habits so that weight is not only lost, but kept off for life.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/325139-side-effects-of-not-enough-calories/#ixzz2K1L5ux00
  • Boolietta
    Boolietta Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm small framed too (5ft 2) but never dip below 1200. Usually I take on 1350 cals plus a chunk of my excercise calories. I've lost 27lbs this way (without too much effort) and, far from feeling hungry, feel that I am the healthiest I've ever been and know that I have made sustainable changes to my lifestyle.

800 cals isn't the healthiest option in the short term as you will be missing out on nutrients and and it isn't going to do you any favours long term as you aren't learning how to care for yourself. People often find this leads to gaining back weight, yo-yo diets and poor general health.

Best of luck in gettig to your goal - but take of yourself along the way & after.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I wish I had never done this to myself when I was your age. It screwed up my metabolism for YEARS. I didn't have a resource like MFP to guide me in the right direction, just the influence of my friends- blind leading the blind. Please reconsider your intake.

^^^This and then add another 25 years for me. You DO NOT want to be in my shoes at 54. Please, use the links people have provided for you. Find your TDEE and BMR and eat somewhere in between these numbers. And mosti mportantly, spread this word to all your young friends. :flowerforyou:
  • expoduck
    Options
    With regard to losing weight quickly - you didn't put it on overnight and it won't come off overnight.

Slow and steady wins the race, and all that.

xx
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you are doing exercise as *kitten* kicking as P90, you need at least 1500 calories, the bare minimum. On my Insanity days I eat a lot and I am still losing weight and inches. 800 is too low even for maintaining a weight, it's not good for your health at all.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    A lot of us do fine on 1200 (some of us are older than you, though, but also some of us are taller), but I hear P90x is a hard workout, so you could always eat some or all of your exercise calories back. If you work an active job at all though or walk a lot going back and forth to classes then 1200 is probably not enough even with no added exercise.

Also, some of us don't get hungry. Instead we get fatigued, light headed, or just really cranky when we don't eat enough. So check for other signs besides actual hunger to tell you when it's time to add some calories.

It shouldn't take you years to reach goal from where you are. Maybe a year and a bit.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    ill have to hit up the frozen food aisle for some lean cuisine dinners.

No! Get some avocados or some nut butter down you, something with calorific value and some fats in it. Fuel your body to become strong and fit, not to waste away.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    A doctor would tell you to always maintain at least 1200 net calories. You're burning muscle & messing up your metabolism. As someone with hypothyroidsm, I can promise you're gonna need to keep your metabolism going healthy.

not TRUE... MANY doctors prescribe to the 600-800 calorie intake per day theory.... my doctor did.... he only added that I MUST stregnth train in conjunction...this will work for morbidly obese folks only... the closer you get to "normal" BMI you will need to increase calories to corrolate with activity ( eating back exercise calories)

Im down 75 lbs since Labor Day...

I will stick to my doctor's advice
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    A doctor would tell you to always maintain at least 1200 net calories. You're burning muscle & messing up your metabolism. As someone with hypothyroidsm, I can promise you're gonna need to keep your metabolism going healthy.

not TRUE... MANY doctors prescribe to the 600-800 calorie intake per day theory.... my doctor did.... he only added that I MUST stregnth train in conjunction...this will work for morbidly obese folks only... the closer you get to "normal" BMI you will need to increase calories to corrolate with activity ( eating back exercise calories)

Yeah but OP might not be under a doctor's supervision, so it wouldn't be a good idea to follow your doctor's advice. You can always go see your doctor or call the office if there is an issue. Some of us do this weight loss thing without that ability. And for us, 800 calories a day without even eating back exercise calories might be a really unhealthy idea.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Or you could cook some real food?! Easy way to add calories healthily - peanut butter.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Yeah but OP might not be under a doctor's supervision, so it wouldn't be a good idea to follow your doctor's advice. You can always go see your doctor or call the office if there is an issue. Some of us do this weight loss thing without that ability. And for us, 800 calories a day without even eating back exercise calories might be a really unhealthy idea.

I 100% agree...

I was simply responding to the claim that "A doctor would tell you to always maintain at least 1200 net calories" as stated by someone above...
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    keep eating 800 calories a day and one day your hair will start to thin and become dry and brittle. Your body will suffer. You should at least eat 1200 day and more depending on your body type and your level of activity. Listen to these people they know what they are talking about. Good luck.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    How would you know you've only eaten 800 when you have only logged one day in the past week??
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

I 100% agree...

I was simply responding to the claim that "A doctor would tell you to always maintain at least 1200 net calories" as stated by someone above...

Oh. True. Doctor's will often put people on much harsher restrictions than that. I worry that some of them pushing things like liquid diets don't provide adequate monitoring, either. I hope I'm wrong.