When you can't get full?

Options
So normally my cals will keep me satisfied throughout the day, but sometimes it feels as if I haven't eaten in days. These times almost always put me over my cals for the day. I try to eat healthy, filling items, but no matter what I do it feels like I still haven't eaten anything. I call it a bottomless pit. Does anybody else deal with this? Do you keep eating until you start to feel not hungry, or do you ignore it? The fact that it puts me over my limit for the day makes me nervous.

Replies

• autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    lol i am sooo hungry right now. ive eaten about 1500 calories and then i had a fiber one bar even though it was 12am.....still hungry. but yeah usually i would eat around 1200 or a little over and be fine. not today though. =/
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    The thing that helps me from being hungry is mini meals. I eat something every three or four hours and tend to do best if most of those mini meals have some sort of protein, such as baked chicken breast.

I tell my son that I'm eating like a hobbit. :-)
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    lol i feel your pain. i am always hungry. bottomless pit!
    also, i drink a ton of water to curb it.
  • shelbystatic
    shelbystatic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I used to eat sugar free 5 calorie jello all the time. I didn't like it but it was something to eat.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The thing that helps me from being hungry is mini meals. I eat something every three or four hours and tend to do best if most of those mini meals have some sort of protein, such as baked chicken breast.

I tell my son that I'm eating like a hobbit. :-)

^this. i eat lot's of meals some big some small but don't go too long without something. less than 3 hours though I eat more often than that. I find two things so far (but i only started in january so bear that in mind) 1) I am hungrier on days I workout. 2) I "think" I'm starving all day when I go too long without a meal or snack. And then it takes more cals to correct that feeling, so then sometimes I just have to eat them all up at that time and maybe even over and then take them off of the end of the day because I needed the big meal at that time to get past that feeling of starving...otherwise if I only eat the calories scheduled for that time, or if I think I need more but ignore it and let myself stay hungry, that feeling lasts the whole day and it sucks.

Question? Is is possible you shoot for not feeling full, but just feeling satisfied? When I hear "full" I think of dining out at a favorite restaurant ordering all my favorite foods and then being "full" where I wish I could just lie down right there on the puffy leather booth chairand or I kind of regret the meal and on the way home am like uncomfortable and regretful. I'm not sure, but I don't think we are supposed to be eating to that point. I think we are supposed to be eating to the point of "no longer hungry". Or at least that's how I've been doing it and it seems to be going okay for the most part.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    lots of grazing on raw veges, water and green tea, and low GI food. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what other posters have suggested, I actually solved this for myself by eliminating breakfast and doing 2 large meals a day. Not enough protein gives me a case of the cookie monsters in the evening. Another tweak that has helped was higher fat. Basically, I am not trying to argue with anyone, but just saying to try tweaking your mealtimes and macros until you find the combination that results in the highest satiation for you...that is your ideal diet.

All of this I say assuming that your calorie limit isn't too low.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what other posters have suggested, I actually solved this for myself by eliminating breakfast and doing 2 large meals a day. Not enough protein gives me a case of the cookie monsters in the evening. Another tweak that has helped was higher fat. Basically, I am not trying to argue with anyone, but just saying to try tweaking your mealtimes and macros until you find the combination that results in the highest satiation for you...that is your ideal diet.

Agreed on the point that proteins and fats will increase your satiety. Meal timing is variable for everybody - I find that eating many small meals makes me feel cheated and hungry all the time, so I concentrate my feedings to fewer meals of more calories also. I generally do anywhere from 2-4 meals a day (depending on the day), but I make 'em count!

And yeah - the calorie intake thing. If you're not eating enough calories, you're not going to feel full/satiated no matter what (until you experience metabolic adaptation/downregulation, which is where we get all the people saying they're stuffed eating 900 calories a day).
  • zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    lots of water, ice, and sugar free popcickles:smile:
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat fat...dont buy into the low fat BS....
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yep, that was always me - I could always eat! What ended up helping me was spreading my calories out throughout the day - I'd have an alarm go off on my phone every couple hours with the calorie amount I could eat (say, 200 or 250 for example.) I also upped my protein about 10% a couple weeks ago & that helped satisfy my hunger more.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I agree, small meals left me always wanting more. Doesn't work for me.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    One good thing that won't help physically but maybe mentally, and kept me going through some of it was that hunger is an indicator of your metabolism roaring :)

Here is an interesting article about the nature of true hunger
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joel-fuhrman-md/redefining-hunger_b_789980.html
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

This^^

Some people are afraid of eating healthy fats and its that and protein that gives us that satisfying feeling in our stomachs.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    drink plenty of water! have a big glass 20 mins before eating. sometimes when we fel thirsty our bodies just register it as hunger.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I've seen your food diary, and i think it's because often you are way under your calories (like 700, or 800 calories) so try to eat at least 1200 calories every day and you probably won't get these "refeeding" days. However, if you find it really hard to do, then I would basically like take 1 day a week (maybe saturday or something) and eat back all the calories you had left over, so if you have 100 calories extra each day, you can eat 700 extra calories over your goal (or do it 2 days or something like that)
  • DesertFox15
    DesertFox15 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    String cheese and water usually do the trick. If you are sick of water by that point, try Vitamin Water Zero. You might also want to look into Quest bars- many on these forums have recommended them so I went out to GNC and bought some for the week. They are also pretty satisfying. Good luck!!!!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Oh I have days like that...actually just the last few days! I was scrounging along looking threw all the cabinets and came upon a packet of crisps :ohwell: I took the packet out, looked at it. Stared at it for a long time. Then I put it back and went and had some veggies :laugh: Sometimes there is like a little alien in my tummy just begging for more food!
  • Gemz321
    Options
    I was so hungry yesterday, I just couldn't get full. Not the best time of the month, so there is a reason but I hate to go over. I did some extra exercise, ate back those calories. I ended up being 28 calories over but considering how hungry I was, that was good going, as I could have eaten an extra 800 or so. I did drink a lot of water and green tea, which usually helps, but yesterday it seemed all my body wanted was food.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I tend to get those days when I don't eat enough calories for a few days (even if I feel ok on those days). Once in a while, I'll just get food crazy.

Like a couple of previous posters said, I don't feel satisfied eating small meals all day. I feel like I'm just waiting to eat ALL DAY LONG. So I also cut breakfast (most of the time) and have a protein shake and some coffee instead, which accomplishes 2 things for me - increasing my overall protein, and allowing me to eat a large meal at night, which is when I really want to eat. When I ate more during the day, that didn't seem to change the desire to eat at night.

So, that, and adding the comments from the person who said your calorie count is often low, maybe try tweaking your mealtimes and possibly your calories and macros (fat/protein/carbohydrate percentages as calculated here) so that you don't get to the point of having those days.

All of that is not to say that you won't ever have those days, but I feel like they've decreased for me.