Quick Breakfast Ideas

Options
TruSunshine
TruSunshine Posts: 178
Hello Everyone!! :happy: I'm in need of some quick yet filling breakfast ideas. Having to be to work by 530 every morning, some ideas that require little preparation would be greatly appreciated. Being new to this whole "healthy living" thing has been a major adjustment to my life, and I'm struggling when it comes to healthy food choices. :embarassed: Any suggestions?

Replies

• cindydufield
    cindydufield Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    if you like egg beaters you can use the small bowls from ziploc or glad a little spray pam and pour in micro on high 1 minute and stir it may need another minute but be care ful it will spill over. but it comes out round and you can put on a lit english for a quick sandwich. make sure you spray the cup though or it will leave stuff in your bowl.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cinnamon waffle with 1 1/2 tsp. peanut butter.....Ends up being around 200 cal....sometimes I will eat a banana with it and always coffee......another quick one is microwave oatmeal...warms your belly in the AM and is only 130 cal.
  • kristinelw
    kristinelw Posts: 29
    Options
    I usually have just plain oatmeal, or oatmeal mixed with some other grains, with milk and some fruit/berry/jam on it. Quick and healthy!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    On the weekends, I will hard boil several eggs, so that I can grab one on alternate mornings during the week. I alternate with activia yogurt topped with walnuts. With either of these choices, a few hours later, I munch on a banana, or an apple with peanut butter, or a serving of almonds.
  • Shy1979
    Shy1979 Posts: 75
    Options
    I have a smoothie for breakfast in the morning.

1 banana
    1.5 tbsp. Flax Seed Meal
    1/2 Cup blueberries (frozen)
    3oz of tofu (for extra protein)
    1 Cup of Soy Milk (sugar free and salt free)

Blend it all together and you are ready to go. It only has 334 Calories, but fills me up long enough to get through a 2 hour workout!
    The soy milk by itself does not taste all that great, but mixed together with the banana and the blueberries, it actually tastes really good. I hope I gave you some ideas! Have a great day!
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    Fruit smoothie - one container of lowfat vanilla yogurt, handful of frozen fruit (your choice, but I love pineapple or mango) and 1 cup 2% milk. blend and you are out the door. You can drink at home or on your way to work. (I have to be at my job at 5:30 also and this is easy). I have it in the foods under Deb's Fruit Smoothie. fills you up also!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just tossed some vanilla yogurt with strawberries & granola. It was yummy!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I can make this in 5 minutes.

2 egg whites made into an omelette
    1 slice of fat free cheese
    1 Jennie O turkey sausage patty (cooks in micro 1.5 minutes)
    1 flat out wrap w/ flax

Wrap it all up and it is a delicious 200 calorie breakfast!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    2 slices of ham and a little provo cheese on an end of french bread, w/a little smear of mustard. About 300 cal's, good balance of fat/carb/protein. Yummy, takes 30 seconds to assemble and you can eat it in the car. :happy:
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Casper - the ham and provo option sounds great- thanks! I need grab and go suggestions! I am not a morning person and do not have time to cook (eggs) nor start up the blender. I am out the door and have one hand free.
    Any suggestions what I can put in it?:wink:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Got this from LittleSpy - Oatmeal with a TB of peanut butter - super great staying power! I've used this when I'm on the road too. Lots of times the hotels that offer a "breakfast" just have donuts and crap but also instant oatmeal and peanut butter for the bagels. I use the peanut butter and the oatmeal and there's a decent, filling breakfast with good fat, protein and carbs.

I am also a fan of keeping hard boiled eggs on hand, they make a great breakfast or chuck one in your coat pocket to eat at work!

Vanilla yogurt (I make my own but any low-cal will do) with half a cup fiber cereal mixed in to it!

1 green apple and a spoon full of peanut butter (today's breakfast)

Hope that helps!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs with a slice of lo-cal bread, prepare the night before, or I love the 90 cal fiber one bars or even kashi crunchy bars, with either an iced coffee or a glass of milk
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    My faves:

3 Wetabix with 2% (Semi Skimmed) Milk + 1 Banana

Half a cup of rolled oats, 2% milk, sweetner to taste or a low fat Jam (Jelly) added.

High fibre cerial with yogurt

2 Slices of toast with low fat spread.

And if I have a little more time.
    1 slice of wholemeal toast, 1 scrambled egg, 100gm of baked beans, mushrooms.
    cook the mushrooms and eggs together with fry light (1 cal per spray)
    It feels like eating a full on fried breakfast.

I'm pretty easy to please in the mornings :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I can make this in 5 minutes.

2 egg whites made into an omelette
    1 slice of fat free cheese
    1 Jennie O turkey sausage patty (cooks in micro 1.5 minutes)
    1 flat out wrap w/ flax

Wrap it all up and it is a delicious 200 calorie breakfast!

This sounds like my breakfast.
    2 eggs scrambled, sprinkle of cheese, salsa, tortilla.
    Again, takes about 5 minutes, if that. And I'm full until lunch!
    I'll have to try the Flat out wraps...
  • icudoucme
    icudoucme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I toast an english muffin or a sandwich thin, while that's cooking I spray a small "glass" bowl (never, never plastic in a microwave . . never) with pam and crack 2 eggs (one whole egg and just the white with the second egg) into it and cook in micro on high for 40 or so seconds. Place the egg within the bread and wha-la! An egg mcmuffin. Sprinkle some cheese on it if you want!
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My most fav breakfast which I seem to never get tired of because I have it every day is:

- 1 container of greek yogurt vanilla or plain
    - 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder mixed in the yogurt
    - 1 cup strawberries
    - 1/2 cup high fiber cereal

Yum yum is like a healthy and protein loaded porfait.

Plus this week I started added 1 spoon of flax seed and its been working out great.

I'm barely hungry for lunch, which helps me make a good decision on what to eat.
  • chickie77
    chickie77 Posts: 7
    Options
    Most mornings I eat an English Muffin toasted with just a bit of margarine on one side (I couldn't give it up all the way) and low sugar jelly on the other; thats 195 cal also the english muffins @ McDonalds are like 250. I think that is the way to go
  • kimpenelope
    Options
    Before I go to bed I put a mug with a tea bag in next to the kettle, and make sure the kettle is full, and a bowl, spoon and sachet of flavoured porridge next to the mircowave. Then when I get out the shower in the morn I just have to put the kettle on, pour the milk and porridge into a bowl and stick it straight into the microwave. then carry on getting ready, usually microwave pings and kettle boils at the same time! Literally take 30 secs to prepare in the morning! and you can always add a banana for extra energy!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i like belvita breakfast biscuits in the mornings i have to rush. 54 cals per biscuit and 4 in a pack, nice with a yoghurt and piece of fruit
  • oliveoil7979
    oliveoil7979 Posts: 112
    Options
    bump