is it alright to be below your calorie goal?

Options
If I exercise, lets say Zumba for 30minutes... I will have extra 210 calories for my calorie goal. Should i take advantage of it or stick to the goal I have? I'm worried that not meeting my calorie goal will make my metabolism slower.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goal is. You shouldn't drop your calories too low on a regular basis, for exactly the reason you described. Eating under (or over) your goal every now and then is no big deal, but on a regular basis it's not a good idea. You need to fuel your body without overeating.
  • mncjoaquin
    Options
    how do you do refuel your body without overeating? I'm on a 1200 calorie goal.
  • jamesfire680
    Options
    What I like to do is re-eat half of what I used during a workout. For example if I burn a 300 cal workout I will eat 150 cal's of good food, like an apple, this helps me feel full after working out and I am still 150 cals lower at the end of the day!!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Then you definitely need to eat back your exercise calories. That is how the plan works. If you eat only 1200 calories, then burn 300, you have only taken in 900 calories. Your body will adjust to so little fuel by lowering your metabolism, making weight loss even harder. If you burn 300 through exercise, you should consume 1500 calories that day. This will lead to a safer and more consistent weight loss.

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is likely more than 1200, so you could probably eat even more than 1500 and still lose consistently. There are several sites that will calculate your estimated BMR and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). As long as you are below your TDEE, you should lose weight. TDEE - 500 calories should yeild 1 lb lost per week.

The lower you go, the faster you are likely to lose at first. But if you go too low, your loss could slow or stop as your metabolism adjusts. So, you need to find that balance where are losing, but eating enough to continue losing. You may have to tweak your calories several times to find this.
  • mncjoaquin
    Options

Then you definitely need to eat back your exercise calories. That is how the plan works. If you eat only 1200 calories, then burn 300, you have only taken in 900 calories. Your body will adjust to so little fuel by lowering your metabolism, making weight loss even harder. If you burn 300 through exercise, you should consume 1500 calories that day. This will lead to a safer and more consistent weight loss.

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is likely more than 1200, so you could probably eat even more than 1500 and still lose consistently. There are several sites that will calculate your estimated BMR and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). As long as you are below your TDEE, you should lose weight. TDEE - 500 calories should yeild 1 lb lost per week.

The lower you go, the faster you are likely to lose at first. But if you go too low, your loss could slow or stop as your metabolism adjusts. So, you need to find that balance where are losing, but eating enough to continue losing. You may have to tweak your calories several times to find this.

this is helpful, thanks.
  • reyes2493
    Options

You can always eat fruit or peanuts. just remember to watch how much you eat. Drink a ton of water to it makes you feel full.
    Another suggestion watch your sodium Intake. Sodium retains water and you dont want that.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

+1
  • Nat0226
    Nat0226 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please got to this page you will have a better understanding of the mechanisms :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

HTH.
  • jamessnape
    Options
    Hmm, so what if, like me you run 10-20 km? My HRM tells me its about 1500 calories which is a lot to try and make up in food...
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    eat back your exercise calories. 1200 net is the bare minimum anyone should eat. If you are netting below 900 you may lose weight quickly but you will stall out your metabolism and hit a plateau. Check out the "in place of a road map 2.0" thread, its super helpful.
  • mncjoaquin
    Options
    thanks for all the input. :happy:
  • ShaunShaunphenomenon
    Options
    You should keep around the same if you can. The reason I say this is because your body is designed to be like other things on earth. If you were out in the cold you would need more fat for winter, if you've ever heard the term "Looks like you wintered well" meaning that someone has put on weight it is because your body stores the fat cells. If you eat less and then you all of a sudden start to eat more you are confusing your body. If you eat the same amount it will be easier for your body to understand.

If you don't eat a lot of calories and you're under the 1200 then your body will go into fat storing mode to try and make sure it has enough nutrition in order to keep your body running, then if you eat say 1800 calories then it will not be sure what to do and it will not store the fat and then if you eat less again it will not be sure what to do and try to store it, so you will confuse your body. I recommend to eat around the same amount.
  • xoalynnxo
    xoalynnxo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i generally do not eat back my exercise calories unless i am hungry. i'm not against it or anything, it's just a personal preferance. 1200 calories is definitely a minimum you should eat, so i'd make sure that if you are exercising, regardless of whether you eat those calories back or not, that you make sure to eat at least 1200. also watch your macros, those will help you be successful and make sure you're eating a balanced diet, not just low calories. good luck!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Hmm, so what if, like me you run 10-20 km? My HRM tells me its about 1500 calories which is a lot to try and make up in food...

It doesn't sound like all that much to me, depending on what your intake without that added is. I won't pretend to know everything about it, but if your body is burning calories for fuel those calories have to come from somewhere. Some from food, some from stored fat, and if not properly fueled, some will come from muscle and organs.

Are you in the aerobic zone for the entire 10-20 km? If you push into the anaerobic zone, the reading from your HRM could be incorrect. That seems like a lot of calories for one run.
  • mncjoaquin
    Options
    Geez! thanks everyone! I'm learning a lot. :wink: