What are you doing for Lent? (Fun!!)

Options
Lent season starts Feb 13th (Ash Wednesday). Even though I hardly go to church anymore I still participate in Lent every year. As a family tradition we've always given up something and then participated in giving back to different things in the community.
They say that 40 days breaks a habit and this year I am hoping I can kick this habit forever!! I am giving up a few things instead of one and I'm actually starting today!

Giving up: Candy, Desserts, and anything with a drive thru
Giving back: Spring cleaning my house for item donations, clothes donations, and may look into a communal project.

For those of you that observe... what are you giving up? What are you giving back?

Replies

• katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Oooooo... drive thru is a good choice :)
  • EpicRosie
    EpicRosie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had a scare where I thought I was Lactose Intolerant ( I really dont know what it was but it was weird) and so now i'm debating giving up milk products. Not all milk but just foods where milk is the main ingredient.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You'll probably have a better discussion on this topic in one of the Christian groups here. If people start commenting here, it will go bad quickly.
  • pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    I know what the forums are... this was meant to be for fun and not so much about the religion aspect.

Anyone can play... what is something that you know you should give up that is hard to give up?

For me it's sweets and fast food... this is just a chance to really push to give it up!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I know what the forums are... this was meant to be for fun and not so much about the religion aspect.

I'm not a mod, but I can tell you with the topic title being specifically about Lent, it will be viewed as a divisive topic. What happens is well meaning people will reply to you, but then people who think those people are crazy for believing in God will start posting their comments. All leading to the thread being locked.

I don't particularly find Lent "fun", nor do I find it "fun" to see threads get so ugly over what someone believes or doesn't believe. I think that's why it's best to have conversations about religion or lack of religion within groups.

Sorry....I'm a Catholic Christian who is participating in Lent, and I'm the buzz kill here.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I hope to give up abstenance for Lent. Not sure how much luck I will have.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Sorry....I'm a Catholic Christian who is participating in Lent, and I'm the buzz kill here.

Well you seem to be the only one that is bothered at this stage... my highschool friends and I used to do 'lent' and I am by no means religious. Buddhist if anything (not that it should be classified as a religion IMO).

Hmmm you have really got me thinking about what to give up! I would say chocolate, but I already do that on every day but Sunday, and my 97year old nanna who has it everyday swears by it! hehe. I think it will be cake. yes

No cake from Feb 13th for 40 days.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am think of giving up my favorite fastfood that is HORRIBLE for me....Taco Bell. Maybe if I give it up for 6 weeks it will become a habit. Right???? :bigsmile:
  • pocketsmomma
    Options
    I always give up chocolate and the last couple of years it has been all sweets. I do have to have some outlet though because sweets are my thing...I tend to lean on Extra gum for after meals. Found that I like baking an apple with some Truvia and cinnamon & nutmeg and the requisite FF whipped cream so that will probably be my go to for nighttime snack.

My give back I haven't nailed down yet but I have been working on my perspective and attitude of late and that's turned out wonderful so may be doing more of the same. A little added good deeds and it will turn into a wonderful Lent as God intended!!

Thanks for the most joyful of threads!! Have an awesome day. :)

Nancy
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Well you seem to be the only one that is bothered at this stage... my highschool friends and I used to do 'lent' and I am by no means religious. Buddhist if anything (not that it should be classified as a religion IMO).

Hmmm you have really got me thinking about what to give up! I would say chocolate, but I already do that on every day but Sunday, and my 97year old nanna who has it everyday swears by it! hehe. I think it will be cake. yes

No cake from Feb 13th for 40 days.

I agree, she is the only one bothered everyone else was being witty. She called it herself, buzzkill.

As for no cake! How dare you? : says the baker/cake decorator
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I hope to give up abstenance for Lent. Not sure how much luck I will have.

M husband would thank me if I have this one up too. Hasn't been as spicy lately. Maybe I need to take up 40 days of sex :laugh:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I like that drive-thru idea.

I don't have anything against fast food, but we'd be more likely to not bother with it if we had to go inside to order it.

Or at least we'd burn a calorie.
  • hmaddy84
    Options
    Last year for Lent I gave up social media... I have to say, it was great! I stayed away from the computer and I picked up my iPhone a lot less. I got more things accomplished. I spent more quality time with my kids outdoors. But after Lent, I slowly started back up on the computer, facebook, here.... and now I'm back to old habits.

I think I will give up social media again this year as well as try and be involved in a community outreach project. Wish me luck! :)
  • brandymandycandy
    Options
    All this lent talk and I'm still lost for what I want to give up :laugh:

Probably chocolate. I'm not really a fan of sweets but I find myself craving it now that I'm watching what I'm eating!

I love that your family gives back as well and that's a tradition I think I'm going to start too!!! THANKS :smile:
  • edenburnin
    edenburnin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar last year. All sugar. If it was in anything savory or sweet. It was shocking how much it was in. I felt great afterwards though. (Also high fructose corn syrup).
  • shellbell8406
    Options
    I gave up sugar last year. All sugar. If it was in anything savory or sweet.

That's what I'm thinking about giving up...mainly just the sugar in sweets and sodas.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Copied my answer from another lent thread!

Someone else suggested doing an act of kindness every day of lent and I think that is beautiful!

I love lent. It is a time of fasting, repenting, reparation, and preparation.
    A friend and I were discussing this last night. I may repeat a past fast of eating nothing after 3pm until the following morning. I chose three because it is the hour of divine mercy and the hour of Christ's death. It requires a lot of prayer to sustain it though.

Other options-

Meat
    Snacks
    Sweets
    All drinks other than water

or replacing dinner with plain cream of wheat
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    What is "lent"?
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't observe Lent, but last year it seemed like a good time to change a habit, so I gave up soda. I still haven't touched the stuff--and I used to drink at least 32oz each day.

I'm not sure if I'll do anything this year, but I've been thinking of a few ideas of things I could give up for Lent: meat, eating at restaurants/getting carry-out, alcohol, the snooze button, buying new clothes/home decor/cat toys/etc.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Same as I do for the rest of the year...