Medical Intervention

Options
I just moved off of one medication that is known to have a side effect of weight retention. Unfortunately, one of the medications I moved to for some of my medical conditions also is even more well-known for weight gain.

I gained about *cringing* 60 lbs in two years after a back injury that led to the other medical issues I'm now dealing with daily.

Does anyone have a way to intervene/avoid the side effect of weight gain/retention of medicines known for these side effects? During the transition from one med to the other, I lost about 2 lbs.

I have tried adding exercise, but my medical issues make exercise even more painful. For example, I tried walking in water in the YMCA pool when walking above ground hurt too much. That failed to help because even after a light walk in water or above ground leaves me hurting. Changing time of day, walking path, shoes, outside/inside walking, etc.....none of them don't leave me in excruciating pain the day or two afterwards.

I changed my food intake to cover all food categories (watching sugar, protein, carbs, etc.) from trying to lose 1/2 lb every week through the ranks to losing 2 lbs/week. Moving slowly through the categories meant I could adjust calorie intake to mean I'm not craving food all the time and am eating healthier (hubby doesn't even load my plate at dinner without having me present anymore....he has been so supportive).

Even with changing calorie intake, adding exercise as much as I could (walking through the house more, going up and downstairs without avoiding doing so), I'm stalled. I've lost about 5 lbs total since watching and tracking heavily. No matter the changes, I don't think the meds will let me lose weight, and the weight is keeping me hurting. I'm so desperate!

Any help??? Please???

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you are under medical supervision for your medication, could you not ask them about your weight and how to lose it healthily. My husband has been on steroids for polymyalgia for just over a year and whilst on the heavier dose his weight went up by around 34lbs. He is very sightly built and has never before been even average weight let alone overweight. Since reducing his dose his weight is now finally coming off, but still has some way to go.

Although he ate more at the beginning of taking steroids, his diet reduced down to his normal intake, which is very low as he is not a good eater. I do not believe he has lost any weight that can be attributed to his eating, it can only be attributed to his reduced dosage.

It may be that your medication is going to stop you from being able to lose weight. But also it may not and there may be things you can do. Your medical adviser should have the advice you need.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you tried deep water exercise? After spinal surg, that was what I did at first. I had to wear a brace for a few months and had no muscle strength. Honestly, sometimes , the pain was so bad that all I wanted to do is suspend in the water(use a water noodle so you don't twist your back). I must admit Celebrex has really helped.because I have arthritis. Since I have lost about 20 lbs, moving is easier. Sometimes pain management is really difficult and can become depressing. It really is just one day at a time. Good luck and I wish you the BEST!
  • sunnygirl87
    sunnygirl87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I first started reading your post, I thought, "Did I write this?" I've had chronic pain and injuries that changed my former go-to activities for weight loss and peace of mind. I was put on anti depressants that made me hypomanic, which led to mood stabilizers. 80 plus pounds later on an already obese body.. oh and the aching, too. Then, my son was killed. My entire body became a clenched, ball of agony. I began binaural meditation (youtube has some examples) then found a website for free nightly meditations. Actually, I just put in my earbuds and went to sleep listening. A year ago, I began doing leg lifts. That's right, one leg about ten lifts was all I could manage. I wasn't able to walk in Big Box stores, etc. My back was killing me, I had to DO something. So the leg lifts were the beginning. Then, I stumbled on yoga. I've progressed. Mostly, I do a few light exercises for maybe 20 minutes. It impacted my ability to RELAX and at least address the body's response to chronic pain. Then, you have the issue of cortisol or whatever it is your body releases when you are under chronic stress. Calories are one thing, exercise another, treating that underlying response to pain is essential.
    '
    I know there are answers. You can do it. I am taking small steps to add healthy choices whether that's yoga, walking a bit more in a store, or standing longer at the counter, chopping veggies in a relaxed stance. Believe in yourself. Maybe right now, you don't need to focus on weight and beat yourself up over weight loss? It sounds like there is plenty going on. And swimming hurt me, too. That's discouraging but it's the easiest activity on your body and you burn calories. Can you deal with that transitory pain on top of the chronic? Can you do guided visualizations and move the pain out of your body into the water or somewhere other than your suffering limbs? Anyhow, I know you will find ways to deal with this. Believe in you. Be still and consider where you are happiest. Most likely that space will give you the activity you need and a little respite from pain. Best wishes!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Pain is a doulbe edged sword. You stop moving because it hurts, which leads to more pain, which leads to reduced mobility, which leads to more pain........
    It works in reverse too. The more you move, the greater your mobility. The greater your mobility, the less it hurts. The less it hurts, the faster you move....
    It's going to hurt at first. Do what you can, recover, do what you can, recover. In time (faster than you think it you are consistent) what you can do will increase, and your recovery time will decrease.
    The meds will make it harder. You may have to actually ignore hunger cues, until you can figure out which ones are real, and which ones are the meds Make sure to drink lots of water as well, as counter-intuative as it sounds, it will help you with water retention.
    Even though I have progressed greatly in the last month in terms of my mobility and pain levels, I still keep an anti-inflamatory on hand. Maybe some day I'll do fine with out precription meds, but, not right now.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Did they give you any Physical Therapy to help your back or just meds? If no PT, then you may want to talk to your dr about that and get advice from your PTist. If you are on a sterioid, you may have a hard time losing that weight, which in turn makes things harder on your back. Once again, I think it is important that you speak to a professional about this.

So sorry, I know all to well how difficult it is to deal with back pain. I was one of those people that was judgmental about it until it happened to me.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Well, it's good that you're watching all of the categories. But even MFP is not perfect. It doesn't tell you if you're getting enough fatty acids in your diet. It also doesn't tell you if you're getting enough of the RIGHT kinds of fiber in your diet. These are the things that will help you combat your weight problem best when there is a medication involved. Your diary is not open to view, so I can't tell you anything useful about your personal eating habits, but I can tell you this:

1- Omega 3-6-9. Talk to your doctor about it. Fatty acids are really important to the body and chances are, you aren't getting enough.
    2- Vitamin B complex. Talk to your doctor about it.
    3- Learn the difference between insoluble and soluble fiber and live your Fiber intake by it.
    4- Talk to your doctor about workouts you CAN do. Someone with pain in the their legs can usually workout on a recumbent bicycle, do hula hopping or do upper body workouts. There also several types of calisthenics that you should be able to participate in that will not put too much pressure on your legs and knees.
    5- Visit a chiropractor if you have not already.
    6- Talk to a homeopath and then take their written plan to your doctor for review before you take anything.
    7- Are you doing therapeutic exercises to help with your inflammation? If the answer is yes, ask yourself if you are REALLY doing them. My husband "does" therapeutic exercises...yeah, right. He does them for 1-2 days after every time the doctor says he needs to.
    8- See a massage therapist. Great in conjunction with a chiropractor.

Never forget...your doctor, while extraordinarily helpful, is NOT the tome of knowledge on all things health. That's why they created specialties. My doctor would never give my joints or spine an adjustment. He would never give me a massage. If I made him, he might do a pap smear, but seriously. Traditional doctors also have bosses who get paid by hospitals and insurance companies and they want you to use their man-made drugs. NEVER STOP taking your pills without your doctor's okay, but still consider #6. If your doctor approves the addition of a homeopathic remedy to your regimen it could not only help you lose that pill weight but it could also help you eventually get off that medication over time. Note the word "could". Some people just can't ever get off their pharmaceuticals.

Why am I telling you this? I have SLE (Lupus) and I am completely and 100% homeopathically managed, with my MEDICAL doctor's approval. I've only had to steer off the path twice due to some unexpected complications. And in those two cases my homeopath instructed me to go to my physician. When you bring all of these resources together you're taking a holistic approach to your body and with them all you can solve nearly anything.
  • thesiberianwind
    Options
    I have tried PT (two different stints of therapy), and even the entire PT team were on my case to review everything. The best relief they could get me was after 1 hr of treatment involving TENS, heat pack, and very gentle spinal adjustment. The relief lasted only 24 hours.

Chiropracter (two different ones, two different rounds)....made all the pain so much worse. The best the dr.'s are willing to say is that I have bulging discs in T10-T12. Basically, nothing they can do for my back. I don't have as many issues with my back right now, but it's my overall body I'm fighting with.

This year, my husband's company went to a very poor insurance plan that leaves us paying most, if not all, of our medical costs. This makes it so much harder to afford to keep going to the dr. when I don't absolutely have to.

We did add a Vitamin B complex as well as Vitamin D-3 2000 IU. I had to add Vitamin C as well, since I keep catching the low-lying colds/stomach bugs. The flu could run rampant in my house, and I wouldn't catch that. But the slight stomach bug that a friend of a friend of a classmate of a child had....that is what I WILL catch!

*********************************************************************************************

Thank you all for the helpful posts and encouragement. I'm going to (next time I can afford the dr. visit) ask the dr. (the rheumatologist? nope. He's not much help) about prescribing some pain-management-specific water therapy. I may also ask about getting Alli or something like it to help overcome the affects of the other meds. Maybe that will help? Guess I'll have to see.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I have tried PT (two different stints of therapy), and even the entire PT team were on my case to review everything. The best relief they could get me was after 1 hr of treatment involving TENS, heat pack, and very gentle spinal adjustment. The relief lasted only 24 hours.

Chiropracter (two different ones, two different rounds)....made all the pain so much worse. The best the dr.'s are willing to say is that I have bulging discs in T10-T12. Basically, nothing they can do for my back. I don't have as many issues with my back right now, but it's my overall body I'm fighting with.

This year, my husband's company went to a very poor insurance plan that leaves us paying most, if not all, of our medical costs. This makes it so much harder to afford to keep going to the dr. when I don't absolutely have to.

We did add a Vitamin B complex as well as Vitamin D-3 2000 IU. I had to add Vitamin C as well, since I keep catching the low-lying colds/stomach bugs. The flu could run rampant in my house, and I wouldn't catch that. But the slight stomach bug that a friend of a friend of a classmate of a child had....that is what I WILL catch!

*********************************************************************************************

Thank you all for the helpful posts and encouragement. I'm going to (next time I can afford the dr. visit) ask the dr. (the rheumatologist? nope. He's not much help) about prescribing some pain-management-specific water therapy. I may also ask about getting Alli or something like it to help overcome the affects of the other meds. Maybe that will help? Guess I'll have to see.

Hey, I have found that I manage my auto immune disease with anti inflammatory foods. I do notice a major influx in the pain when I eat inflammatory foods. I can can one biggie for me is red meat, major pain associated with that. I just got back from my rhuematoligist this morning and I went off plaquinile. I really think my diet helps.

Pain sucks, I am so sorry. I have been suffering majorly for 18 months now.