Birth Control Question

Options
Recently I switched from Tri-Sprintec to Tri-Previfem. I did great on Tri-Sprintec, but my company uses a mail-order pharmacy now and they don't carry Tri-Sprintec. They say that they are essentially the same medication. However, I have been on the pill for one week now with a rather significant weight gain. About 5lbs. I'm a bit nervous. I had a bad side effect to YAZ in the past but never any weight gain on any of the pills I have taken (YAZ, Ortho Tri-Lo and Tri-Sprintec). Anyone else have similar issues? Did it go away? Should I stick with it a few months and hope that the hormones level out? I don't want to go running to my ObGyn right away demanding a change if others have experienced similar flux at the beginning with an eventual evening out. Honestly, it seems to be a lot of bloating. I look like I am a few months pregnant (which I am not- for sure- just saw ObGyn less than a month ago)! I've increased my water intake, but it's a lot of water.

Replies

• bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't believe them when they say that they're the same thing. For instance, I was taking YAZ for a few years, then they came out with the "generic" version. So, to save money I switched over. However, it made my cry all the time and I was always getting angry at my husband over the littlest things that a normal (normal ME!) would never get upset about. So, when they say they're the same...they're not. I would go with your gut & do what you think you need to do!
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm on ortho tri-lo. I find that since I started watching what I eat it's like I am almost always in that weird period of time right before your period starts. It's like if I miss a single pill or have diarrhea (sorry TMI) I start my period (full) immediately. Usually during this time I do put on a bit of water weight and bloat but it goes away once the period is done. I have noticed I crave salty foods more when this happens and since I've been eating so well that I am less tolerant of the salt and get painfully bloated although I wouldn't say I look pregnant. I am planning to speaking to my doc about it but since it's not causing any other issues and there is no chance I'll get preggo I am not terribly worried.
    I do think you should see a doc in case you are experiencing bad side effects or potentially might get pregnant because what you're on might not be working right.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    see if you can find an actual guide to the hormone types and levels in each one to compare and see if they're actually the same, or just close. if they're a little different, i would give it 3 months - that's the duration most people recommend to try a new medication, esp birth control. if they're the same i would look into possibly other causes (maybe you've been sneaking a couple cookes ;-) or eating too much salt?) and see if you level out.

tl;dr i would give it a little bit more time before deciding to try something new altogether
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    If you are having problems with it, talk to your doctor about finding a different type.

I too am weary of generics... People can tell me all day long they are the same thing... but from personal experience from various drugs, I know this is not totally true.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Give it at least a month. Your weight gain is most likely water retention.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Generic YAZ is the worst. I call it the "crazy maker". Personal experience ;-)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Generics only have to be a certain percentage of the hormone make up of the original pill.

My birth control has stopped being made and I was forced back on to the generic, which does not help with PMDD symptoms. Not happy. Now I need to find a new doctor and a new pill in the next two months.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for longer term/cheaper alternative you could try an IUD. The new ones are pretty safe and have either no or very little hormones depending on which one you get.
  • bgrune131
    Options
    MeanSophieCat...THANK YOU!! I'm so glad that you know what I'm talking about!!!! I'll gladly pay the extra $$$$ to stay off of generics...just too bad of an experience.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've been on Nuvaring for 11 years now.

Birth control pills are so old fashioned and riddled with side effects. (based on my personal experience).

And no accidental kids here.... :)
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I thought it was only me!!! I am on nuva ring now, i was hesitant at first, but I like it.
  • bgrune131
    Options
    Bobtheangryto......I have to warn against IUDs. I got my last January & I'm having it removed this Thursday. The first few months were fine...but then the cramps that I have had every single month since about September have been absolutely the worse & just get worse every month. Like doubled over in pain. I would be cautious when it comes to IUDs. I know everyone is different, but they don't tell you how awful the cramps will be.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Yeah...and it's full of nasty side effects.

11 years in to Neuvaring. No issues. I will say that being on the pill for many years ended up fooling my body into thinking I was nursing (not good--very painful)
  • Onesnap
    Options

I thought it was only me!!! I am on nuva ring now, i was hesitant at first, but I like it.

You made the right decision. Neuvaring since day 1. I can't have kids so it's really important I have a good solution with no side effects. If you're looking to save $$ order it online. :)
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Both medicines you mention are identical. One is just a generic. There might be something in the stabilizers or fillers that is giving you a problem. Otherwise, in terms of active ingredients, they are the same.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Generics only have to be a certain percentage of the hormone make up of the original pill.

My birth control has stopped being made and I was forced back on to the generic, which does not help with PMDD symptoms. Not happy. Now I need to find a new doctor and a new pill in the next two months.

Neuvaring has a low dose hormone. You may want to look into it. No PMS here or other wonky hormones in 11 years.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I don't believe them when they say that they're the same thing.

Ditto. I got switched one time to "the same thing" and tried it for several months, but the new drug absolutely KILLED my libido!! I don't want my birth control to be THAT effective, thank you very much!! It also made me a lot moodier; needless to say, my boyfriend and I were both WAY happier when I switched back to my original pill.
  • GammaKathy
    GammaKathy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Even though the hormones in "generic equivalent" are the same, they can be +/_ a certain percentage in amount. then also the binding agent that holds it into the pill can be a different base chemical. The difference in binding agent can contribute to how the hormones are absorbed and in plain old water retention. I agree that it's more likely "water weight", but it still feels yucky. Bottom line is figure out the $$$$ vs: the other issues.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bobtheangryto......I have to warn against IUDs. I got my last January & I'm having it removed this Thursday. The first few months were fine...but then the cramps that I have had every single month since about September have been absolutely the worse & just get worse every month. Like doubled over in pain. I would be cautious when it comes to IUDs. I know everyone is different, but they don't tell you how awful the cramps will be.

I assume you have the copper one (I do too). The first few months were really bad, but I found it got better after that. I just take 3-4 advil every 6 hours a few days before and during my period and it's fine. I can't take birth control pills because the hormones interact with my medication, so the IUD was the best option. Then I also don't have to worry if I take antibiotics or anything else that interacts with BC.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This may not be helpful at all. But if you felt great on the Tri-Sprintec 28 then you should go back to it. Most local Walmart pharmacies has a prescription plan (cash pay only) for several birth control pills (Sprintec 28 and Tri-Sprintec 28) for $9.00 a month or $27.00 every 3 months. You wouldn't have to use your insurance or go through your companies mail order pharmacy. A lot of my patients due this.

On a side note. It usually takes 3 cycles (3 months) to see if a pill is going to work well for you or not.

Everyone responds to generics differently. It is called a generic because it is formulated differently than the brand name So that may cause you to react or notice a different in pills that other may not have a problem with. Some people do better with the generic form then they do the brand name and vise versa.

Hope that helps.