What are you doing for Lent? (Fun!!)

Options

Replies

• fatblaster2012
    Options
    I think I will give up soda. I have been slowly cutting back, but now I want it out of my diet completely. I am cleaning house today and I have bags of clothing to be donated. I will see what else I can find. I like the idea of doing soemthing to give back.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I was always taught that one shouldn't share what they're giving up so as to avoid 'one up manship' syndrome. As in; "Oh! So and so is giving up THIS, so I'm going to give up THIS which is a MUCH HARDER thing to give up so I can prove that I'm a better, more motivated Christian.'

Hahaha. So I'm not sharing. :P

But I'd be curious to know why people participate in Lent if they don't necessarily practice any other Christian traditions?
  • jessicaheimark
    Options
    Or....you could just answer the question at hand instead of turning it into a hyper PC situation.

I'm giving up alcohol, its empty calories and it messes with how the body metabolizes other sugars. :)
  • invincible_summer
    Options
    I'm agnostic, but was brought up Catholic and went to religious schools, so it's a habit now. Also it's a nice distraction from being single on Valentine's Day!

This year I'm going to give up wheat. Bread (which I eat loads of), pitta bread, wraps etc. That and fizzy drinks, since I have a diet coke or two every day. Maybe artificial sweetener and tea too.

I haven't had alcohol since before New Year, so I'm sticking to that until spring, at least.

Maybe I'll force myself to use the rowing machine or go for a run every day.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up oxygen
  • Bulldogmomma3
    Bulldogmomma3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not a damn thing =)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Oooooo... drive thru is a good choice :)

I think I want to give up fast food. It's not appealing to me anyways so I might as well work on not going there anymore.

I like the idea of spring cleaning and donating things. I still have boxes not unloaded from moving and tons of clothes I need to go through.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm going a little crazy this year. I normally just give up soda, but this year I plan on giving up soda along with fast food, french fries and any form of breaded/fried chicken. We'll see how this goes... I know it will be great for my weight loss if I can make it.

As for the more spiritual side of lent, I plan on taking at least 15-20 minutes each day to have a devotional time. I've really been slacking in that area lately and I want to get spiritually and mentally healthier along with getting physically healthier.

Good luck to everyone! :smile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Holy ****, Lent's next week? That means Fat Tuesday is next week.

I NEED SOME PACZKIS.
  • pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    But I'd be curious to know why people participate in Lent if they don't necessarily practice any other Christian traditions?

Honestly, I have been instilled with this more as a tradition... and I enjoy reflecting during this time. #1 giving up something that is potentially harmful for myself and this time of year seems to keep me motivated to do so and #2 to give back to my community not only at christmas and thanksgiving. Just because I don't go to church doesn't mean I believe in some of the teachings/principles :)
  • betsybruhn
    Options
    For the past several years my husband and I have given up drinking for Lent. Each year we say we will never do it again but then we decide to do it again because it is so difficult.
  • pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    All of you have really great things! It's interesting to see where we are the same being on a weight managment site and where we are different. Good luck to you all! I appreciate your positive remarks.
  • betsybruhn
    Options
    I like your attitude! Improve yourself and the world around you! Namaste!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I think I'll give up jesus for lent
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I NEED SOME PACZKIS.

They have the BEST paczkis like a mile from my work... with ROSE flavored filling. They are fantastic. It is harder to find them in Colorado than in Michigan, but I did it! Hahaha.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i consider practices like lent to be both religious and cultural, and therefor not divisive.

What would it be like if we couldn't talk about christmas cookies, or halloween candy? these things also have religious origins!

Had to say that as a non-religious person who recognizes my cutlural history is inherently linked with catholicism, whether I like it or not!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I think I'll give up jesus for lent

thanks-jesus-for-this-food-de-nada.jpg
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I NEED SOME PACZKIS.

They have the BEST paczkis like a mile from my work... with ROSE flavored filling. They are fantastic. It is harder to find them in Colorado than in Michigan, but I did it! Hahaha.

ROSE? THAT'S AMAZING. DFHFUHFGYYGFDFH
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Due to a recent medical scare I think I may give up Alcohol for lent, as for giving back I think goign through my old clothes is a good idea. I have bags just sitting there that I haven't been through yet...
  • mcg6242
    Options
    I am thinking about giving up Fried Food and Bread! I hope I can stick to it =)