Fitbit FLEX, or Jawbone UP??

Options
I'm trying to decide between these two portable fitness tracking devices. I realize there is a $30 difference in price, but there will also be a wait time for the FLEX. Has anyone used products from either company who can give me some insight and/or advice?

http://www.fitbit.com/home

https://jawbone.com/up?r=awup3&gclid=CLvUo-i6n7UCFeGrPAod6x4A3g#design

Replies

• tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I would like to help but I use Bodymedia. I haven't heard of the Jawbone, but I hear good things about the fitbit.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have and use a fitbit ultra. Love it! If I lost it or it broke I would buy another one without hesitation. Super easy to use, love the dasshboard and it syncs flawlessly with mfp. I have used a jawbone bluetooth hands free headset that is so frustratiing to try and use, that it is no longer used. Can not sync it very easy to anything, even following diretions to a T. I do use a polar F4 when I do things like strength training, cardio, anything other than walking/hiking. If you have any other q's? or want specifics hit me up :)
  • kznovo
    kznovo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP! and I love it. I know I'm not using it to the most of its ability though, as I mainly nly look at my total steps and my sleep pattern. I find syncing it is fairly easy, if you own an iphone/ipad that is. I've had some issues hooking it up straight to my computer- but I also only tried this once as the iphone is super easy. I also like how it fits around the wrist.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Jawbone up is not supposed to be very accurate. Look into the Bodymediafit which is the most accurate. There is also the new Amiigo if you can wait. If you want to get something now, you could always buy something used on eBay and then sell it back on when the new gadget comes out.
  • cgjohnson248
    cgjohnson248 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There was a good review of the Flex in the NYTimes. The Fitbit Flex Improves on Its Rivals http://nyti.ms/V9s01W
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra, but I want the flex. The customer service is outstanding :) that's why I stick with fitbit
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There was a good review of the Flex in the NYTimes. The Fitbit Flex Improves on Its Rivals http://nyti.ms/V9s01W
    Good article. Jawbone would do well to cut its price in half at least until it supports Bluetooth. I'll probably upgrade to the Flex when it is released.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I tried the BodyMedia and didn't like it, couldn't get comfortable with the big armband. I love Fitbit and am anxiously awaiting the Flex although I'm already questioning the accuracy being on the wrist but we'll see.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit ultra. My issues were the website wasn't the best and it wasn't water proof. The flex is water proof so that fixes that. I found it incredibly motivating (for me a little too much, ended up doing too much but that's my nature)

My activity levels increased dramatically whilst using it and I lost a lot of weight. Eventually I changed over to a Ki Fit (body media fit)called Ki in the UK.

It costs a little more than a fitbit and has a monthly £10.88 charge for the site. I find the wealth of information amazing. The website is great. It counts steps but isn't ranking you or giving you a weekly average. It has helped me to be more balanced.

Also my TDEES came out much higher than on the fitbit. Realised I needed to eat more and felt better for it. Over all it depends how you think those numbers would effect you. Would you like being in a leader board? Would an average steps over the week total motivate you? Would it motivate you too much? Or would you just like a more general idea of your TDEE.

Fitbits customer service were great. I had quite a few replaced as I drowned them... So if you go fitbit I'd definitely wait it out for the water proof flex!

Good luck with your decision.

Zara x
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am pretty happy with my Fitbit One and looking into what new features they may be adding to the Flex. I haven't had much problems with using it on cross country trips, but some have complained that it logs in miles or stairs while driving. Hopefully they can have a turn off feature for when we go up escalators, elevators or elevation. It doe measure inclines when walking up hills, but I have no issue with that cause it's still working my glutes :)

It's easy to sync with MFP, and I love the challenges, esp if you get friends involved. I can't tell you how many times I will be a few steps short or floors and here I am trying to reach my minimum daily goal before midnight! It definitely gets you to be more aware and active through the day!
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I had both the Fitbit One and the Bodymedia Core for a time. The Fitbit is good for tracking if your form of exercise is primarily step based. That being said, when wearing both devices and a heart rate monitor the Fitbit proved to be inaccurate even on a treadmill. It under reported my calorie burn by a good 100+ calories. The Bodymedia device and the heart rate monitor caloric burn values were identical. I also found the Fitbit inaccurate in day to day use. It consistently over-estimated my step count by a good 500 steps and under-estimated my calorie count by about 130 cals each day.

Fitbit's inaccuracy was a deal-breaker for me. It's calculations are estimations based on algorithms of the average person in any given height and weight range. Not what I was looking for. I wanted real data, or as close as I could get to it. The Bodymedia devices provide that. Another big plus with the Bodymedia device is the daily TDEE calculation. That's a very helpful bit of information to have. I returned the Fitbit after a week of use. I actually returned the Bodymedia Core device as well and ended up purchasing and keeping the Bodymedia Link device due to the bluetooth capability. Having to remove the Core to sync each time was annoying.
  • Oreonut
    Oreonut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am holding out for the FLEX but sure wish there was an actual release date and not just Spring!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I had both the Fitbit One and the Bodymedia Core for a time. The Fitbit is good for tracking if your form of exercise is primarily step based. That being said, when wearing both devices and a heart rate monitor the Fitbit proved to be inaccurate even on a treadmill. It under reported my calorie burn by a good 100+ calories. The Bodymedia device and the heart rate monitor caloric burn values were identical. I also found the Fitbit inaccurate in day to day use. It consistently over-estimated my step count by a good 500 steps and under-estimated my calorie count by about 130 cals each day.

Fitbit's inaccuracy was a deal-breaker for me. It's calculations are estimations based on algorithms of the average person in any given height and weight range. Not what I was looking for. I wanted real data, or as close as I could get to it. The Bodymedia devices provide that. Another big plus with the Bodymedia device is the daily TDEE calculation. That's a very helpful bit of information to have. I returned the Fitbit after a week of use. I actually returned the Bodymedia Core device as well and ended up purchasing and keeping the Bodymedia Link device due to the bluetooth capability. Having to remove the Core to sync each time was annoying.

You can get the display to link with the Core BMF.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

You can get the display to link with the Core BMF.

I did have the display unit and it helped, but I wanted to see the info linked with MFP and to do that you need to removed the Core device and manually sync it.
  • Oreonut
    Oreonut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am holding out for the FLEX but sure wish there was an actual release date and not just Spring!

The impatient me couldn't wait. Went with the Fitbit One and so far I really like it. What changed my mind is I don't think I will like wearing a thick bracelet when typing and it will get in the way. I read about putting the fitbit on your bra and it works perfect. Combined it with a Polar HRM and Digifit and all seems to be going well. Nice to know I am actually burning the amount that MFP is giving me along with some extra.
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. It is alright. But I found the calorie deficits were not that accurate for me on MFP. I bought a Polar FT-7 hrm and I have gotten more out of that $75 purchase than I ever did with my $99 fitbit. Just more accurate calorie burn calcs imho.
  • slcuthrell
    slcuthrell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have seen on Amazon the Fitbit Flex will be available on May 8, 2013. I'm not sure how reliable this is.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    That being said, when wearing both devices and a heart rate monitor the Fitbit proved to be inaccurate even on a treadmill. It under reported my calorie burn by a good 100+ calories. The Bodymedia device and the heart rate monitor caloric burn values were identical. I also found the Fitbit inaccurate in day to day use. It consistently over-estimated my step count by a good 500 steps and under-estimated my calorie count by about 130 cals each day.

I have used Fitbit since it first came out-had the original, and now have the Ultra. My ultra is working fine so I haven't upgraded to any of the new ones that came out. My experience has been that the fitbit's calorie burn estimates for my workouts has been consistent with what my heart rate monitor has read. I've never had the problems others noted with getting steps while driving. I don't use it to monitor sleep, I already know my sleep sucks, I don't need the fitbit to tell me that. But as far as having a tool to encourage me to stay active and challenge myself to get those extra steps in-it does it's job. And I do love that it syncs with MFP. I still manually enter my workouts though, that I verify with my heart rate monitor.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I had been considering both of those as a replacement to my BodyMedia Fit for a while. But I decided to just stop wearing the BMF (I'd worn it for two solid years) and not get either of the bracelet options.

My main reason was that while the BMF was a little bulkier more "obvious" I never really thought about it. There were times I was even ripping it off my arm because I'd realized that I'd gotten in the shower and it was still on. Working out, sitting around the house, sleeping...it never bothered me.

But I'm one of those people that as soon as I come home from work, I get comfy. And that means taking off my necklace, watch, my wedding ring, and the other ring that I wear. I hate having stuff like that on when I'm in my comfy clothes. And when I work out, the most I ever have is my HRM watch, and even that I'll sometimes take off and set on the machine I'm on.

So the realization that I'd be having to wear a silicone bracelet 24 hours a day to get accurate readings killed both of those products for me. I would hate having it on while cooking, lounging around the house, and especially while sleeping.

If I ever went back to a constant monitoring device I'd probably grab a FitBit One. Because after seeing how badly deformed my left bicep and general upper arm area was after working out and wearing the BMF for two years, I never want to put it back on. The indentation is finally starting to get less noticeable after about three months. :noway:
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Get the fitbit ultra! It's especially good for women bc you can wear it on your bra and no one ever has to see it. I don't like the idea of always having to war a bracelet. I've had mine for over a year and wouldn't go anywhere without it now.