Drinking while Eating

Options
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have a quick question. Is it bad to drink while you eat? In my younger years I was told that it was not good to drink water with my meal, but to wait until I was done because I'd be able to digest my meal better and not gain weight. Is this true? Does any body know what its based on?

Replies

• MadeInDR022
    Options
    Bump
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have a quick question. Is it bad to drink while you eat? In my younger years I was told that it was not good to drink water with my meal, but to wait until I was done because I'd be able to digest my meal better and not gain weight. Is this true? Does any body know what its based on?

Weight change is dictated by energy balance. Given equal energy balance in both situations (drinking during meals vs drinking before or after) there will be no difference.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    possibly - jason ferruggia also recommends not drinking water with meals to improve digestion... though, i feel the difference would be minimal at best
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I remember being told repeatedly during college that if you drank alcohol while eating everything you eat turns straight into belly fat & cellulite since you only burn the alcohol.

True story. :drinker:
  • annabobbleuk
    annabobbleuk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always assumed it was good for the digestive system if you drink water whilst eating?

Although I just found this article...

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-10-30/diet/30433066_1_meals-juices-water
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've always drank water/juice throughout meals, always. More so when I was younger and I was really skinny as a kid!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Sounds like psuedo-science and old wives tales to me.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always drink beer while eating meals.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I always drink while I eat; always have always will. It switched from copious amount of coke to a glass of water per meal, though. It's gotta be like the difference between cold water and room temperature-negligable. in my opinion.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Actually, I've always heard that you should always drink water with your meals because it helps to break down the food faster. Plus, it takes up space in your stomach so you eat less. I don't know how much science is behind it, but I don't think I could get through a meal without something to wash it down.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wine and food are match made in Heaven. :drinker:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    What about foods high in water content? Should we dehydrate cucumber before eating?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    A straw helps, cause you can fit the straw in the corner of your mouth while taking a bite.
  • meldel49
    meldel49 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That is amazing given the fact that you have lost many pounds. What type of beer do you drink? I usually drink and then get the muchies and screw it all up.
  • staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I always drink diet pop or water when I eat because it helps fill me up faster and keeps me full.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I had Lapband surgery and have been told NOT to drink with my meals. It is because if you drink liquids with your meal - it helps flush the food thru your system - therefore you do not feel full as long as if you didn't drink.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I heard that you should drink when you're thirsty. But that might just be an urban legend, so be careful.
  • hickorycutie
    hickorycutie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I always heard if u drink a glass of water before each meal u wont eat as much... but im not much of a water drinker
  • kendunn579
    kendunn579 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    A straw helps, cause you can fit the straw in the corner of your mouth while taking a bite.

Speeds up the whole process. Like it!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink before and after my meal vs with it. I think it's all just personal preference.