Any tips on running on a TM after learning to run outside?

Options
I just got a treadmill this weekend because our weather doesn't allow for much outside running (at least in my opinion!). I've only ever run outside, so are there any tips/tricks to running on a treadmill and being comfortable? As soon as I can, I'm planning in moving outside again....

Replies

• suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I find it more comfortable to run with an incline on a treadmill after running mostly outdoors. I always feel like I'm going to face-plant if I don't.

ETA: But I'm also not the most graceful creature on this planet, either :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Park a fan in front of you. You will be AMAZED at how sweaty your get DURING your run when you don't have the air flowing past you. And give your stride some time to adjust. Do a few short runs to get used to it before knocking out a 3 mile plus run. Once you get over the novelty of the display screen. . .cover it up after you hit your settings. It is horribly distracting. I just got done with a 40 min interval workout on the TM here at work.

I can't wait for Spring to get here. I hope that stupid groundhog was right!!!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    set your incline around 1 to simulate a more realistic run.

Start off slow... I almost fell off the first time I ran on a TM because I wasn't used to keeping a perfectly steady pace.

MOST IMPORTANT!: Don't fart, you can't run away from them.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Cover the timer with a towel! Time flies when I run outside, but not so much on a treadmill...
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    How much of an incline? I remember being told once that if it's at 0% it's the same as going downhill. So I was thinking of putting it up to 1%?
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can't get into running on a treadmill after running outside! A treadmill is too boring for me! I stopped running for the time being and am doing other exercises and picking running up again when the temps are up again and the snow is off the ground! Just my opinion though :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i have heard that if you have the treadmill at an incline, that makes it somewhat more like actually running outdoors in terms of keeping your muscles in shape for it. That's what I'd do.

And whenever the weather permitted, I'd run outside.

WHen I was in upstate NY, I saw ladies out running on the snow. I thought that was awesome. But i admit it, I don't like running in the dark and it gets dark early here in the winter....so part of me wants to say "weather schmeather!" but anothe part of me totally admits that if I had a treadmill in my house, I'd probably run more than i do! LOL!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer tell me at least 2% incline to simulate outdoor running. Personally, I felt like I needed about 3%.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    How much of an incline? I remember being told once that if it's at 0% it's the same as going downhill. So I was thinking of putting it up to 1%?

I heard at least 1%. I'd shoot for something higher tho.
  • suemar74
    Options
    Cover the timer with a towel! Time flies when I run outside, but not so much on a treadmill...

Good one! I have to do this too...and it irks me when I forget the towel and I obsessively stare at the timer the whole run.
  • suemar74
    Options

I like 3 too. I think it's a personal preference though...try various levels to see what you like.
  • Seaduck79
    Seaduck79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had to do the same thing, for weather and other reasons. I've gotten used to it, though I still prefer to run outside.

Big thumbs up to the fan suggestion.
    Having a water bottle and small towel to keep the sweat out of my eyes is easier on a treadmill.
    Hadn't heard the tip on the incline - might try it.
    On a treadmill, you can set up different types of workouts, and the machine enforces your pace. Sometimes we need that. Some even show your progress on a lap track or something.
    I use the time (35-90 minutes) to pray or think, and find that it's easier to kind of get lost in my mind than on a road or sidewalk, where you always have to pay attention.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Luckily this one has a fan built in, so I'm sure I'll be using it. I don't want to use a water bottle though because I don't use one when I run outside, so I don't want to get used to it. Also, it has a TV screen that we can hook up to our Dish system, so I'll be watching DVR'd episodes of Big Bang Theory! :drinker:

I will, however, be covering up the time with a towel. LOVE that suggestion!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Start slow--luckily you're in the privacy of your own home so you don't have to worry about looking dorky, but the downside is that there isn't anyone there to pick you up if you fly off the back.

I usually leave the incline at zero. My outside runs are pretty hilly, so I consider the treadmill my 'easy' (albeit boring) runs. If you are running endurance-type runs then you want to have at least a 1%.

Don't zone out too much while running. Trust me--I did this once and flew off the back, bloodying my shins.

Learn where the emergency stop button is. Or at least learn how to jump off to the sides quickly if needed. Learn how to jump back on while the belt is moving. These skills are priceless.

Don't hold on to the bars/sensors will running.

Now get on there and run!!!