how did you choos your goal weight

Options
Hi I'm a 24 year old 5'3'' female weighing 119 lbs. I'm about 2 lbs away from goal. I'm wondering how everyone picked their goal weight. Is the weight that you had previously and felt good at or is it a the healthy range in the BMI? And for the most part, after you've reached your goal, did you really stop or did you change your goal to a lower one.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I originally picked it the following way-

5 foot- 100 pounds +5 pounds for every inch taller.

So at 5'3 it would be 115 pounds.

I did this, got down to 110, and then worried about body fat percentage as i wasn't happy with how i looked even at my "goal weight".

Once you're that close, that's how i would track. :)
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For me it was my high school weight.

At my last physical my doctor asked me what I weighed in high school. I told him 185 pounds. And he said that is what I should aim for then.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I was at 120lbs a few years ago and felt good there so I made it my goal. I may have to adjust since my muscles were a lot different then due to dancing but I will see how I feel as I lose.
  • Slaci_Jo
    Slaci_Jo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I chose the weight I was when I met my husband.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options

I did this, got down to 110, and then worried about body fat percentage as i wasn't happy with how i looked even at my "goal weight".

Lol you have haruhi suzumiya as your ticker as well. Wow I've never been 110 as an adult. We are of the same height. My goal currently is 117. May bring it down to 115. Are you small frame?
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    For me it was my high school weight.

At my last physical my doctor asked me what I weighed in high school. I told him 185 pounds. And he said that is what I should aim for then.
    [/quote

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? My husband is trying to lose weight as well and we had his goal weight set at 185 lbs for now. He is 5'9"
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    The lowest weight I remember at my full adult height was 180, so I set that.

I'm still far away from that, so when I found out my lean body mass after getting my body fat tested, I was able to calculate what I would weigh at 20% bf if I maintained LBM and that came to 183. I figure that means I'm guessing right, and I'll adjust when I get closer. Still around 80lbs to lose so I figure I'll have to change some things.
  • charever92
    Options
    I chose something probably out of reach, so I have something to work towards. I am aiming to lose 40 pounds, but I would be happy if I lost half of that.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    It's what I weighed before I got pregnant back in 2001.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My former weight 11 years ago....
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yep. :)

I have a small frame.

Lol you have haruhi suzumiya as your ticker as well. Wow I've never been 110 as an adult. We are of the same height. My goal currently is 117. May bring it down to 115. Are you small frame?
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I went with the weight I felt the happiest/most content at... 150. I think back to when I weighed that much and I really wasn't stressed about losing more weight.. I just felt confident and happy.
  • Ashellini
    Ashellini Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I chose my weight based on the last weight I was happy at. 140-145 lbs. I have a long way to go!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I picked it because that was my weight when I was the thinnest as an adult and very happy about myself. However my goals have changed a bit since I'm actually toning rather than just losing weight soo I'm really not so sure what that number should be.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I guessed and now think I'm really going to go 5-10 pounds lighter.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The best I've ever felt about myself was when I got married. I was going between 140-145 then.
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    I chose it based on what i thought would be best for me. Right now i am 5'4.5 at 124 and could deff lose a little more. So i decided if i weighed 110-114. All the areas where i would want to lose weight would be gone if i weighed that!

It is not always based on weight though. Look how you want to, don't just keep losing because you are not at the number you want.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    After looking back at pictures from the past 10-15 years, I picked the weight that I was when the hubbage and I got married. I was between 140 and 145 and looked good...prior to that it was too thin, and since then, too heavy.

We'll see how I feel about it when I get there, but I figure it'll be a while before I'm there.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers a couple of years ago and it picked my goal for me- 145, which is right in the middle of my healthy BMI range. I got there, in fact I'm there now, but I still have some abdominal fat that I'd prefer not to have. lol. I have a small frame so that's why I think 135 will be a better weight for me.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I weighed my goal weight before I got pregnant with my daughter (early 2008). I also was 8lbs away from it on my birthday two years ago so I assume it is possible for me and I looked and felt very healthy at that weight.

That is how I came to my goal :)