how did you choos your goal weight

Options

Replies

• daram05
    Options
    :wink: For me, it was the weight that I was 1) Most comfortable with as an adult, 2) The weight I was prior to adulthood hitting me hard and adding darn near 40lbs onto my little frame and 3) Seemed ideal to me. I reached my ideal weight pre-pregnancy and am now 7-10 lbs from it (I fluctuate). BUT, when I reached it, I wanted another 5lbs off. So, I figure, you'll never really be content with where you think you want to be.

Thanks for the Post!!!
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I went for the lowest weight to be at a healthy (normal) BMI, which also for me turns out to be a size 0. Can't find many closthes smaller than a size zero (very few size 00 out there), and if so I end up in the childrens section. Most difficult part is maintaining the weight once reached. But once you reach 108 at 5'4" every oz shows on the scale. :smile:
  • Bride511
    Options
    I picked my goal weight for two reasons. One, It was where I was in highschool and Two, because I've gotten back to that weight since then and felt amazing at it (I sure looked good too!) I'm at a healthy BMI right now, but it's on the higher side of healthy. My ideal weight is also within my healthy BMI.

I think it's all about looking and feeling good. If you reach your goal and still have room to improve, I say go for it! Good luck, and congratulations on being so close to your goal! :)
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For me it was: 73Kg to be in normal BMI, but I don’t want to be in the border of overweight, so I aimed for the next lower nice round number: 70Kg. That is also what I weighed back when I finished college.

A while later I figured I want to be 15% body fat. At that time I did the math and it turned out that If I’d lost fat only until I got to 15%, I’d also be 70Kg.

It also turns out that weighing 70Kg would put my BMI right in the world average for males in my age group. Just a curious fact, not that It had anything with my choosing it as GW.
  • ainsleynv
    Options
    I mostly based it on what I know I looked like and how healthy I was previously at that weight. I can't use height/age/sex/weight suggestions because they just don't match my body type. When I was 150 lbs I was between a size 4 and 6 depending on the brand. If I tried to get down to the 130 that they would suggest for my height (5 ft 5) people would think something was wrong with me. The last time I remember weighing that little I remember people asking me if I had an eating disorder because I looked so thin. I have set my goal to be 155. I am built with a lot of muscle. When I was 150 lbs people thought I weighed around 125. Even at my current 166-170 people usually guess that I weigh 140-145. If/when I get to that goal I will likely try to get an additional 5-8 lbs off. I just think that it is best to set small goals and then set a new one once you get there. It is a more positive feeling that way.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    A weight I felt and looked good at during various times of my life. The trick is getting there and then staying there!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    This was a really tough decision for me. When I got to college, I weighed 118 lbs...yes, on the super low side. I was completely lean muscle and my body fat was super low. However, I was at this because I was a jumper in high school and this helped me float across the sand pit ;-). I decided that I did not want to even attempt to get back to that...as I am not sure how I could. So, I went with the last healthy weight where I looked good in shorts and no shirt. However, I had a good amount of muscle, so I went with the weight I was before I had added the muscle. So, I want to drop to 160 right now, then hop down to 150, than add 10-15 lbs of muscle to get me between 160 and 165. Not sure this is the best way to go about it...but I haven't heard any really negative comments to this plan.
  • SuShePack
    SuShePack Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and always plateau at 130. No matter how much I lose, I always settle in at 130 after I go off the rigorous diet/exercise plan. At my heaviest I was 140. At my lowest, ever since I can remember, as an adult, I was at 123 but that was 10 years ago and I don't think my metabolism supports that weight at a sustainable pace now. So my current goal is 125, a weight at which I think I can be happy. I also think I can possibly maintain 125 for longer with portion control and consistent exercise.

I started at 135 on January 7 and am current at 129 on February 5.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'9.5". i originally set my goal weight to 180. i estimated that being that weight would get me comfortably into size 8 pants. as i got closer to the goal, i decided to lower it slightly to 175. my goal clothing size is still the same, i just really want to see the 170s.
  • skittles137
    skittles137 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, mine is a goal I feel good at. I'm 5'3" and my BMI states I should be between 110 -140 pounds. However, I've never been that low and even at my healthiest, at a size 5, which I think is perfectly fine, I was 145. I'm very top heavy, not complaining, but they do add a lot of weight, and I just can't realistically be that low. That was also before kids, my body has changed and right now I have made a goal of 165, which will put me in the 8-10 pant size range. I'll make a new goal after that if I need to, but I'm not going to go with BMI since there are many factors that it doesn't account for.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I worked with my doctor, going by their charts and my frame size we decided 270-300 would be a healthy weight for me for my size. If I get down there and can still cut more fat, then we'll worry about that then. right now I'm focusing on losing the last 207 pounds.
  • Lilnewfiegurl13
    Lilnewfiegurl13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    my former weight when i was 18 was 125-135lbs back and forth, and well i quit smoking and went on birth control. and i gained a nice few lbs, put my at my largest to 205lbs :( im now at 178lbs and im still thriving for the 130's or max 140. :) then ill be content, i'm a short person so im overweight and it doesnt look good AT ALL. so i wanna get back to looking good. hopefully by summer <3
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    It was the weight I felt my best at. I have reached it but now it's more about health and toning :)
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used this calculator: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Originally my goal was on the low end of BMI - range (170). Then toward the high end (190). Then I saw a photo of sombeody my height and at 225 and I thought that is about where I wanted to be... When I got there (a 119 lb loss), I felt that FOR NOW, another 10 lbs would bring me closer to the fat percentage I am looking for THEN I will try to gain into the 225 range doing it the right way... It is a moving target for me... So for now, my target is 215 but that is 15 lbs above the high point of my BMI range...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have a large, broad frame and a large chest. I picked the top of the BMI range for my height. I've never been at a healthy weight as an adult. As I am approaching my goal, I'm not sure if I'll change it or not. I may go about 10 lbs. lower, or I may just focus more on building muscle and cutting fat. It will depend on how I look when I get there.
  • soccerme8
    Options
    I was 140 when I got married and was pretty happy at my weight, I have decided 150 b/c my bodies changed a lot since having kids, I am 170 so 20 lbs to go, but I may change my mind when I reach my goal for less, but as of right now I am a size 11 which is what I was when I was 155 so who knows. I want to say definitely that I want to be 150 but like other posts I think sometimes you adjust it once you get to your goal and see how you feel about it and decide if you need to be a little more or a little less.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Interesting! It tells me I can be 10 lbs. heavier (based on my BF and weight last July and my ultimate BF target). That assumes of course that I was able to maintain my lean mass. Maybe I should get my BF tested again sooner than I planned to see how realistic that goal is :-)
  • lizmae83
    lizmae83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I set my goal to lose 30 pounds by age 30. I started at 175 pounds. I had started in my birthday month, giving myself 12 months to lose the 30 pounds. That would be more than I ever loss at one time. However, I reached the goal about 3 months ago. I knew my lowest healthy bmi for my 5'5" pear shape body was 114 pounds. I decided to make 115 pounds my new weight goal. I have loss another 14 pounds since making that goal. I'm only 11 pounds away from reaching my goal. : )

Keep in mind that many things factor in with making the decision I made personally for myself. For one, I am a smaller frame. I'm not too tall to go for a 115 pound weight. I have more muscle than most woman at my current weight, so I may decide to stop earlier than 115 pounds. Being a pear shape....my stomach slimmed down quickly, and it is looking very small in proportion to my hips, which make family and friends worry. However, I'm still loose and need to get tighter in my lower body. So, it depends. What body type are you? How fit are you? You should ask yourself, what size jeans or shirts would I'd like to fit into? I never want to get down to a size 3 because that's just not me nor my body type. I'd be too skinny and underweight. My goal is size 5 jeans/pants and extra small top (Which I already fit). This goal, I feel, is good for my body type.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight I was when I was in college, before I had my kiddos.