Is anyone elses body like this?

Options
So I don't lose a lb. a week it is more like I exercise for about 3-4 weeks with nothing but fluxuating up and back to the correct weight and then at about week 4 I loose about 5 lbs. It is so odd to me. I have been this way since I joined here and started losing.

So my question is, is anyone else like this?

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    well my body's not exactly like that, but i do have the problem of exercising 4 times a week, burning 500 calories each time, and always coming in under my daily calorie goal, and i will go 3 weeks without even losing half of a pound. However, after that time, I don't lose much, I seem to be shedding very slowly about 2lbs a month. But that's okay for me - i put it down to bodies having different schedules/needs/whatever. And I do think my body has about a 3 week delay between what i've done and how it reacts. Completely unscientific, but so long as we ARE losing weight, I think that's what matters.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm sort of like that. I'll go 2-3 weeks losing maybe 1/2-1 pound a week and then I'll have a week where I lose 3-4 pounds. It seems to always average out to about 8-10 pounds a month. And it always seems like the weeks where I feel like I've made no progress are the weeks where I get the most compliments and the most people telling me how it looks like I've lost more weight.

I've convinced myself that the weeks where I don't lose much (or anything) are the weeks where I lose inches and then the drop in weight eventually catches up with how I look.

As long as the pounds keep on coming off and the clothes keep getting bigger, I'm ok with it!
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yep! I think it has to do with hormones and fluid weight. I only record my weight every 3 or 4 weeks or so. Just to discouraging to do other wise. You ain't alone darlin'~:flowerforyou:
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    yes!

took time for my body to get used to such a change.

keep it up things will fall into place!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've lost 22lb since I started tracking and it all came in short bursts despite consistent eating & exercise. My weight would sit still for 3 weeks, then I'd lose almost 2lb / day, 3 days in a row. Then I'd put one back on and lose it again till I settled down to the new weight for a few more weeks, then the same thing. That happened 3 times in 3 months. Now I've been stuck for quite a while, but I think its because I'm a lot fitter than I was and the same routine doesn't work anymore, plus the closer I get to my goal the more I feel entitled to indulge. I've just changed my routine and I can feel the next wave of change coming.
  • marinewifey03
    marinewifey03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've lost 22lb since I started tracking and it all came in short bursts despite consistent eating & exercise. My weight would sit still for 3 weeks, then I'd lose almost 2lb / day, 3 days in a row.

This happened to me as well. I wont loose for a week or two (or loose and gain to where im back at the same weight, even though im eating right/exercising) Then all of a sudden i will loose 2 or 3 lbs daily for a few days in a row. I dont get it but im always happy for the losses :)
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    im so going to start measuring now, the weighing scale has too much control and its too erratic and doesnt correspond to how well youve done!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    The last 10lb is really hard to budge because your body really does not want to get rid of it. We like having a nest egg for the bad times and our bodies are the same in that they need the fat for any bad times. trying to make it give it up is hard work.

I have to constantly change the exercise I do and my calorie intake so my body is always in a state of guessing what I'm going to do instead of knowing what I'm going to do. This works well for me and I haven't plateaued since I did it.

You are so right about the inches. The scales say I've not budged but the inches are still coming off very nicely (In three weeks I've dropped another 2" on my waist when I measured Yay me! :laugh: )
  • debhayes
    debhayes Posts: 14
    Options
    If you are exercising and building lean muscle, muscle weighs more than fat, so the scale wil fluctuate or stagnate from time to time. Change up your exercise routine, mix it up with cardio and strength training. Change the exercises every so often so that your body does not get used to the same thing. Same way with your diet, make sure you get a variety. Don't eat the same thing day in and day out, Balance of proteins, fats, carbs, high fiber whole grains and lots of water!! And watch sodium intake-it can make you retain water weight too! Good luck to you!
  • Being_Healthy
    Being_Healthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am exactly this way (since the very first week approximately 9 months ago)! And I still have PLENTY to lose so I know that it isn't because I'm down to my final hurdle or anything like that. I guess it's just the way my body lets go of the weight its been holding onto for so long.