Muscle weighs more than fat (?!!!)

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    This is why, at Olympic Games level, no afro-carribeans win medals at swimming. Their greater body density means that they sink further into the water an create greater 'drag', so can't reach the speeds of the other swimmers.

NOTE: This isn't 'racist'.... it's a simple matter of human physiology.

no, pointing out the principals of boyancy is not racist

BUT, assuming that all individuals of a certain race are of a certain body type IS.

Plus your argument is rediculous... Phelps is pretty fat free

Is this the same douche that ran this retarded topic last time, or a different one?

^^^ This!
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Insert cartoon gunshot to the face gif here.....
    smiley-killing-himself.gif <--- Like that?

Aw man that is ace! I've been here so long and I still cant work an awesome gif or meme into a post!
    Note to self: do this!!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    This is why, at Olympic Games level, no afro-carribeans win medals at swimming. Their greater body density means that they sink further into the water an create greater 'drag', so can't reach the speeds of the other swimmers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen_Jones

cullen-jones-wins-silver.jpg

1 - thank you Thomas for getting Cullen's pic before i could.

2 - how do you think that essentially saying "black ppl can't swim" is NOT racist?? please, i need this logic explained to me.

3 - i have a high body fat % (this is obvious if you look at the ticker) i can float like a CHAMP, and i'm a decent swimmer (it's something i enjoy doing) but i could never HOPE to keep up w/ olympic level swimmers. your hypothesis is LAUGHABLE.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    tumblr_mbqg5q5V6l1riuh2bo1_400.gif
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member

So. if two people of equal weight (on bathroom scales) were assessed by this method, the person with greater muscle mass would appear to weigh more.....under water..... than the person with a higher proportion of body fat. (Body fat means greater buoyancy).

I see! I bet this is why "They" are so darn good at basketball!
    That clears things up wonderfully!

{for the sarcasm challenged, I'm kidding}
  • By volume is the key here, however given that fact it is still feasible for someone who is undergoing a muscle building training regimen and dieting properly to see the scale move very little as muscle replaces fat. That's why measuring success in inches is better than measuring success in lbs. You are right to say that 1lb of muscle does not weigh more than 1lb of fat. That's like asking which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks? Obviously they both weigh a ton. You'll get no argument from me there. If you managed to gain a lb of muscle (1lb of lean muscle is all that is physiologically possible to gain in a week) and lose a pound of fat per week you would obviously not see a change on the scale (you should see these changes in inches though). It is more realistic that you might gain .5 lb of muscle and lose a pound of fat per week with good dieting and training but on the scale it'd only look like you dropped .5 lbs a week. So you'd lose 1lb every two weeks (painfully slow to some of us).

It is not realistic to step on the scale at home and know how many lbs of muscle you gained and how many lbs of fat you've lost. Just keep working don't stop cause you don't see the scale move a whole lot.
  • Steps on scale after months of 6-a-week workouts & 500 calorie deficits. Has gained 1lb. Is "toight like a tiger". Reasons - well... I have probably lost some fat (say xlbs) and gained some muscle (say ylbs). Interesting... xlbs of fat and ylbs of muscle take up the same volume so I am not "lighter" or even "smaller" but what used to wobble doesn't any more.

I think what people "really" want to say when they say "muscle weighs more than fat" is "I weigh a bit more now... but I wobble less."
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Yeah buddy! Hit that strawman! Make it bleed!!

smh.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Wrong. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle WEIGHS MORE than 1 cubic inch of fat. Period.

You don't weigh yourself by cubic inches.

No. But. a 200 LB person with 15% body fat is smaller than a 200 LB person with 30% body fat.

It's just semantics.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Muscle is denser then fat... therefore, yes they weigh the same thing - a pound is a pound... however, to look at a pound of muscle vs. a pound of fat, the muscle would appear smaller.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    as long as the fat in my bacon looks the same iiiii dont care
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    The worst part about this whole thing is that the OP has been having this same argument since 2010! But the OP is super smart, and knows more than everyone, and doesn't like science, because you weigh yourself on a scale, and when you do that science doesn't count.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    I am a mechanical engineer. Yes, I have a degree and professional experience. This whole argument is irrelevant. It has more to do with proper English than science. Also, people with inferiority complexes like to make these little insignificant arguments to show how they are "awake" and all you dummies are "asleep."

A more accurate statement would be: One cubic inch of fat weighs less than one cubic inch of muscle weighed on properly calibrated scale at the same location and time. Therefore, the density of muscle must be greater than the density of fat.

Notice I added a location and time statement. Haha you dummies! You were asleep and didn't realize that! HA-HA! I am smarter than all of you!

Let me touch myself now!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Well, I have both...so I'm not really sweating it. ;)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

Let me touch myself now!

Pics or it didn't happen.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member

I was with you up until this point. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Athletic swimming has little to nothing to do with the ability to float. :noway: :mad:

Oh yeah, and THIS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen_Jones

"Cullen Andrew Jones (born February 29, 1984) is a U.S. competitive swimmer and Olympic gold medalist who specializes in freestyle sprint events. As part of the American team, he holds the world record in the 4×100-meter freestyle relay (long course). At the 2012 Summer Olympics, he won silver medals in the 4x100-meter freestyle relay and the 50-meter freestyle."

AAAAAnd he's black.

yes, but is he afro-carribean lol
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Bigears_zps71c380ea.gif
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    I am a mechanical engineer. Yes, I have a degree and professional experience. This whole argument is irrelevant. It has more to do with proper English than science. Also, people with inferiority complexes like to make these little insignificant arguments to show how they are "awake" and all you dummies are "asleep."

A more accurate statement would be: One cubic inch of fat weighs less than one cubic inch of muscle weighed on properly calibrated scale at the same location and time. Therefore, the density of muscle must be greater than the density of fat.

Notice I added a location and time statement. Haha you dummies! You were asleep and didn't realize that! HA-HA! I am smarter than all of you!

Let me touch myself now!

lol, thats what i meant to say, especially the english part
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    2103043-oh_look__its_this_thread_again_zps793e73e1.jpg
  • So after reading this... please answer me this... Why do I GAIN weight when I work out, rather than lose it? I have plenty of fat I could be losing?

Not testing your theory... I am actually wanting to know the reason.