It's 3:23...and I'm already out of calories :(

Options
So I had my day planned out pretty well, but then I ended up CRAVING chocolate. So I kept like, deleting stuff from my dinner and adding chocolate to the point where I ate 520 calories worth of chocolate, leaving me 108 cals for dinner -.-. I'll try to make it to the gym, to burn some and eat some back, but is it better to stop eating once I reach my goal or eat a normal dinner and accept the fact that I'd be 300-400ish over?

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Eat a normal dinner. Keep it simple (lean protein and lots of veggies to fill you up), but eat. It will do you no favors to not eat dinner and then be starving tomorrow and overeat then.

Go to the gym, but don't beat yourself up about it. Look at your weekly totals, not just your daily - if you are 50 calories under each day for the rest of the week, you'll make up for the 300 you'll be over today.
  • rrh88
    rrh88 Posts: 8
    Options
    Definitely don't skip a meal. When you do, it slows your metabolism down as it goes into starvation mode. Just eat sensibly for supper.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So I had my day planned out pretty well, but then I ended up CRAVING chocolate. So I kept like, deleting stuff from my dinner and adding chocolate to the point where I ate 520 calories worth of chocolate, leaving me 108 cals for dinner -.-. I'll try to make it to the gym, to burn some and eat some back, but is it better to stop eating once I reach my goal or eat a normal dinner and accept the fact that I'd be 300-400ish over?

The point of exercise isn't to burn calories or "make up for" mistakes. The point of exercise is to repartition the calories you eat toward muscle rather than fat. Eat your post-workout meal as if no mistakes happened - continue dieting tomorrow.

Do not input exercise into MFP for the "calorie burn". Do not assume because you burned "X" calories during your workout that you can eat them. If that is the basis you are working on then you will plateau very quickly and your workouts are cardio-based and very flawed.

Save the chocolate till after a workout rather than during the day.
  • Vaisaxena
    Options
    Definitely don't skip a meal. When you do, it slows your metabolism down as it goes into starvation mode. Just eat sensibly for supper.

False.

See Intermittent fasting.

www.leangains.com
    www.eatstopeat.com
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

The point of exercise isn't to burn calories or "make up for" mistakes. The point of exercise is to repartition the calories you eat toward muscle rather than fat. Eat your post-workout meal as if no mistakes happened - continue dieting tomorrow.

Do not input exercise into MFP for the "calorie burn". Do not assume because you burned "X" calories during your workout that you can eat them. If that is the basis you are working on then you will plateau very quickly and your workouts are cardio-based and very flawed.

There is nothing wrong with exercising to give you the ability to eat more and the way MFP is designed, you are supposed to eat more when you exercise. Now if you set up you account to assume constant exercise, then you wouldn't eat back exercise calories.

Either way, if you compare the same person, the person who exercises needs more calories than the person who doesn't.

OP - it's better to not starve yourself. Also, what is your calorie goal? If you are hungry constantly, you could be too aggressive with your per week weight loss.
  • eatthefreshlettuce
    Options
    Hi there! I have been in the same boat as you before (except I cheated with twisties - a kind of yummy cheese corn snack. Ate the packet.)

I learnt from that experience that you should continue to eat your normal meals, even if it puts you over a bit. Think of the chocolate you ate as 'a spike in metabolism high that will make your body overact to burn that chocolate out of your system.'

Some methods of loosing weight are achieved from IF (intermittent fasting), which seeks to keep up your metabolism so your body does not get regular with your diet and hold on to fat stores. You are allowed a day of over-limit calorie intake, and you are also allowed to under-limit calorie intake some days. It will still save your body from becoming familiar with what its intake is expected to be.

Mostly, if you plan on skipping on eating just to keep your daily allowance under, make sure this is something you have prepared well in advance for the day. But if you happen to have found you have not many more cals left for dinner or snacking, just continue on with your meals and log them, then start tomorrow afresh :)

Albert L
  • Vaisaxena
    Options

There is nothing wrong with exercising to give you the ability to eat more and the way MFP is designed, you are supposed to eat more when you exercise. Now if you set up you account to assume constant exercise, then you wouldn't eat back exercise calories.

Either way, if you compare the same person, the person who exercises needs more calories than the person who doesn't.

OP - it's better to not starve yourself. Also, what is your calorie goal? If you are hungry constantly, you could be too aggressive with your per week weight loss.

It is correct that the person who is exercising needs more calories - sure. But you are on a diet - pick an educated number and stick to it.

With that said - calories "burned" are usualy grossly inaccurate - reading a number off the treadmill/bike etc is bogus. As are watch / heart-rate monitors.

You should eat to support the type of exercise you are doing - if you are focussing on cardio - sure, eat back your calories. But expect to end up with a skinny-fat physique. Focus should be on intense strength training which does not require an extreme calorie expenditure during exercise but has infinitely more benefits over cardio-only exercise.

Cardio is not necessary for fat loss.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Correct, but it sure helps with your cardio-vascular health.
  • bits4226
    bits4226 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would eat anyway... If you can go to the gym or even just go for a walk to make up for the calories then do so. Skipping dinner is gonna put u in trouble not only late tonight but you'll be starving tomorrow!
  • Vaisaxena
    Options

Correct, but it sure helps with your cardio-vascular health.

Incorrect.

Do you think lifting 300lbs off the floor wouldn't effect your cardiovascular health or get your heart beating faster than a 100m sprint ??
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

If you make it to the gym, and let's say you burn 200 calories, that plus the 108 is a decent-sized dinner. I end up in this situation most days myself.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    When I'm facing that kind of craving I ask myself if I want the chocolate more than I want dinner later tonight. The answer is always "no."
  • papidearest
    Options
    I agree. I have daily, weekily and journal goals (16 weeks). My daily goal is under 2000 but my weekly goal is under 14000 and journal goal is to average under 2000, so if I mess up on a day I make it up for the week, and if I go over in a week, I make it up in other weeks that make up the 16 week journal. This gives me a lot of flexibility. But it does take discipline.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Eat a normal dinner. Keep it simple (lean protein and lots of veggies to fill you up), but eat. It will do you no favors to not eat dinner and then be starving tomorrow and overeat then.

Go to the gym, but don't beat yourself up about it. Look at your weekly totals, not just your daily - if you are 50 calories under each day for the rest of the week, you'll make up for the 300 you'll be over today.

^ This +100.
  • psuLemon
    Options

It is correct that the person who is exercising needs more calories - sure. But you are on a diet - pick an educated number and stick to it.

With that said - calories "burned" are usualy grossly inaccurate - reading a number off the treadmill/bike etc is bogus. As are watch / heart-rate monitors.

You should eat to support the type of exercise you are doing - if you are focussing on cardio - sure, eat back your calories. But expect to end up with a skinny-fat physique. Focus should be on intense strength training which does not require an extreme calorie expenditure during exercise but has infinitely more benefits over cardio-only exercise.

What are you even try to argue? yes, machines, HRM and MFP can over estimate your calories but that is why you should eat 50% of them back. Or make a more in tune suggestion and include it in your TDEE or lifestyle like many of us. But regardless if you weight train or do cardio, you still burn calories and your body still requires more calories than a sedentary person. Heck, even if the OP goes to the gym for 30 minutes she can get away with another 200-400 calories based on the intensity. And besides, it's one day, it will not adversely effect her weight loss.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    rF7Qd.gif
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't beat yourself up about it! That's happened to me, not 500 cal of chocolate, lol, but maybe going out to lunch and overindulging and have just a few left over calories. Its basically up to you how you handle it. If you're not that hungry later, maybe just have a fresh green salad with a little canned tuna over it. Or if you are going to be hungry, nothing wrong with doing a 30 min workout to earn those extra calories you need! Or, eat a normal dinner, and just start tomorrow of fresh, a day or two over your limit should not harm too much.
  • Vaisaxena
    Options

What are you even try to argue? yes, machines, HRM and MFP can over estimate your calories but that is why you should eat 50% of them back. Or make a more in tune suggestion and include it in your TDEE or lifestyle like many of us. But regardless if you weight train or do cardio, you still burn calories and your body still requires more calories than a sedentary person. Heck, even if the OP goes to the gym for 30 minutes she can get away with another 200-400 calories based on the intensity. And besides, it's one day, it will not adversely effect her weight loss.

I am not arguing any fact - I am informing that the concept of eating back calories is flawed. Calorie repartitioning is what is important in preventing weight rebound after a diet.

I couldn't care less how many calories one chooses to eat - he/she is not my client.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I am not arguing any fact - I am informing that the concept of eating back calories is flawed. Calorie repartitioning is what is important in preventing weight rebound after a diet.

I couldn't care less how many calories one chooses to eat - he/she is not my client.

I guess its flawed because you dont understand it or agree with the approach because there are thousand of success stories on here that suggest it works. Personally, i prefer using katch mcardle and integrating my calories into the lifestyle multipler but i under stand there is a dozen ways to skin a cat.
  • kaytiecakes
    kaytiecakes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dang ^

Or you could just eat a healthy dinner, forgive yourself for the slip-up, and don't let it happen tomorrow. :flowerforyou: