Overweight Marathoner

Options
Hi! I've been trying to lose weight for a long time, but it was almost impossible (even with running and food tracking) while on fertility meds. It's a miracle I didn't gain any!

We recently decided to put babymaking on hold for several months so wanted to use this break to train for and run my first full marathon. I'm a natural runner so I haven't worried too much about my performance even though I'm about 25ish pounds overweight. I was even hoping to shed most of those pounds while training! Now after reading different forums and articles online, I'm realizing that this might not actually happen.

Considering that I have a decent amount to lose and feel fine in my 4th week of training (with restricting my diet to less than 1300 cals 4 days/wk and about 1700 on the days around my long runs), is there any chance I might lose at least 10lbs?! I'm holding steady at the same weight I was when I started training right now, but I think that's due to my legs' muscle mass increasing since my waistband is getting more loose...

Thanks for your input - even if it's to tell me I'm going to cross that finish line much chubbier than I was hoping!

Replies

• kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi! Yes, it's possible. I was 25 pounds overweight when I trained for and completed my first full marathon. Some months later, as I was staring age 50 in the eye, I decided I wanted to get rid of those 25 pounds. AND run another marathon when I was 50.
    I was able to lose 25 pounds while training for that marathon. For the most part, I did that by adding some body-weight type strength training to my workouts and made sure everything I ate was healthy. Or mostly so, anyway.

I finished my second marathon 35 minutes faster than my first one.

I've since 'found' 15 of those 25 pounds and am trying to re-lose them!
  • gettheledout3372
    gettheledout3372 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your mileage may vary, but as long as you stick to your calorie goal when you don't run, and eat back most of what you burn on running days (especially long runs - you can burn well over a thousand calories on some of your longer runs!), you should be fine, and definitely lose some weight. I went from around 200 pounds (30-35 pounds over goal) when I started training for my first marathon down to about 180 pounds by race day.

The other side of the coin is don't be too worried if you don't lose a lot of weight in training. Like you said, you're building muscle, and you can still have a great race even if you're a bit overweight. I ran my last marathon about 10 pounds heavier than my first, and I finished way faster, just due to better race day management.

If you're on a typical training plan (mine was short run M-T, rest F, long run Sat, rest Sun), it's just as more critical to make sure you're eating enough! Those leg muscles have a lot of recovering to do.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    im overweight still, and training for my first marathon. i dont believe that only skinny people can run, last year i ran my first 5k,10k, 15k, and half marathon. now i can do a half on a saturday morning with no problem. just stay committed and you will do fine.

calorie wise, i highly recommend that you eat more on long run days. Almost every long run day i take long naps and eat a ton more. it doesnt have to be unhealthy.. just get a bunch of food.
  • Joeypox
    Options
    I have learned, from both experience and seeing people at races, races are less about body type/ category and more about mental will, determination and persistent training. If you want to (of course without hurting yourself and medical clearance) and you are determined, you can do this! This is coming from a guy that always sees at LEAST one pregnant one beat me at a race haha (of course she can do that if she is a previous avid running, but still) MAKE MAGIC HAPPEN!!

Good Luck on the Marathon Training and the Future Baby!
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a full right now too and would like to lose about 30lbs in total. But I'm going to focus on inches lost instead of weight lost. I do plan on staying within my calories - while eating back all exercise calories as even a 9 or 10 mile run will burn over 1000 calories.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I never really lost weight while training for my half marathons. I lost inches both times, but I think I lost about four pounds total between the two.

Honestly, it's more important to focus on making sure your body is fed while training for something so intense rather than worrying about weight loss. I started my training with netting 1400 calories and was so tired all the time I ended up bumping my net calories up to 1700 and often still ate a little over that and I finally started feeling better across the board.

And, like I said, I didn't lose weight on the scale, but I lost inches, even while netting upwards of 1800-1900 on a lot of my long run days.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling energy-wise? I've never done full marathons but I've done a couple halves and have always maintained my weight. That being said, I wasn't really eating in a deficit. Just to echo other people who have already posted, just make sure that you are properly nourishing your body, especially for those long runs!

Best of luck!
  • plumblossom28
    plumblossom28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and your stories!!!

I'm feeling tired this week in general, but GREAT when running. I have 10 miles on Saturday so I'm upping my calories tomorrow to about 1800 and will eat over 2,000 that day. I'm down 2lbs now since I posted this so I guess it WILL come off! I'll try to be better about incorporating more strength training - lately I've only done pilates once a week. I'll incorporate Vinyasa yoga (a little bit harder than most yoga classes) two more days a week so I'm getting 3 days of strength in. Think that'll work?

THANKS AGAIN!!! Now I'm much more excited about my training again. :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon 50lbs overweight and had dropped 40 by my second marathon, you can definitely take the weight off while training. Your calories seem kind of low though, I recommend reading Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners, I've been following her recommendations (which actually had me bring up my daily calorie consumption to 2200 calories (1500 net as I burn about 700 or so a day)) and I've lost about 8lbs since the start of the year and have been feeling MUCH stronger/more energetic which is showing in my run times.
  • plumblossom28
    Options
    Oh wow! I'll have to check that out! Thanks.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    So, I totally read that title as "OverNIGHT Marathoner" and thought to myself: No friggen way!!! LOL!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You may want to considering reading the book racing weight. It's full of a lot of great information for losing weight by running. I have a tendency to gain weight while marathon training. Long distance training can lower the metabolism from what I've read. I carefully watch what I eat, and still gain as my thyroid gets messed up from marathon training. It's not from overeating as Im sure I'll be told by some people on here. It's simply the way my body reacts to that type of exercise. Don't be discouraged if you don't lose as much as you may hope to. Your body will still be working very hard and getting in good shape for your heart and lungs.
  • plumblossom28
    Options
    Jennie - HAHAHA!!!! I wish!