Muscle weighs more than fat (?!!!)

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    ........... But what you're ignoring is the burning off of fat and turning that into muscle.

Is that what you meant? Turning fat into muscle?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    hahahahahahahaahahaha.........hahahahahahaha.......hahahahaha....jus tlike to add i weighed 195 at one point and still wore a size 38 pants....now weigh 190 and wear a 34................

Impossible, you weighed yourself with a scale!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    ........... But what you're ignoring is the burning off of fat and turning that into muscle.

Is that what you meant? Turning fat into muscle?

Yahoo_Bang_Head_Emoticon_by_WhiteDragon1983.gif
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It is true that muscle weighs the same as fat. One lb of muscle weighs the same as one lb of fat. The idea or reasoning behind people saying that maybe you are gaining muscle when you are working out but not losing weight is not a complete fallacy. People at relatively healthy weights doing p90x or other types of high intensity exercises gain muscle mass due to muscle hypertrophy and they can be burning fat at the same time. The end result is a change body composition where a person has a lower body fat percentage, leaner figure (due to muscle being more dense and taking less volume with the same weight) while maintaining the same weight.

Source of post: I'm a medical student with training in nutrition, graduated with BS in physiology with teaching experience in exercise physiology, kinesiology and physical training.

Beautifully put!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    hahahahahahahaahahaha.........hahahahahahaha.......hahahahaha....jus tlike to add i weighed 195 at one point and still wore a size 38 pants....now weigh 190 and wear a 34................

i guess this was in response to my comment?

not denying that there are many anecdotes that will make one scratch thier heads. and i think we've all experinced strength gains while lossing fat...

i can say much the same thing, but i'd be deluding myself by thinking i was actually eating at a defecit the entire time.
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    True.

A tape measure is a far better means of assessing fat loss.

Precisely -- because one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat. I think that's the real point here!
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    NOTE: This isn't 'racist'....

Duly noted :huh:

But haven't I heard this before?
    Oh yes! THAT'S what the Ku Klux Klan says--isn't that paraphrased on their website?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    yeah, generally if you feel the need to point out that your not racist, you probably just said something racist lol
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Beat_Dead_Horse_zps57f040fa.jpg
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle WEIGHS MORE than 1 cubic inch of fat. Period.

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat which weighs the same as a pound of feathers and all those weigh the same as a pound of gold. However, they all have different densities so those four substances will take up much different volumes of space.

Wow four comments in and the OP's argument has already been completely destroyed. It would be so funny if it wasn't for the fact the original post is dripping with arrogance and condescension.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Oh please keep going...this is giving me a good ab workout...just from the sheer volume of laughing I am doing.

QFT!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has different feelings about the importance of getting this accurate.

Personally, I agree that saying muscle weighs more than fat does lead to misunderstandings because people just think being at a higher weight automatically means more muscle than a lower weight. It could mean that for a couple of different reasons, but not for the weight factor alone.

Muscle is smaller than fat is a simple way of saying it (since people like simple) that conveys it more accurately.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has different feelings about the importance of getting this accurate.

Respectfully--I think the whole muscle versus fat thing is a red herring. The OP wanted to air personal misconceptions about black athletes. That's the real agenda on the table. He ironically references the effects of societal brainwashing after making the most absurd conclusion--based on what? hatred...I think. And then attempts to rationalize by explaining that he is not a bigot--while remaining hidden under a blank avatar--

How courageous is it --to make those kind of inflammatory assertions under cover?
    Even the KKK have taken off the hoods.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Respectfully--I think the whole muscle versus fat thing is a red herring. The OP wanted to air personal misconceptions about black athletes. That's the real agenda on the table. He ironically references the effects of societal brainwashing after making the most absurd conclusion--based on what? hatred...I think. And then attempts to rationalize by explaining that he is not a bigot--while remaining hidden under a blank avatar--

How courageous is it --to make those kind of inflammatory assertions under cover?

tumblr_maj2xx9kfX1qgtqkfo1_1280.jpg
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It is not ALL about the number on the scale...I may weigh more but because I have more muscle I will look as if I weigh less. The scale is not the only source of truth! :)
  • debdelilah
    Options
    This topic comes up often.

Of all the myths and misunderstandings about exercise and weight loss , this is the daftest and most stupid of all!

One pound of muscle = one pound of fat.
    One kilogram of muscle = one kilogram of fat.

The amateur (professionally unqualified and self-proclaimed) 'experts' then say.....
    "Yes, but muscle is denser than..... fat by volume". True.

But since when do bathroom scales measure humans by 'density' and 'volume'?

The truth originally comes from a laboratory-based method of assessing body composition called 'hydrostatic weighing'.
    A person to be assessed would be immersed in a water tank, suspended in a cradle' and then weighed. The displacement of water would also be assessed. Scientific calculations would then determine the person's body composition.

So. if two people of equal weight (on bathroom scales) were assessed by this method, the person with greater muscle mass would appear to weigh more.....under water..... than the person with a higher proportion of body fat. (Body fat means greater buoyancy).

It isn't daft or stupid to compare the weight of two different items by volume...in fact, it's something we do by default in all our measurements. It's why we can say that a feather is light and a brick is heavy. Think about all the times we talk about any measurement - body weight for instance. If you told me you weighed 200 lbs, and that another person also weighed 200 lbs, then I could accurately conclude that 200 lbs = 200 lbs, but saying that would not tell you anything you didn't already know. You already know that a lb is a lb, just like an inch is an inch. Saying that something is itself does not inform us. It's by comparing weight in terms of another specified quantity being measured - like inches of height, or cubic inches of volume - that the definition has meaning.
    People who exercise intensely and tear their muscles will retain water as the body repairs the tissue. They are not gaining muscle mass right away - that takes a very long time, and is impossible for most people under a calorie deficit. But they are retaining water, which also has weight. Many will notice that a great deal of weight comes off after a single rest day and even more after two rest days if they have been eating right. Note - exercise is important to retain muscle mass when you lose weight - you will end up losing muscle as you lose weight if you don't do resistance exercise. It's not all about the scale..., just about health and body composition.
    It isn't a myth that x cubic inches of muscle weighs more than x cubic inches fat any more than it's a myth that someone who weighs 200 lbs at 6'4 has a healthier BMI than someone who weighs the same at 5'3. Cubic inches on the one hand, inches on the other, but the same concept - it's the concept of weight as compared through a given quantity of inches.
    So if two people who both started to lose weight with 35% body fat both ended up at the same goal weight, and one did strength training while the other lost weight without exercise, one might have 22% body fat and the other might have 29% - because exercise helps retain the muscle mass you have, and a person who has more muscle will have less fat than another person all other factors being the same(age, weight, gender, height). Because muscle takes up less space than fat per lb, the two people otherwise identical and at the same height and weight would not be the same size - the one who did exercise would be smaller.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I am a mechanical engineer. Yes, I have a degree and professional experience. This whole argument is irrelevant. It has more to do with proper English than science. Also, people with inferiority complexes like to make these little insignificant arguments to show how they are "awake" and all you dummies are "asleep."

A more accurate statement would be: One cubic inch of fat weighs less than one cubic inch of muscle weighed on properly calibrated scale at the same location and time. Therefore, the density of muscle must be greater than the density of fat.

Notice I added a location and time statement. Haha you dummies! You were asleep and didn't realize that! HA-HA! I am smarter than all of you!

Let me touch myself now!

lol, thats what i meant to say, especially the english part

forgot temperature and atm (cough cough)

DAMMIT!!! You ruined the mood! I'll never finish now!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Oh, I didn't read the Op or the comments. I just read the title and figured it was the same old same old.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This topic comes up often.

Of all the myths and misunderstandings about exercise and weight loss , this is the daftest and most stupid of all!

One pound of muscle = one pound of fat.
    One kilogram of muscle = one kilogram of fat.
    Yep. Comes out of left field every so often. I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhogs Day so your timing is excellent.
  • lornaloo3
    Options
    7984112b8edb04f244723bcbd1ef4fba.jpg