Afraid to gain weight eating 1200cals or more

Options
Hi So I've been here about a week, clearly I was eating too low cals maybe thats why I was gaining and gaining. I keep reading and trying to understand that I need the cals for my metabolism to work and burn the fat. i get it. So Why am i so afraid I'm going to gain more with all this food.. Can any of you reassure me that this wont happen? I work out 4 days a week burning 500/600 cals thanks

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    you just have to do it to see for yourself.

eat above your BMR and below your TDEE and you will lose weight and not have adverse health affects.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's true you have to eat to lose weight sounds wrong but if you starve your body stores fat, I eat around 2000 cals a day sometime more sometimes less although less isn't very often and my weight has stayed the same for about 4 months x
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Its just number game - the less deficit you have you'll just lose weight slower but its more maintainable.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

eat above your BMR and below your TDEE and you will lose weight and not have adverse health affects.

This ^^^

Commit to it for 4-6 weeks (because VLCD's damage your body's ability to process stuff correctly and you need time to repair) and see what results you get. It worked wonders for me!
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

this.

I really doubt most folks who claim to be eating less than 1200 are actually doing so. I know how hard it is for me to stay between 1600-1800, and I have been losing just fine. The thought of 1200 a day makes my head literally spin.
  • ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    know first hand how scary it is to up your calorie intake....I did it last Friday. I was eating between 800-1000 calories a day and working out 4-6 times a week, burning between 400-800 calories.....and guess what I stalled my weight loss. I now eat 1500 calories a day and have not gained an ounce so far, and as a matter of fact the scale finally went down a pound this week, I know it is scary but do it now and save yourself a whole bunch of headaches later
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Youd be surprised... you actually feel kinda high when you're starving and it can become addicting... granted you have no energy etc but the euphoria is real... and unhealthy...

this.

I really doubt most folks who claim to be eating less than 1200 are actually doing so. I know how hard it is for me to stay between 1600-1800, and I have been losing just fine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    starvinkevin, that is one of the most irresponsible things I've read on here in a long time.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Haha I just stated a fact from personal experience... It's not advice DON'T STARVE...
    starvinkevin, that is one of the most irresponsible things I've read on here in a long time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    1800+ calories a day. I'm already at 1145 for today, and I haven't had dinner yet. :bigsmile:

Seriously, the person who posted about eating between your BMR and your TDEE is right. I've been doing that for almost a year with wonderful success. Even through the holidays - I ate all the foodz and enjoyed all my favorite treats (without going crazy of course) and didn't gain ANY weight during that time. I've been steadily losing fat and inches while eating at this level, and am 1/2 pound away from goal weight - which I honestly don't care much about anymore because the fat and inches lost is way better than the number on the scale!

Food is fuel! :drinker:
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3,000 cals a day and don't gain weight..... just eat more and see what happens
  • halffullpgh
    halffullpgh Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I am only on week two of doing this and I can already see a change in my body.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    You burn mega calories! You need to b eating WAY more than 1200. If you do gain, it won't be fat. It will only b temporary & be from actually having more food in your belly (because food has weight). It will b alright. I eat 15-1600 cals.
    Find your BMR & TDEE, like others have mentioned & eat between them.
    You could search the forums for dan's in place of a road map post. It should help you a lot. I don't have the link for you it, but mayb someone else can give it.
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 or less net for the last 3 months and tons of cardio. Lost 7lbs and stalled. I upped my cals to 1500 last week and started eating 6 CLEAN meals a day and lifting heavy. I'd better see results! I feel so much better by cleaning up my diet and am trying to be patient to let my body respond. Giving myself a good month. I wouldn't be able to up my calories if I wasn't eating clean. I'd be too scared too. I tried that and I actually did gain weight :ohwell:
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    <
    1800+ calories a day. I'm already at 1145 for today, and I haven't had dinner yet. :bigsmile:

Seriously, the person who posted about eating between your BMR and your TDEE is right. I've been doing that for almost a year with wonderful success. Even through the holidays - I ate all the foodz and enjoyed all my favorite treats (without going crazy of course) and didn't gain ANY weight during that time. I've been steadily losing fat and inches while eating at this level, and am 1/2 pound away from goal weight - which I honestly don't care much about anymore because the fat and inches lost is way better than the number on the scale!

Food is fuel! :drinker:

Totally agree, food is fuel, your brain,heart,lungs and every other body organ needs it
  • tadlana
    tadlana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice, I was eating salads and fruit mostly and I really didnt feel starved, maybe that explains my exhaustion !! ah ha moment?? I am trying hard to increase with good choices. I'm hoping to be successful, i hope I hope :blushing:
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

^^^
    This is dead on. Look up some of the eat more weigh less threads. Educate yourself on the types of calories that are best for you. Get plenty of water. A minimum of 8-8 oz cups up to 1/2 ounce for every pound of body weight.

I too am one who lost at 1200, plateaued, educated myself and then upped my calories to 1500. Definitely helped me get back on track. Good luck!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    What I find is that although the endocrinological adaptations prove too stressful, it's usually the psychological damage that makes assuming significant deficits unadvisable.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    It's obvious that you're not exercising. Eating more is just going to make you gain weight. If you want to eat more to lose weight, you have to exercise. The notion that only eating more will fix your problems is very misleading and can lead to real problems such as diabetes or heart diseases. If you want to eat more to lose weight then you have to exercise. Below is a quote from a Registered dietitian that frequents these forums.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    In her last sentence, she states she does exercise.
    It's obvious that you're not exercising. Eating more is just going to make you gain weight. If you want to eat more to lose weight, you have to exercise. The notion that only eating more will fix your problems is very misleading and can lead to real problems such as diabetes or heart diseases. If you want to eat more to lose weight then you have to exercise. Below is a quote from a Registered dietitian that frequents these forums.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.