How can I go out to eat, but still lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It's actually quite simple. Track before you go.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Unless you're going out 3 or 4 days per week, don't worry about it. Make a choice that you can live with and enjoy your meal out. None of us got fat from one large meal per week. Make your best calorie guess and move on. Losing weight doesn't have to be stressful

This!! I have a planned meal out once a week (some weeks we will do 2 meals out), we go there and the rules are I can have whatever I want off the menu, but it has to be eaten there and nothing is brought home. So we do an appetizer, main meal, and dessert.... This has work pretty well for me so far... Best of Luck....
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    try and log it the best you can based on the ingredients or type of dish.
    as others mentioned, ask for a to go box when the meal comes out and take half home, many places the portions are way larger than they need to be.
    skip anything fried, heavy in cream or thick sauces, super cheesy etc or ask for lighter amount. go for baked or steamed options. or if you know you will be going out to eat try and get some more exercise in, as long as your numbers are good for the week it shouldn't be a problem. i personally hate going out to eat because i don't know what's in my food or how they prepared it, but if i do i try to log it the best i can.
    or you can bring a food scale with you.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Just order really simple food that you know the ingredients to and eat a normal portion.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much. Do the best you can. You know what is good for you - veggies, fish, salads, skip sauces, etc. - whatever works for you. If you want something that you know is bad for you - eat half and save/throw away the rest.

The point is, it doesn't matter as much whether you accidentally order something with too many calories one time - the goal should be to make smart choices consistently , and in the long run one or two meals won't matter either way.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I have experimented many times on how many calories make me feel full, stuffed and about to barf ! lol has no one else done this?
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Know before you go - research beforehand so you're armed with knowledge, or make educated decisions about what you're eating. Ask for veggies to be cooked without extra butter/ oil. Stay away from deep fried. Order salads without cheese, croutons, fried strips. Dressing on the side. Order healthy fats on your sandwiches like avocado instead of mayo. If whole grain is an option, choose it. It's not too difficult, you control what you eat. Not the menu.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to eat out EVERY night!!! So I do like all the others have suggested. I do research before I go. It's not the best thing to do believe me. I eat a lot of grilled pork chops and chicken. Salad. I even have found some good pizza. Old Chicago makes a good thin crust . Hubbie doesn't like it but I ask them to special make me things. My sodium is over a lot of times but I stay on a 1300 calorie diet set by a dietician for my diabetes.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ask for dressings and sauces on the side. That way you have a bit of control of things that can rack up the calorie count. Also, check out the restaurant's website if they have one. Some have very extensive nutritional information provided
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I always stick with a grilled/baked/blackened fish, no sauces, nothing creamy. Ask for it served on veggies if it doesn't come this way already. Still delicious, and pretty safe. I do have cheat days though, and 'pre-burn' some calories to spend later.

My boyfriend and I often split entrees and still have leftovers. Restaurant portions are so huge! Don't eat more than half of whatever it is.
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ask for things to be prepared in a "leaner" version. I saw something like that on biggest loser one time. Get the grilled chicken instead of the fried, sauces and dressing on the side, etc.

When I add something to my diary and can't find it anywhere on a restaurants website or something I always look at different ones in the database pick one on the higher end and add 100-200 calories extra per meal. That way I am safe :smile:

But sometimes I just enjoy myself without over doing it too much :wink:
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    the fine art of calorie estimation

110%!
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Order simple things. Estimate.
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Applebee's has a menu for under 550 calories. Their shrimp dishes are really good, and i've been able to find the nutrition facts of everything on their menu, online.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    We go out once a week and can eat whatever we want. We plan for it, eat a very light meal early on and then hit the gym, before having a mid-afternoon or evening meal on the town. It's usually a Saturday because we sleep in so our breakfast is usually around lunchtime. :D Then a light snack or something in the later evening if we're still awake!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    In most restaurants, there isn't any information on the calories or fat in the meal you're ordering. How can you keep track of the fat, protein, and calories you take in?

then start going to places WITH nutrition info online
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    Choose items from the menu that you know are balanced and would not be overdoing it. Salads, baked potato, maybe a steamed vegetable platter. You can always improvise. Get the burger not the fries. Don't eat the bread. Get the steak, don't eat the rice that comes with it. Drink the free water instead of getting soda. Get a grilled fish dish. You can still have control over it. But then there is also something called, enjoying your day for a day and being on vacation from your diet. Nothing wrong with that either. Just remember to get back on track immediately after.

Anyway, hope that helped.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yes, order SIMPLE things.. avoid sauces/dressings - order them on the side!
    And the more you weigh food, the better you get at being able to estimate portions with your eyes!
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I usually plan my day around special occasions/eating out at restaurants....I usually skip breakfast and/or lunch, or eat really light (ex: apple) so I can pig out at dinner and not have to worry.

I know there are some food Nazi(s) who would disapprove, but this is just what I do.

Just find what works best for you to balance out your day. :-)
  • DaniAni19
    DaniAni19 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I always start with a big salad, no cheese, just veggies. I usually smuggle my own dressing in my purse in a tiny glass container. I stick with water. Then I eat a large side of veggies and then a main course. I'm vegetarian, so there are usually only a couple of options for me anyway. I think filling up on a salad and veggies first makes it easier to not eat the whole entree.