Anyone ever done Weight Watchers?

Options
If so, how do you find this in comparison? Are you losing weight as quickly as you did on WW or are you finding that you aren't losing as much as you did when you were on WW?

Replies

• beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It's just like MFP... only not free.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I actually cancelled WW once I started MFP. I figure, why do that when I can do this for free? Plus, I'm losing weight on MFP. On WW, I actually ended up gaining. I like this.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Did it but too expensive and the meetings seemed "weird" to me. I like this better. And it's free. And it's fun on here. And you can find just about anything to track your calories.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I find this to be better. With WW I was constantly reminded I was on a diet. With MFP, I feel like it is a lifestyle change and there is some emphasis on fitness. I also found the new Power POints hard to adapt to since I had started under the old plan. I rate MFP above WW, Nutrisystmes, Atkins... all that I have tried. I feel this is truly the program for me.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I went to WW on and off for 20 years and never felt like I really had support from others there. Totally opposite to MFP. This place is great and you learn lots about health and fitness and yes free is good too.
  • robert_gonzalez
    robert_gonzalez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers in 2002. In 10 months I lost 107 pounds, in part because of the weigh-ins. It helped keep me accountable to not only myself but the group of people I was weighing in with every week. Not gonna lie, it was expensive and, to be really honest, most of the principles they teach can be found right here or on other health and fitness sites. No, there is no magic formula that competes with their points plan, but if you spend any time at all looking over it (if they even still use it) you can see that their entire plan is build around specific rations of calories, fats, sugars, carbohydrates and proteins. Do you need it to successfully lose weight? No. Will it help you? Yes. Are there other, free, resources that will do the same thing? Absolutely.
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am currently on WW360 right now, the online program. It's much like this, I prefer the MFP community though. The main difference I have seen is that you can eat as many fruits and veggies as you want and almost none of them are any points. I like that better, but for the most part I prefer MFP. It gets kinda old tracking on two different websites and once my three month membership is over, I will be canceling. I do believe it will work though.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I did WW a couple of times. Never worked for me. I never knew how many points were in something. Too hard to keep track of. Meetings were lame and full of seniors. Not that I have anything against seniors persay, just that I was in my 20's at the time, and I felt very out of place. Counting calories just makes sense to me. WAAY more success on this program than anything else.
  • Luv2h1k3
    Luv2h1k3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've done Weight Watchers both on-line and the meetings. I find MFP much easier and I'm having better results than I did with WW. May just be that I'm finally really dedicated or may be that I just really prefer MFP. You need to just find what works best for you. I have friends that swear by WW and have done really well. Just visit the "Success Stories" thread and see how many people have been successful with MFP. Like I said, personal preference. Either way...best of luck.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I was an Online Member of WW for ages and I recently quit and joined MFP.

Mainly because MFP is the same thing (eating a certain amount of "points" a day is the same as eating a certain number of calories, you still need to make good decisions about what that number is made up of) and because the Australian WW boards are BORING!!

As an Online member, I go to the boards for support and while the people who are on there are lovely and helpful, the boards are so quiet, you'd be lucky to get 5 new topics a day, and the actual forum set-up is crap.
  • guardian741
    Options
    The two are very similar. Though, I think I lean slightly more towards WW for being "more effective". It DOES offer the meetings that are intentionally upbeat. - If that kind of thing helps you.

I think the biggest advantage, though, is seeing the impact on the foods you eat. For example when using FCD, you contemplate adding a food that has 410 calories and 14gs of fat. Given that you get - say - 2000 cals a day, this item doesn't seem like that much.
    However, on WW, because of the fat content, this item would be right around 10 "points" (you usually get between 25-34, depending on weight, height, gender, etc.). 10 "points" is nearly HALF of your "daily allowance". That perspective gears you towards something with a slightly lower fat-count.

Anyway, paraphrased version: FCD is better for getting the overall picture of your nuitrition, WW is better for "conditioning" yourself towards choosing healthier foods.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Ive found that with MFP i have learnt a lot about food, what i should and shouldn't be eating-what foods have what in them etc (protein, fats etc etc). i personally didnt find that WW taught me any of that. i did loose weight but it got to the point when i lost interest and stopped loosing

id be like hey filet o fish from maccas is only 6 points ill just live off those!:embarassed:
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you like to know why your losing or gaining then MFP gives you the info....as long as your honest with yourself. WW actually changed their program years ago to slow peoples weight loss. Wife lost 15lbs incredibly fast before we got married years ago and recently signed up with the new WW program....not even close to what it used to be ...It's all about money to them. Best to save the money and put it towards a good heart rate monitor or calorie counter (like fitbit or something similar). Best of luck.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I did WW four yrs ago and lost the 30 lbs I wanted to. Hv regained 8 and found this free site. I like the support on mfp and knowing what actual food calorie counts are vs just "points".
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I did WW 3 different times ALL 3 times I got to 20lbs and stalled. One time I stalled for 3 months and then I quit; it was too expensive to stay in it and not lose. This I am losing my only stall was for 3 weeks during the holidays, so I feel like I am still succeeding.Also like someone else said this is more like a lifestyle change and NOT a diet.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers in 2007 after a second ankle surgery and the birth of a child. I did the core program which is pretty different from MFP. It involves no tracking. There is a set ideology (no bread, lean meats instead of fatty, any fruits and veggies, etc...) instead of calories. I had great success. I lost the 50 lbs I really wanted to lose in about 6 months and then I quit going (not as much on purpose as I just stopped caring as much). I really liked it. My weight loss was about the same pace as when I was tracking on a different app and when I started tracking here. I track my calories here but use the same principles (plus IF) as when I was doing the core program.

I like this because it's free.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    I did WW for a short time online. I need more structure. I use MFP to log, but I have a fitorbit.com account and a trainer sets up a workout plan and meal plan for me every week. I love that more and it's the structure I need to stay on track.
  • soniadavisbey
    soniadavisbey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'VE DONE WW...BUT I LOVE THIS WAY...WW AND MFP ARE DAMN NEAR THE SAME THING...EXCEPT THIS IS FREE AND BETTER
  • SammieAus
    SammieAus Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did WW 5 years ago and lost 40 pounds. It worked for me. I think the weekly weigh-ins and the meetings (i found a very i interactive and fun group) helped keep me accountable. I had fun! As soon as I stopped going to the meetings and stopped tracking I gained the weight back :grumble: .
    I just joined MFP last week and I enjoy it so far. I'm keeping busy on the message boards and joining groups for motivation. So far so good. I like how MFP takes into account your exercise and your calorie goal for the day. Just like activity points with WW.
  • DebsDav
    Options
    I am on ww and tracking on here, I like both but need the structure of ww to stay on track and do the weekly weighins