"Why it is Hard For Obese People To Lose Weight..."

Options
After reading all the success stories in MFP one could be excused for thinking it can't be that hard to lose weight. But, for those of us that have tried, we know how tough it can be.

The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (one of Australia's largest autonomous medical research institutions) put out a media release today reporting they have "pinpointed the exact brain circuitry" that makes it so hard for us to lose weight quickly.

A news report of the findings can be read here: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/why-obese-people-dont-lose-much-weight-when-they-diet-20130206-2dxd6.html
The Institutes media release can be read here: http://www.garvan.org.au/news-events/news/the-brain-circuit-that-makes-it-hard-for-obese-people-to-lose-weight.html

Bottom line.... "Professor Herzog said it was important to note that the study showed that fad diets simply did not work.
- Weight loss needs to be done over a long period of time and that's what people underestimate," Fast weight loss is not enduring.

Of course we all knew that but now we know exactly what causes this and can understand the importance of not losing weight too quickly. So this brings up the obvious questions. How fast/slow should we lose weight to make it enduring? Now that they know what to target, how soon before drugs are developed to control the effects of "this NPY circuit" - for those that need them? This could replace gastroplasty (stomach stapling).

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Strange, I just read something recently claiming to debunk that 'you have to lose it slow to keep it off' theory. Then again the study it was based off of seemed to involve some kind of liquid low calorie diet so maybe it's the one that is wrong.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    For me personally, it's because I love stuffing my fat face with big macs, pizza and liquor.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When morbidly obese its hard because its simply just a long, hard road ahead. I will never forget thinking..."holy crap i have to lose 100 kilos/220 pounds" and you are filled with self doubt that you can do that...its such a imaginable mountain that you need to climb. I have lost 82 kilos/182 pounds so far....and I did it very slowly....took me over 6 years so far and will prolly be over 7 years by the time I reach goal. But it is honestly the best thing I have ever done :)
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I did not read the links you posted. So, I will only speak for myself.

I gained 90 pounds over the course of 20 years. I wanted the weight off in ONE day. Once I came to the realization that it would take ALOT longer than that, I had the issue licked.

I took my time, worked hard, changed my lifestyle and within a year, I was back at my High School weight.
  • baxterl14
    Options
    One of my college professors did research on this for a few years, many people believe that there is a genetic predisposition to becoming overweight due to a hormonal issue between the stomach and the brain. Simplified there are two hormones, let's call them the "hungry" and "satisfied" hormones, that are responsible fore when we start and stop eating. It's been found that in some people the "satisfied" hormone either is not released by the body in large quantities, or it is interfered with on the way to the brain to suppress the "hungry" hormone.
    Obviously, this isn't what some people may call an excuse to be fat, but it is definitely something that can inhibit weight loss.
    Just food for thought from a friendly biologist.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My question would be how you get to be 100's of pounds overweight without having any concern about it in the first place. It's not like you wake up one morning and you're obese. Is there not a point where you're getting a bit overweight that you notice and think "Wow, I need to lose a few pounds"? It always amazes me how people can go so off the rails that they are morbidly obese and seem to have no clue how that happened, like it snuck up on you.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My question would be how you get to be 100's of pounds overweight without having any concern about it in the first place. It's not like you wake up one morning and you're obese. Is there not a point where you're getting a bit overweight that you notice and think "Wow, I need to lose a few pounds"? It always amazes me how people can go so off the rails that they are morbidly obese and seem to have no clue how that happened, like it snuck up on you.

Agreed
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

yeah, it confuses me too. i got to 140 pounds and had an oh ****, i'm 5 pounds from being overweight and better lose it now moment. but i figure that everyone is different, especially people who have been overweight their entire life and that's all they know. i was skinny until i hit my mid 30's, so i can't really relate to that.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well, here is a natural gut bateria that we pretty much all have that helps us to digest fat that we eat. Those of us that have fed the shtick out of these specific bacteria have much more of the bacteria living inside of us, making fat a lot easier for our bodies to store. As we lose weight, these bacteria eventually go back to normal sized colonies, and that is no longer an issue. So that is a minor factor that makes it harder to lose weight than it seems it should.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

I think for the most part people know. I mean 100 pounds over 10 years is only 10 pounds a year. That is only a size a year. After a certain point you know you're fat but you see the same person in the mirror. Just like when you lose the weight, you don't think you look smaller because you just see you. "Sneak up" is a bad term because obviously it doesn't, but you just don't think about it until one day you see a picture and don't even recognize yourself
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options

I think for the most part people know. I mean 100 pounds over 10 years is only 10 pounds a year. That is only a size a year. After a certain point you know you're fat but you see the same person in the mirror. Just like when you lose the weight, you don't think you look smaller because you just see you. "Sneak up" is a bad term because obviously it doesn't, but you just don't think about it until one day you see a picture and don't even recognize yourself
    This!
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Simple. Imagine becoming severely depressed and turning to food as the one thing that provides a bit of relief (and as we now know there is a biochemical process at work for this that is very real). Inherent to depression is a general paralysis about life - sometimes even getting out of bed is too much, as one feels so emotionally awful they wish they weren't even awake. Paradoxically, the one thing that provides relief soon adds to the depression as weight mounts, but one knows no other way to feel better and keeps going.

While it may not have "snuck" up on them, emotional obstacles can prevent people from reacting healthily to adversity.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's going to vary from person to person. No two people are wired exactly the same, though some will obviously be closer than others.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

yeah, it confuses me too. i got to 140 pounds and had an oh ****, i'm 5 pounds from being overweight and better lose it now moment. but i figure that everyone is different, especially people who have been overweight their entire life and that's all they know. i was skinny until i hit my mid 30's, so i can't really relate to that.

I was always a bit bigger and quit weighing myself my senior year of high school (read: my last sports physical). After that, I never thought about it. I guess because I knew I was bigger, I didn't want to deal so I just never stepped on a scale. After I grew out of my jeans, I bought a lot of sweats, stretchy banded pants and cotton shorts. It let my waist expand without my clothes getting tight on me.
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!:smile:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I love food. I love eating unhealthy amounts of unhealthy food. I love eating until I'm sick and then eating some more. That's why I got fat and that's why it's hard for me to lose weight. When I control my eating I can lose weight just fine.
  • cheryldarrough65
    Options
    my problem is i love food and so it is very tough exspecially when you live with ppl who eat the worst food ever and your trying to cont your calories its very tough i mean i try to think of ways to eat healthier and there eating fatening *kitten* food right in front of me
  • catmar513
    catmar513 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly Obese people have issues about themselves and we lose weight for other people... once you realize you need to lose weight for yourself, it because a purpose in life and you have STRONG will power.. WILL power is the answer...
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thats a good point...and I believe this is often the case for ppl who have gained 100 + pounds.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Of course we all knew that but now we know exactly what causes this and can understand the importance of not losing weight too quickly. So this brings up the obvious questions. How fast/slow should we lose weight to make it enduring? Now that they know what to target, how soon before drugs are developed to control the effects of "this NPY circuit" - for those that need them? This could replace gastroplasty (stomach stapling).

It's about habits, as the article said "quick weight loss doesn't work." the reason why people who are obese have a difficult time is because they can't do a 180 with their diet. I would eat Tacobell and mcdonalds almost daily, never ate home cooked food. You thin I can suddenly eat "healthy" it doesn't work that way. You have to make gradual changes and really "understand weight loss." You can eat your favorite foods, just not as much. You don't have to eat like a rabbit. A lot of people miss this.

To keep it off it goes back to the habits. If someone starves themselves and loses 30lbs in 2 months, and another person loses 30lbs in 6 months. Who will most likely keep it off? The person who has PRACTICED(HABITS) the most. This is another reason why quick weight loss doesn't work.

Keep it simple, don't get emo on your bad days, and be consistent. that's it.

This for sure. Some of my very first changes were ordering regular hamburgers instead of big macs at mcdonalds. Also, trading chalupas for regular tacos at taco bell. I probably lost my first 30 pounds doing just that.