AFO advise for ankle braces for tiny child.

Options
Hello, I need some help. I have a 22 month old who is very tiny (18 lbs). SHe is just learned to kinda get around, not crawling, but kinda drag- leaping or something. Anyway, her ankles turn in when she puts weight on them. Just recently, her new doctor put her on pedia-sure, which caused her to gain weight (yay) but it made the turning in of her ankles worse. She can pull herself up to standing against the couch, but cannot go anywhere after that. She does not alternate her steps when i do her therapy. We are working on it. Her feet are so tiny, (0-3 months) and so i cant find a supportive walking shoe at that size. Any suggestions? what do you do? Advice on anything to do with AFOs is welcome, thanks, Jen

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    No advice but she is beautiful! I will keep her in my prayers.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The doctor can't tell you where to get them specially ordered? Its probably not something you''ll be able to find at a store, but there are medical companies that fit kids for things like that....maybe call and ask your doc?
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Typically, children use their toes so much for balance while learning to walk that shoes aren't recommended until they know how to walk. I don't suspect that shoes would do much to help with the situation anyways. All you can do is work with her physical therapist until the has better muscle tone.
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Have you tried somewhere like Stride Rite? My DD was a micropreemie (she's almost 4 now), and she had to wear AFOs for awhile (for pronation (ankles turning in) and hypotonia (low muscle tone), but she was 18 months and has big feet, lol. But like a PP said, I wouldn't think that shoes would be necessary other than something to cover her feet. All of her support will come by way of the AFOs.

FWIW, my DD only had to wear them for about 6 months, and now she just wears regular shoe inserts. She is still a little behind in gross motor (running, jumping, climbing, etc.) but nothing major.
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My oldest daughter wears AFOs and finding shoes is a hassle!

Stride Rite has good shoes for AFOs, and also Hatchback shoes (we order from Armbraces.com), and Keeping Pace makes shoes and boots for AFOs although I don't know how small they come.

Once in a while we'll have luck finding a regular pair of shoes that go over the top. Look for something that is wide and will open right up in the lacing area, take out the inserts at the bottom to create some depth. It's hit and miss, but if you spend some time searching you can find something that works and at a significantly lower price than the specialty shoes.
  • couvetwitt3
    Options
    get a referral from your doctor or diagnosis and go to a professional prosthetic's maker they will evaluate and let you know if AFO's are needed. If you are without insurance or low income a Shriner's or other early intervention or DDD may be able help you. My oldest will be 18 in April and has had them most of his life, the sooner your evaluated the sooner the problem may be treated and with prayer may end up without any issues when she's older:) God Bless:)
  • couvetwitt3
    Options
    P.S We have tried lots of shoes, best luck we have is with skater shoes we take out the inside. Your AFO maker can order you special socks just ask and see, sometimes they even provide shoes(shriner's does.)
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    awwwww thx!
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    oh i thought she had to have shoes...hm, cool
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    Sorry, i should have included that she was casted today for the braces. They should arrive in about 2 weeks. I thought i had to have shoes with them? can she go without shoes? I thought the braces would fall off? I'm not even sure what she is getting. I don't even know what they look like. they just casted her and said see ya. but keep the advice coming, and thanks a bunch
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Every pair of AFOs I've ever seen had straps to hold them on. The problem with going without shoes is that the AFO is made of hard plastic and slippery. My daughter had one pair that had a foam heel built up on the bottom of them so she could go in a stander without shoes, otherwise she has always worn shoes over the top when walking.