Oh. Dear. God! What have I done???

Options
I just committed to a 5k color run!! I haven't ran since my senior year of high school, about 20 year ago. 1. I don't know what got into me and made me say yes and 2. I have no idea where to even start to prepare myself. :noway:

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    C25K !!!
    It takes out the guess work, and you will be amazed with what you can accomplish.

Set some post race goals to make sure you keep running. Running gets much more fun after 6 months or so
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Seconding the C25K suggestion. Also, I did The Color run for my first 5K. It was a lot of fun and it's very relaxed. There will be people of all fitness levels there. Good luck and have fun!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yup - Couch to 5k!!

Also, you can always walk these 5k charity races. I do.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Here you go! I signed up for it too. All of my team members are marathon runners so I am probably going to die.

d4ryb.jpg
  • catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    How long do you have to prepare? I echo the above commentor, C25K! Alternatively you can make your own run-walk programme where you gradually increase the run time but you need to be honest with yourself when you do it with no cheating or going easy. You'll be fine though! You're not crazy for signing up. People who don't run are the crazy ones to me. Lol. But seriously, I never thought I could run. I had such a tough time at school doing it. Once I left school, I couldn't even run 400m without wanting to throw up. I started my running just doing 1 minute running, 1 walking for 20 minutes. My running pace was slow (felt fast to me at the time!) About three months later, I ran a 5k. I never thought I could ever achieve it. There's something awesome about setting yourself an almost-impossible goal and then achieving it; it literally changed my life for the better. I hope you experience the same feeling! GOOD LUCK!

Cat
    Beachbody coach
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    C25K FTW! Just in case you didn't see mentioned in every other post above mine. :D
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one this summer, but I'm going to walk it with an occasional jog. Nothing wrong with that. I'm NOT a runner.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I signed up for the Spartan Race in June...i am NOT a runner...have past back issues, and am 41!!!

but i want to do it...

i dont care if I run, crawl, or walk.

i will finish.

and so can you
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're gonna have SO MUCH FUN!!! :drinker:
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think its great you signed up and I bet you do better than you think. I printed out the chart the previous poster did for the breakdown of how to prepare cause I would like to work on trying too :) Good luck to you. Like Mizzie, I won't be able to "run" but walking with an occasional jog I might be able ot handle. My jog will be more like someone's quick walk, lol, say 3.5 to 4 mph. hahaha, but hey at least I want to try.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one on Sunday!
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Here you go! I signed up for it too. All of my team members are marathon runners so I am probably going to die.

d4ryb.jpg

This is perfect! Thank you!! I'm going to do it. That first minute of running has me scared but I'll do it til I drop! Then, I'll lay there a minute and get up and do it again!! I have heard about the C24K before. Is it something I can find online? Thanks for all the great suggestions and such awesome encouragement!! Ya'll rock!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Oh, and it's on June 8th in Louisville so I think I have plenty of time to get ready for it.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It's a blast whether you run or not. Most people did a jog/walk in the one I did.

Just as an FYI: keep your mouth closed when you run through the color stations. It doesn't taste good. :smile: And be prepared to have stained skin for a few days. That stuff gets everywhere.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    5k isnt all that bad. Its 3 miles that you dont have a time limit on.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in mid August and ran my 1st 5k race the beginning of December. I did another 5k race in January and I've run 10k distance on my own, looking for an official 10k race to sign up for this spring. My goal is to run a 15k this fall. (I think I'll reserve the summer months for taking advantage of running the indoor track at the Y where there is air conditioning. I dont like running in the heat.) Right now I can do about 12k so I have every hope that 15k will be easy-breezy-lemon-squeezy by fall time, so if I do that I just might think about a half marathon for New Years 2014. I guess we'll just have to see!

It took me roughly 5 months or so to go from not being able to run a block to being able to run 7 miles. I was over 300 lbs when I started. If I can do it, so can you. Btw, I'm about 270 now and that still doesnt stop me from running over 25 miles a week (2-7 miles at a time 5 or 6 days a week.)
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This is perfect! Thank you!! I'm going to do it. That first minute of running has me scared but I'll do it til I drop! Then, I'll lay there a minute and get up and do it again!! I have heard about the C24K before. Is it something I can find online? Thanks for all the great suggestions and such awesome encouragement!! Ya'll rock!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Yup! Here's the website (there is also an app you can get for your phone):
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I signed up for the Spartan Race in June...i am NOT a runner...have past back issues, and am 41!!!

but i want to do it...

i dont care if I run, crawl, or walk.

i will finish.

and so can you

I am still not sure what got into me when I signed up for the Spartan Race up here in June lol However; I made a promise to myself so I will finish it.

OP, just do your best if you end up crossing the finish line on your hands and knees at least you cross it ;)
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    congrats.... you're going to have so much fun.... and I agree with the other posters who have suggested the c25k plan.... i am not a runner, am overweight (although on my way to being fit and fabulous) and just completed week 1 last week and am doing week 2 this week.

No matter what, you'll be able to Walk it... so don't sweat it...

AND in going though the program, you can follow the plan, but if at any time you feel like it's too difficult, you can always repeat a day or a week or whatever....

You've got this!
  • carissa317
    Options
    I am doing the color run on April 6th in Atlanta! I am so psyched, I have heard nothing but good things! It looks like a ball! I am on Week 3 of C25k in preperation for the color run, and I am loving it!