Okay, I'm worried!

Options
After reading olaloki's rant post, she may come here and chew my *kitten* for posting this but neener neener, I'm going to anyway lol. I tried this apparently back in April of 2011 according to when it says I joined. I thought it was more recent than that but I guess not. Anyway, I'm not gonna lie...I only did this for a week and got discouraged because I only lost 1 lb. the first week. I have always lost 2 lbs. per week on WW so I'm sure I got off of here and back on WW to obviously not stick with it. That was my reason for the post about how this was in comparison to WW. I guess I could get off my *kitten* and figure out my points vs. my calories and see how they compare. I'm okay with losing slowly...2lbs. per week is slow but I want to lose at least that per week. I'm just worried that 1200 calories per day may be too many.

Replies

• Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    1 week is a retarded sample size. You can't draw any conclusions from it.
  • DWCPHC
    Options
    I just started this and I can't keep it down to 1200 calories most days. Are you able to do any type of exercise?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You have 38lbs to lose according to your ticker... 2lbs per week is too high of a weight loss goal. Stop trying to lose quickly. Proper weight loss is slow... unless you want loose skin and little muscle.

Relax... set your goal to 1lb per week and eat those calories. Take it slowly... you didn't put it on overnight so stop trying to take it off so quickly.
  • BGM325
    BGM325 Posts: 78
    Options
    I find that it's way easier to track calories here than points on WW. I started on WW (the free, generic version) & it was a pain in my butt cause I ate tons of fruit & veggies, didn't use up my points & felt like I had to eat when I wasn't' hungry. I still eat some WW foods. I am super lazy & forgetful & I've managed to track everything so anyone can do it. Do it! Good Luck!! :happy:
  • Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well aren't you a sweetheart! LOL!
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1. 2 lbs a week is pretty amazing. You may want to get
    your expectations in check.

2. Read this;
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    I just started this and I can't keep it down to 1200 calories most days. Are you able to do any type of exercise?
    Yes, I just got back from the gym as a matter of fact. It more than made up for the 53 calories I went over today.
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    1. 2 lbs a week is pretty amazing. You may want to get
    your expectations in check.

2. Read this;
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    2 lbs. per week is what I am aiming for. I would be thrilled with 2 lbs. per week!
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have lost four pounds in 5 weeks and i think that is awesome...to lose more than two pounds is alright if you are extremely overweight...I also think that 1200 calories is too low...I know I try to eat at least 1200, sometimes I do, sometimes i dont quite make it, but i also believe in eating when im hungry...if you stick with it, youll see results....its not a quick fix...I have to tell myself that it took me ten years to put on the extra 25 pounds and if it takes me a year to take it off, so be it...But I must say that my energy level is so much better and my hubby says im not so *****y...lol
    Ive never tried WW so I cant compare the two, but I know that this is working for me...Good luck!!
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    Thanks Dakryn!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Why are you in such a hurry to lose weight? I lose maybe 1lb a month and I'm happy with that. Your weight loss doesn't have to be nearly as slow as mine buti think 1lb/week is reasonable for you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think 2lbs/wk is actually too fast for you with only 38lbs to lose. I think 1-1.5lb/wk is more realistic, and will give you a greater chance of success at maintenance. Let me pose a question- when you lost the 2lbs/wk with WW, were you ever able to maintain it long-term?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is probably not enough.

My best advice is join this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Sure, everyone has their own way of doing things, but the things you will learn from the administrators of this group, you would probably have to pay for to get from a nutritionist and a personal trainer.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options

If you're going to look for weekly validation it's just going to mess with your head and make you lose focus. You need to set a caloric target and then stick it out for at least a month - log everything accurately, track your weight readings in a spreadsheet, etc and then review.

But wondering why after 1 week you're only down 1 lb and not 2 lbs is counterproductive
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    I think 2lbs/wk is actually too fast for you with only 38lbs to lose. I think 1-1.5lb/wk is more realistic, and will give you a greater chance of success at maintenance. Let me pose a question- when you lost the 2lbs/wk with WW, were you ever able to maintain it long-term?
    I could deal with 1.5 lbs. I kept the 47 lbs. off that I lost on WW for 2 years. Maybe a little longer. It is what it is so I'm just gonna admit that I gained it back because I got careless, stopped eating healthy and just ate whatever I wanted. Totally my fault. I started a new job and let me tell you, those girls believed in eating and we'd take turns bringing lunch or dinner and never anything remotely healthy. That's when I started gaining weight.
  • Tecia1970
    Options

If you're going to look for weekly validation it's just going to mess with your head and make you lose focus. You need to set a caloric target and then stick it out for at least a month - log everything accurately, track your weight readings in a spreadsheet, etc and then review.

But wondering why after 1 week you're only down 1 lb and not 2 lbs is counterproductive
    I get what you are saying and I agree with you. I have always been a slave to the scale and it drives my husband crazy. He tells me I'm too obsessed with the numbers and he's probably right. But he also tells me I'm not fat and that I'm beautiful. I think that's because he's scared to say otherwise lol.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is slow? Okay......
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried that 1200 calories per day may be too many.

Dude. It's NOT. It's too few
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    Two pounds a week is slow? Okay......
    I guess I should have said that it's what I consider normal. It's just what I am used to losing, that's all.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Did you really just come here to flaunt that you eat 1200 calories per day and that you want to eat even less because you fear that 1200 is too much? This should be good...all you are really going to get is negative feedback on this. Eating 1200 calories a day or less is way to low and weight loss should be slow and steady so it STAYS off.