Alcohol

Options
1235»

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that some people are seriously bashing those who don't drink. You don't HAVE to drink to have fun and just because you don't drink doesn't make you a "stick in the mud." Some people are truly sick and have alcoholism so even though one or two drinks every now and then won't hurt the average person it could really harm an alcoholic. Have some respect people!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I drink socially and ocassionally. I find it's mostly around the holiday, and a glass of wine or maybe a mixed drink here and there. I don't over do it, so I never really feel any negative side effects from it. My husband doesn't drink at all. Never has. I didn't believe him when he first told me, but his family confirmed it. I think his history with his parents drinking probably made it not anything he wanted to ever get into. I respect that a lot. You don't have to drink to have a good time. 95% of the time I'm not drinking, 100% of the time he isn't and we have a lot of fun together.
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any alcohol since Jan 1st and feel really great.My resolve regarding diet and exercise isn't as good when I drink and I would prefer to eat my calories than drink them.Good luck.Feel free to ad me.
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    I've noticed if I don't drink for a few weeks, I'm a super lightweight when I do drink again. That's a good thing, though, cause I'll only have one or two drinks, instead of 5 like the old days.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've noticed if I don't drink for a few weeks, I'm a super lightweight when I do drink again. That's a good thing, though, cause I'll only have one or two drinks, instead of 5 like the old days.
    I think that's what happens when we get older :p
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I pretty much gave it up 3 years ago. I'll have a glass of wine on occasion to please my DH who hates to drink alone but has gotten used to it. I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol and it makes me very tired, too quickly. My buzz is pretty much turned to a snore in a matter of minutes. I also don't need alcohol to have fun, dance or socialize so I figured why bother with the extra caloris. I'm pretty content on sipping cranberry/soda and rolling in laughter at my drunken friends.
  • AinE_75
    Options

The worst thing about alcohol though for me is how you let your guard down when you are drunk/hungover. I will always make awful food choices on these occasions! I

Same for me! Once I have couple of glasses of wine I often start eating like crazy! Even if I do not want to... :(
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that some people are seriously bashing those who don't drink. You don't HAVE to drink to have fun and just because you don't drink doesn't make you a "stick in the mud." Some people are truly sick and have alcoholism so even though one or two drinks every now and then won't hurt the average person it could really harm an alcoholic. Have some respect people!

Was this addressed to me!?
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have cut WAY back on the drinks. Used to have a beer with dinner most nights, now I have water. I drink beer/cocktails at the weekends, and then I limit myself to no more than 3 total drinks. I find I would rather eat my calories than drink them.

I like food!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Was this addressed to me!?

Not at all!
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with a drink here and there... I'm not really into alcohol though. I do have a drink occasionally, nothing wrong with it, and moderate intake is shown to have positive health effects. The biggest problem with alcohol is if you consume too much of it.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I had read alcohol can slow your metabolism by up to 70%.

I use to drink wine sometimes before I started dieting. That was also before my Dr. pointed out I'm allergic to it and should stay away from alcohol all together.

So, I'd say I definitely feel better not having it in my life.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I had read alcohol can slow your metabolism by up to 70%.

references?

I find that if I fit alcohol into my calorie macros, it makes no difference to my weight loss at all. (alcohol is HIGH in calories, so we're talking one drink usually, a maximum of two and two is rare)

Alcohol is good for other reasons, but again, only in that one or two drink maximum. The negatives assert themselves when overconsumed.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i think i'd still be REALLY chunky if i was still drinking....i'm 5.5 years sober. quit for reasons totally unrelated to my diet. i feel MUCH better about myself and my insides thank me too.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I quit being sober due to how it makes me feel.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    No drinking for me. It's gross and makes me feel fat.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I am one of the small percentage of the population who do not get hangovers.

Just came to laugh at the rest of you.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Celebrated 6 years on Sunday.

Life is good.

...and I don't get hangovers either :laugh:
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Dear people who don't drink, WHAT DO YOU DO ON THE WEEKENDS?

Everything.

and more

Starting very early in the morning.

With a clear head.