How to eat healthy when the rest of your family isn't?

Options
I'm a student and am living at home and I usually eat super healthy all day but when it comes to dinner (sometimes healthy, sometimes completely not) I just eat it because I'm exhausted by the time I get home from university, not to mention starving! So I'm just wondering how I should go about trying to eat healthy when the rest of your family isn't? This is the main reason I don't think it's realistic for me to go vegan/vegetarian because I don't want to make my fam put in extra effort to feed me!

Thanks for the answers/advice in advance! :)

Replies

• justagirlgeek
    justagirlgeek Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I visit family, I eat what they eat, but in much smaller portions.
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    This is crazy, I am the exact same way. They all think I'm kindof on a random health kick and they're totally supportive (well, they're not out of their way supportive, but they're not against it either). My mom isn't against my whole healthy alternatives, she finds it rather humorous.

It's probably not a good idea to go vegetarian - I've wanted to do that for a while, but I couldn't because that'd cause too much stress on my mom. When you move out and support yourself, you can definitely choose your own diet because you're the one that's going to be buying the groceries.

You can eat what everyone else eats, but eat it in smaller portions, especially when the family is having a "family night" type of get-together with the usual fatty, greasy foods that MPR usually frowns upon.

It's alright to indulge with your family every once in a while and don't let the health get in between you guys.

You can always offer to buy granola bars and snacks that your siblings/parents may like - Fiber One bars are healthier WITH the added sweet-tooth satisfier. Give that a go and see what they think.

Otherwise, just stress the significance of fruits and veggies. And they'll get it.

:) Friend request me if you need more advice!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep. You just have to plan your day so you can fit in a reasonable dinner no matter what is made at home. Maybe have a snack on your way home so you're not ravenous and can think straight about making right decisions for your goal.

You have to want it.
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a student and am living at home and I usually eat super healthy all day but when it comes to dinner (sometimes healthy, sometimes completely not) I just eat it because I'm exhausted by the time I get home from university, not to mention starving! So I'm just wondering how I should go about trying to eat healthy when the rest of your family isn't? This is the main reason I don't think it's realistic for me to go vegan/vegetarian because I don't want to make my fam put in extra effort to feed me!

Thanks for the answers/advice in advance! :)

You could prepare your meals ahead. It takes some planning but healthier versions of soups, lasagnes, noodle dishes etc can all be made ahead of time and refrigerated/ frozen. Keep good quality, high-fibre bread at home and eat it with things like cheese and ham + tomatos. It is not exotic but it is nourishing and will fill you up. Being a student, I'm not sure what your finances are like but if you're able to avoid your own groceries, the above may be an idea. If not, you can eat what your family eats but go for strict portion control. But that's the hard part!
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In order to not stress my mom over cooking, I cook my own food if I don't want to eat what they're having... and if I don't have time, or if I don't feel like cooking a very elaborated meal, I go with something simple: cereal and skimmed milk, or a low fat turkey ham sandwich (whole wheat bread :) ) or both if I'm really hungry!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    On the weekend make a big freezable batch of something healthy that you like. Portion it out, freeze it and when you get home and dinner isn't fitting in with your plan, microwave and munch!

Have a snack on the way home so you aren't starved when you get there.

Buy frozen vegies to bulk your plate when you do have a small portion of the food your family is eating.

I don't eat them, but stock up on a few calorie controlled frozen meals.

It takes planning, but it very do-able!
  • these are all great ideas! Thanks everyone :)